loving what you do

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Greg and I had the pleasure of visiting with my cousin's son yesterday. He lives in Brooklyn NY and was in town to visit his mother. He is a 27 year old engineer and his business partner is a metal artist. They started a business that does custom metal work. .:: 4th State Metals ::. Check on "in progress" and look at the film of them suspending police cars from a ceiling as part of an art installation. Great fun!

It was so enjoyable listening to someone excited about their work and their future. He even likes their landlord, who lets them cut holes in their building provided they patch them up later. And isn't concerned if rent is a few days late. :)

Anyway, enjoy your work. It is not all about ER.

They should meet my niece who lives in New York City and designs purses from skateboards .wwwbeckycity.com

I thought this was going to be a thread about lawyering.

He is a 27 year old engineer and his business partner is a metal artist. They started a business that does custom metal work.
When they get tired of the winters, there's lifetime employment out here for residential gates & balcony railings...

They should meet my niece who lives in New York City and designs purses from skateboards .wwwbeckycity.com

Hey, maybe we can fix them up! I love the purses.

When they get tired of the winters, there's lifetime employment out here for residential gates & balcony railings...

They are too high priced. Recently they did a $4000 toilet paper holder and magazine rack. :p

Wow. I can't get over their hours of operation. They love their job too.
You're not kidding.

Most of these guys used to be nuclear welding technicians at the Pearl Harbor Shipyard until the 1990s combination of supervisory personalities and the submarine force's drawdown encouraged them to seek other employment. Compared to 24-hour shiftwork and the radiography quality assurance hassles, today they probably feel like they're playing for pay.

I think they also get a lot of showroom traffic in the evenings. Most of these high-rolling customers are working all day and not "available" for shopping until after 6 PM.

Did I mention that the military and the state's crumbling infrastructure are making this island a lifetime-employment paradise for civil engineers, too?

<snip>

Did I mention that the military and the state's crumbling infrastructure are making this island a lifetime-employment paradise for civil engineers, too?

Next thing you're going to say is that there's a plentiful amount of money to solve these infrastructure problems. :2funny:

Don't get me wrong. If life was all $20 bills to fix $15 problems, I'd make a lot lower salary. :D

I can't imagine what Hawaiians pay for a cubic yard of concrete, a ton of Portland cement or a pound of reinforcing steel.

-CC

I can't imagine what Hawaiians pay for a cubic yard of concrete, a ton of Portland cement or a pound of reinforcing steel.
It's probably not made of the gold it's priced at.

But, hey, in the vast majority of the state you don't have to worry about freezing weather or snow loading. And you can cast concrete walls in a continuous pour!

Back
Top Bottom