Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back from vacation, even tho I wanted to splurge, it didn't happen. We spent most of the week at the timeshare and the kids chose free activities (4-5 different pools, games, movie nights, and picnics). One day at the mouse park. Cooked most meals as we had more time, but exchanged child care with friends and had a date night with DW. Everyone was happy with the vacation.

I accepted the opportunity at the mid-size bank, 5k sign on bonus, 5k bump in base, smaller bonus % but history of payout is at 100%. A few less PTO days but flexible if I need to start/leave early for my kids activities. (I networked with someone that worked for the new boss previously and confirmed it's not all talk). I will start in 2 - 3 weeks.

Current employer is sweetening the severance package by a few weeks as employees want actual notice of end date. This kinda blows my mind as I took it as notice once told jobs were eliminated, but the whining may translate to 3 - 4 extra weeks of pay. Notice to begin after internal interviews are completed. If I play this right, I might get a total of 5-6 months of pay. At this point, I'm not looking back, but playing nice.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!!!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mead - Thanks for the message & congrats. A different interview in Chicago was with a former boss and he echoed similiar comments. He wanted me to join his team but I didn't want the commute and possible travel.

His verbal offer would of shorten the FIRE window, but it's not a race for me. I'm still on target in my mind and the game is to enjoy my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Aiming, you sound like the kind of person I would want to have on my team. Keep the positive attitude and stay ahead of the game, and you will always land on your feet.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You did the right thing, you looked at the opportunities before you with your FAMILY life in mind first, and it looks like it all worked out........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote