Just a rant

Oh...one more thing. Under no..I mean NO circumstances should you elect the Redux @ 15 years. It's a terrible, terrible plan and I have NEVER met anyone who didn't regret it. So...NO!!!

NEVER!! It's a suckers game!

Sometimes it is easiest to just give up and allow people to keep believing whatever it is that they want to believe. It isn't going to make your retirement any less real.

Very true :dance:

My MIL freaked out a little at me going part time. In her view these are the years where we save for retirement. We finally let her know a little about our net worth and that got her off our back. She isn't very financially literate, and is one of those incredibly lucky ones with an awesome pension (Probation Officer for the county sheriff) that allowed her to retire at 56 this year.

....she's hoping we hang out more. :rolleyes:

The way I look it is that if you've retired from the military, you've earned the right to do whatever it is you want to do. You've downright sacrificed for your career and your country.

And for those that have earned enough and/or saved enough to retire early, more power to you. Go enjoy life.

My father prepared for many years for his early retirement. I was fortunately able to retire at one year of age younger than he--with substantially more retirement funds. I've worked hard at learning not to work so hard and long, and I had a great teacher.

And I'm proud for anyone that can do the same.

I don't get too much crap from my co-workers, and I never indicate that I plan to do just 20 years. As others have said, it can be a career killer if you say it to the wrong person. I do, however, usually get an earful from my boss when the subject of retirement comes up. My boss is at 22 years and "ready" to punch out. I'm just coming up on 13 years. He's constantly talking about getting a civilian job and writing his resume. I have no plans to do any of that, and when I mention that I have no intentions of working when I retire, he says the same things, "you'll get bored," "you'll want a job." WRONG! FIRE has been my dream since before I even knew FIRE was a thing. All I knew was that when I retire from the military, I never want to work again.

I don't let any of it bother me though. It doesn't upset me when anyone makes it clear that they doubt my plans. It just motivates me even more to prove them wrong. I'm looking forward to being part of the class of 2023!

I just want to be clear because several people have brought it up:

I've never indicated to coworkers or the assignments team that I want to retire right at 20 years. I always, always say that I want to do at least 20 years. Meaning, I am happy to do more if I'm still enjoying myself. Probably no more than 25, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If the topic comes up I do sometimes say that I want to be financially ready to retire when I hit 20 years but I always follow that with "so I can choose to stay in because I like my job, not because I have to."

I appreciate everybody's concern!

I do, however, usually get an earful from my boss when the subject of retirement comes up. My boss is at 22 years and "ready" to punch out. I'm just coming up on 13 years. He's constantly talking about getting a civilian job and writing his resume. I have no plans to do any of that, and when I mention that I have no intentions of working when I retire, he says the same things, "you'll get bored," "you'll want a job." WRONG!
Feel free to give your boss (and any other skeptics) my e-mail address... NordsNords at Gmail. Or maybe they'll be more comfortable just browsing the first few months of the blog's posts.

14+ years, no boredom. If anything, life has occasionallybeen busier than I want because I have only mself to blame for overscheduling.

And if I want a job, I'll make my own.

Sometimes it is easiest to just give up and allow people to keep believing whatever it is that they want to believe. It isn't going to make your retirement any less real.
Had an experience similar to this, just yesterday. A co-worker has been pushing my buttons with his views of politics, gold, constitution, etc. This has been going on for about a year. Until yesterday, I tried to avoid it by changing subject, etc.

He brought up a hot-button topic (really inappropriate in an office), trying to engage me. Rather than deflect or debate, I mentioned how happy I was to work with everyone. He then asked if I was going out for lunch. LOL. We work in an idyllic setting, so I had plenty of time to point out the beautiful surroundings, talk about the reliability of direct deposit, and so on. Eventually he admitted that he was wrong, and at a previous job he was cautioned about his behavior.

You really don't have to convert or convince others. Just be secure in your own plan and try to ignore the noise.

I just broke up with a guy who would correct me whenever I mentioned retirement no matter how many conversations we had on the topic. I would say 'when I retire at 52' and he would say 'IF you retire....'

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I just broke up with a guy who would correct me whenever I mentioned retirement no matter how many conversations we had on the topic. I would say 'when I retire at 52' and he would say 'IF you retire....'
Good call! Putting up with someone like that is more aggravation than you will need WHEN you retire at 52. :D There are lots of fish in the sea.

He sounds like a real peach.

There are lots of folks to whom "early retirement" is not possible, an "impossible dream"

For whatever reason they can't (or won't) save and invest what is required.

I work with a bunch of people who all are required to retire early due to regulation. Even in that category there are some who couldn't imagine being done working in their late 40's-mid 50's. Blows my mind. I tell them I just want the means to be able to stop working by 50. If I'm still having fun I'll stay, if not then I won't! Most agree with that thinking.

Back
Top Bottom