Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Last Lecture" professor dead at 47
Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Last Lecture" professor dead at 47

If you haven't already heard of this guy ... a college professor diagnosed with cancer and given six months to live ... made a "last lecture" at Carnegie Mellon that's made the rounds on YouTube ... died today at 47. Inspirational guy for the way he kept up his spirits in the face of certain death.

'Last lecture' professor dies of cancer - Education - MSNBC.com

Another reason why waiting until your FIRE plans hit a 100% success rate and assuming you live to 100 may not be the right choice for everyone, especially if you find little or no happiness in what you do for money.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep, thats a good lesson.

The guy that sat in the office next to me died of cancer a couple of years after I retired. He had retired once but went back to work because he was a little nervous about not having enough money.

Guy up the hall died about six months later of cancer. Got about 3 months notice.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

From the lecture:

Quote:
So today’s talk was about my childhood dreams, enabling the dreams of others, and some lessons learned. But did you figure out the head fake? It’s not about how to achieve your dreams. It’s about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you. Have you figured out the second head fake? The talk’s not for you, it’s for my kids.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The book he wrote is a good read also.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yep, thats a good lesson.

The guy that sat in the office next to me died of cancer a couple of years after I retired. He had retired once but went back to work because he was a little nervous about not having enough money.

Guy up the hall died about six months later of cancer. Got about 3 months notice.
My sister is about to die from cancer. The doctor gave her two weeks. She always played by her own rules though so she never wasted her life in an office. I'll be pretty upset if I die from cancer and I've spent more time working than living.
Frugality_of_Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your sister, Frugality of Apathy. I'm glad that your sister sounds like a person who took advantage of the time she was given.

Honestly, I don't know if I can say the same about myself at this point. Hard work is nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't want to spend the majority of my life in my office, and lately it's been that way.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality_of_Apathy View Post
My sister is about to die from cancer. The doctor gave her two weeks. She always played by her own rules though so she never wasted her life in an office. I'll be pretty upset if I die from cancer and I've spent more time working than living.
Cancer is a beast. Unfortunately, most all families are touched by cancer. My brother retired at 50 but three years later, he was having surgery for cancer. A couple of years later, he was gone. I'm really sorry about your sister.

I would like to think I could be strong and try and enjoy each remaining day as the college professor did. He was amazing.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Early detection is the only way to go.

Hope everyone start to get yearly check-ups NOW. Found out my cholesterol was high....I'm 29...6-2..only weigh 165lbs...was a shocker to me.