Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for input/advice please
Old 08-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking for input/advice please

So this is the post mentioned in the introduction thread.

I'd appreciate any honest assessment from you folks who have done it or are aspiring to pull off an early retirement.

The numbers and data are truish, I may have rounded a very little bit here and there, but they are pretty realistic

I'm 48 and single. Likely to never get married.

Current income: ~200K (gross)

Current accounts:

401K: 420K It's a higher expense account with less than great options, but it is what it is.

Vanguard taxable account: 572K Mostly index funds. Some individual stocks.

Vanguard IRA: 70K. Again, mostly Vanguard funds.

Vanguard Roth IRA: 95K Mostly Vanguard index funds.

My Vanguard portfolio has garnered a bit over 10% annually since 2005.

AA of all the Vanguard funds is 93% stock and 7% bond.

HSA: 63K Smattering of somewhat conservative funds.

The only debt that I have is about 170K on my mortgage.

As for savings:

IRA, HSA and 401K are maxed out every year.

I also put away about 30K/year in the non-tax advantaged account.

If any of you would be so kind, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Alectoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Will you be eligible for a pension? SS?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have a good handle on what you'd need to spend annually in retirement? It is really the ratio of assets to spending that counts.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

SS at around 2k/month. No pension, I live in microcorp land.

As to assets to spending, I'm thinking about 3K a month for basic living. No debts. This is one of the things that I need to refine, which is a basic budget.

I know that I'm doing well with about a 50% savings rate, but I need to dial in a hardline budget.

Thanks all!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you retire early, what are your plans for medical coverage?
Your WR not including SS appears reasonable, so if you could lock in medical, it looks pretty good to me.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alectoris View Post
SS at around 2k/month. No pension, I live in microcorp land.

As to assets to spending, I'm thinking about 3K a month for basic living. No debts. This is one of the things that I need to refine, which is a basic budget.

I know that I'm doing well with about a 50% savings rate, but I need to dial in a hardline budget.

Thanks all!
Hi Alectoris.

If your income is 200k and you have a 50% savings rate then your spending/taxes is ~ 100k per year.

Granted that you will pay significantly less in income/payroll taxes in retirement. I would still want to see how you will get down from 100k to 36k spending.

FWIW The way that I handled this was to always track all of my expenses in quicken along with categories. I was then able to see what my expenses would be in retirement based on real data.

Is the 2k/month SS based on starting to draw at age 67?

Welcome Aboard!
-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #7

Before you do actually retire you will want to have firm, solid answers to these questions:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1399715
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Hi Alectoris.

If your income is 200k and you have a 50% savings rate then your spending/taxes is ~ 100k per year.

Granted that you will pay significantly less in income/payroll taxes in retirement. I would still want to see how you will get down from 100k to 36k spending.

FWIW The way that I handled this was to always track all of my expenses in quicken along with categories. I was then able to see what my expenses would be in retirement based on real data.

Is the 2k/month SS based on starting to draw at age 67?

Welcome Aboard!
-gauss

Thanks for making me think!

I need to clarify a bit. I was basing my savings on net income, which is about 120K. I save ~60k per year so that's 60k in expenses. Mortgage, which should be eliminated at retirement, is 21K per year. That leaves 39K in expenses. There are several expense items that I have to carry now due to work that will be eliminated. Unfortunately, I had to look into healthcare costs which are currently paid by employer. After looking at plans, the lost work expenses may be relegated to insurance coverage. BOOO!

You made me dig and answer my own question, thanks! I'll hopefully be able to pull out more than 36k/year, I wanted to set that as a bare bones level.

As to SS, I visited the quickcalc on the SS website and I think that if I entered the right numbers by stopping earnings at 58 I would get 2k/Month starting at age 62. My regular report where I work until normal retirement age and start withdrawals at 67 was around 3K I believe.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Glad to be of assistance!

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote