Memorial Day weekend!! What are your plans?

Dh is working, I'm still recovering from surgery so it's a quiet weekend here. Parents may have a cookout tomorrow and if I'm up to it we may go to the parade in town. Pretty much the normal Memorial Day weekend here except I'd be working on planting annuals around the yard, my nephew is coming to help me out this week for some extra summer cash :)

We're spending the rest of Sunday rounding everyone up, moving out of the Greater Metropolitan Fishkill hotel, returning the cars, getting to the train station, and mounting our Manhattan invasion.

Isn't the mid-Hudson valley a beautiful place? To get from West Point to Fishkill you probably crossed the river at Bear Mtn, right? I grew up in the little town right across the river from West Point, Cold Spring, NY.

Mike D.

Back on Topic

We visited our neighbor's pet goat farm to meet the goats and see the new babies. They are very cute and loved the bread and sugar cookies that we brought with us.

Mike D.

Attachments

• goatBread.jpg
    goatBread.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • goatCookie.jpg
    goatCookie.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
You can feel free to share the collective naughty gestures issued by everyone here...
Well, he did get caught in the backsplash when frosty beverage spewed from my mouth as I choked over his comment.

Otherwise I reserve those gestures for the day when I can do as many pushups as he can do pullups.

Isn't the mid-Hudson valley a beautiful place? To get from West Point to Fishkill you probably crossed the river at Bear Mtn, right? I grew up in the little town right across the river from West Point, Cold Spring, NY.
Beautiful. Sure. All I could think about was how "beautiful" it must look under all those January snowdrifts. The fire hydrants even have three-foot-tall red & white striped fiberglass poles on top so that the firefighters can find them. Which probably isn't much good unless they bring a defroster too. My nephew kept pointing out all the places where he's slipped on the ice and abraded/broken various parts of his anatomy.

Going south on the Bear Mountain road, at the top of the pass, as you go over the top of the hill you look down the other side and it's a huge dropoff with just two flimsy concrete barriers between you and the world's longest hang time...

Gimme aloha and the Ko'olau any day. This trip is making me appreciate home even more.

Saturday - drove the roadster around all day (which was sunny and hot). Lunch in Kent, CT, a very lovely little town

Today - went to church; mowed the lawn; lunch out; roto-tilled the flower bed for the young wife; power washed the porches

Tomorrow - relax; grill some steaks and drink some wine.

Well, he did get caught in the backsplash when frosty beverage spewed from my mouth as I choked over his comment.

Otherwise I reserve those gestures for the day when I can do as many pushups as he can do pullups.

Beautiful. Sure. All I could think about was how "beautiful" it must look under all those January snowdrifts. The fire hydrants even have three-foot-tall red & white striped fiberglass poles on top so that the firefighters can find them. Which probably isn't much good unless they bring a defroster too. My nephew kept pointing out all the places where he's slipped on the ice and abraded/broken various parts of his anatomy.

Going south on the Bear Mountain road, at the top of the pass, as you go over the top of the hill you look down the other side and it's a huge dropoff with just two flimsy concrete barriers between you and the world's longest hang time...

Gimme aloha and the Ko'olau any day. This trip is making me appreciate home even more.

I grew up in the Hudson Valley. Somewhere there is a picture of my mother sitting on top of a snowbank next to the top two feet of a utility pole.

Once we were cut off for three days (electricity stayed on), the drifts were too deep to plow. They brought in front loaders and trucks and dumped the snow into the river.

I wax nostalgic.

And then there were the times we had to walk to school...800 miles each way...and uphill in both directions...through hundreds of feet of snow, barbed icicles thrown at us by giant yeti's...and this after spending the night in our house at -300 degrees, clinging to the windowsills because we couldnt afford floors. Fortunately we had a hearty breakfast of hot gravel which we harvested ourselves at 3am (so we had time to get to school of course) from a mine we dug under the house.

We really appreciated that house a few years later when we had to move and live in the middle of a road. We enjoyed the snow then, as we could heap it around us as protection from the snow plows and yeti's.

We went to West Point (graduation of relative?) when I was about four years old, and I still remember the experience; thanks for the reminder, Nords.

We've had a tradition of driving up the coast about 80 miles to a town in Oregon every memorial day. I think we'll skip it today, and spend the $48 we'll save on driving costs on a nice breakfast.

Just finished first tour of the year. Perfect weather (highs around 70, light winds).

Saturday - rode 100m down to Escondido, CA on coastal route
Sunday - rode 74m up to Corona on I15 frontage route
Monday - rode 62m home to Long Beach on Santa Ana River / coast route

It's been raining very hard for three days in the Houston area (with small breaks between consecutive hard rains) and most of the city seems to be staying indoors this holiday. My neighborhood looks like a ghost town when I venture outside...I did manage to power wash my driveway this morning before the heavier rains hit the area, though.

From what I hear, the rain is much lighter down on Galveston Island and the beaches there may be the place to be today...but I'm about 75 miles north of the island and I don't want to take the chance of driving that far for nothing, not to mention the probable crowds and traffic problems.

I spent part of Saturday and Sunday at Seattle Folk Life Festival. I've been going for years, an always have a good time. I have some friends that I mainly see there-people who live out in the country, or who are from other cities. There is a pretty large group who come from the Bay Area or Sacramento. Sunday night I watched the very moving Memorial Day Tribute from DC. This evening if I have the energy I may go back to Folk Life for the finale.

Ha

DGF had guests (an old h.s. friend and family).

Friday: humongous breakfast, visited JFK museum (i.e. the old Texas School Book Depository), had Tex-Mex at La Hacienda for dinner, then went to a double-A baseball game, only to be rained-out... :p

Saturday: make-up baseball game, dinner at Maggiano's. More rain... :rant:

Sunday: ribs, beer, and assorted trimmings on the BBQ. More rain... :bat:

Monday: w*rk...
310.gif

Albany, NY - saw some fam, visited a few breweries and drank all kinds of different beer
Saratoga Lake - smaller than most mega-lakes in the region but nice
Saratoga Springs - awesome town BTW, they planned it right; real estate prices are really rising in the area; saw some 1 bd condos right off the strip for 500k
Lake George - a bit crowded but nice first visit
Prospect Mountain - it was a clear day and we could see Vermont's Green Mtns off in the distance

Good weekend

Back
Top Bottom