Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Like a raisin in the sun?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"Like a raisin in the sun?"... ooooh, very literarily appropriate. Extremely subtle too.
Ok, for the denser members of this forum, can one of you explain? This isn't a reference
to the play of the same name is it?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

yes, but Lorraine Hansberry got the title of her work from a Langston Hughes poem:

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

Since I'm a young dreamer and I was deffering my dream, I thought it appropriate. The difference (besides not being a struggling lower middle class black family facing mid-20th century racism) is we are trading in one great dream for another, and I'm doing so voluntarily. A much better place to be.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dont sweat it. Raisins are already dried out. Now if you were a grape...then you'd have some worries.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
Ok, for the denser members of this forum, can one of you explain?* This isn't a reference to the play of the same name is it?
One of our textbooks in high school English was on writing research papers. For some reason its demonstration topic was the play "Raisin in the Sun".

Everything else I know about real literature comes from Cliff Notes.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you believe in karma then your "small" sacrifice will be rewarded in kind. You never know, perhaps your DW like Diane Keaton in Baby Boom, may start a home grown business while taking care of her baby. You may have the misfortune of having to retire even earlier than you ever dreamed.

MJ
Old 03-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
If you believe in karma then your "small" sacrifice will be rewarded in kind. You never know, perhaps your DW like Diane Keaton in Baby Boom, may start a home grown business while taking care of her baby. You may have the misfortune of having to retire even earlier than you ever dreamed.

MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Laurence, I think you will find that having DW at home is the way to go with Tori and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I also really doubt that it will impact your FIRE date that much.

...After she quit, she had time to get stuff done on the house, start up her part time business (gross 5 to 10k a year) to keep her active in her field, and generally take care of things that we would have had to pay someone to do. When she had our daughter, she had the time to spend with her.
I thought I'd update this thread: I had no doubt about your two comments, but I didn't expect such quick fruition! DW made her intentions clear to the bosses on Friday, and caused quite a stir! Long story short, there is an emergency meeting on Monday to hammer out a consulting agreement so she can work from home, prolly 10 hours a week. In addition, her former boss is now a VP at a small start up and called her to inqire about consulting a bit for him, too! Needless to say, DW is very excited to get the best of both worlds. Leaving a career she loved was sad for her, this has been an great turn of events.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What wonderful news--congrats to your wife for being a great wife, mother, and employee! You guys are more like grapes fermenting into fine wine in aged French oak barrels at a California winery with a great wine-maker, a beautiful view, and daily tasting 1-4pm... then like raisins in the sun.* 8)
Old 03-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I thought I'd update this thread:* I had no doubt about your two comments, but I didn't expect such quick fruition!* DW made her intentions clear to the bosses on Friday, and caused quite a stir!* Long story short, there is an emergency meeting on Monday to hammer out a consulting agreement so she can work from home, prolly 10 hours a week.* In addition, her former boss is now a VP at a small start up and called her to inqire about consulting a bit for him, too!* Needless to say, DW is very excited to get the best of both worlds.* Leaving a career she loved was sad for her, this has been an great turn of events.
Sweet! I am glad things worked out so well. I think in many ways, we make our own opportunities when we choose/need to. Just make sure that your DW doesn't get so bound up in consulting work that whe misses out on time for Tori.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote