Memorial Day weekend!! What are your plans?

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I posted this in the Young Dreamers, since we are still "employed" - but most of us will have a nice long weekend? What are your plans?

Here:

Friday - regular day off...closet purging, filing, etc.
Friday night - woohoo! Monte Carlo party sponsored by an investment group - should be a fancy shindig.

Sat/Sun: BF and I going into NYC/Queens with the bikes (bicycles)- crashing at friend's place in Queens :D

Sun night: Party at friend's >:D

Monday...LAZY - nothing special planned - I am feeling a couch day coming! (grillin' & chillin'):cool:

Please take a moment to reflect on the meaning of this holiday.

http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

Fireup

Avoid doing anything during the actual weekend as the beach and everything else will be packed with working stiffs. Then relax and party during the week after when everyone goes back to work.

Sunday we will visit my parents. The other days are open. Weather permitting, I am hoping to get in another batch of beer this weekend, and if its not too hot/rainy we will probably take the kids to pick strawberries at a local farm.

Friday...fly to Vancouver
Sat...enjoy Vancouver
Sun and Monday...cruise the Inside Passage.:D

Work, since we have no fixed holidays and yet the office will be quiet.

Wer'e supposed to have crap weather here in Chicago for the weekend (which is a tradition here)

I suppose I'm going to spend the weekend doing yard work, processing 3 months of digital images I have neglected, and doing some work on my cars that I have neglected.

Nothing to write home about

I posted this in the Young Dreamers, since we are still "employed" - but most of us will have a nice long weekend? What are your plans?.......................

Please take a moment to reflect on the meaning of this holiday.

Memorial Day History

Fireup

Saturday: We're going down to the local farmer's market in the morning.....and goof off the rest of the day!

Sunday: We'll watch (or at least listen to) the Indy 500, then watch the NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 from Lowe's Speedway near Charlotte......and goof off the rest of the day & evening!

Monday: We're going to the park downtown for the annual Memorial Day service, put on by the members of the local veterans organizations. Then we'll go to the luncheon they put on afterwards........and goof off the rest of the day!

some+gave+all.jpg

I have both Friday and Monday off, as well as the weekend. Frank probably just has the weekend.

I plan to spend Friday sleeping, doing laundry, and housework, and before dark I'll go to the gym. :angel:

Saturday and Sunday I'll spend with Frank. He always comes up with such interesting and cool things to do. I'm never bored with him. We'll probably go on a short "road trip" or some such thing, watch some DVD's, find a new restaurant to try... :D

Monday? I have NO IDEA - - and I like it that way! Maybe some yardwork. There will probably be a Memorial Day service in my town.

I haven't had this much time off since Mardi Gras, so it is very welcome.;)

Florida

We are headed to Orlando thanks to Priceline and discount airlines. We'll visit friends (used to live in Orlando) and spend a day at DisneyWorld. We love Epcot.

Going to NH and sailing out to the Isle of Shoals with my brothers and respective spouses. Then enjoying the rest of the weekend visiting. Really looking forward to it!

well...I didn't realize it was memorial day weekend until today (so much work lately both WORK work and personal work, that the time just flies). and my SO never mentioned it, silly boy, so I guess we're not doing anything special.

so my current plan is to spend the weekend clearing out as much of the apartment as humanly possible. Taking a TON of stuff to goodwill & pitching the rest. I dream of having a fabulously clean & decluttered apartment.

hmmm...maybe I need bigger & better dreams...

Well I can drive to Wilmington NC and then to Ocean Isle beach, Stay with mother and father in law, sister in law, niece, two brothers in laws and girl friends and oh my wife in a beat up beach house with an additional 3 old dogs of brother in law.

You know I think I will stay back in raleigh and enjoy some local lakes on my kayak!

I didn't realize we were coming up on Memorial Day. Most days in retirement are pretty much like a holiday anyway. :)

Coincidentally, I am going on an archaeology field trip to Prescott, AZ this weekend. Monday I start packing for 3 weeks in Hawaii. :D

Down to NC starting today. Do some work on the house, test the daysailor repair job, play on the water, try and likely fail to keep up with my 16 yr old on her beach runs.

Watching my nephew graduate from West Point on Saturday, then getting back down to Manhattan on Sunday to continue partying. I suspect Monday will be a good day to stay out of the traffic but we'll make it up as we go along...

Looking at traffic and beach reports for the weekend, heck I am retired why do I need to go anyplace on holiday weekends?

To wait say 2 hours for a dinner at a resturant?

Hummm, next week would be a better time.

I didn't realize we were coming up on Memorial Day. Most days in retirement are pretty much like a holiday anyway. :)

"Who are all these people, and why arent they at work?!?" Happens to me all the time.

Probably a good time for me to share my long weekend vacation strategy.

Almost everyone tries to 'game' the system by getting 9 days off in a row by taking the 4 days off after the holiday weekend. Only problem with that is so does everyone else. So you're 'vacationing' with 90 million yahoos at the beach, then everyone goes back to work and their head catches fire when they see that over a weeks worth of work crap is smouldering on their desk.

My strategy was to work the 'short' week, enjoy a nice quiet office with nearly zero people in it, get lots of paperwork and other 'catchup' stuff done, then take the following week off. Then everyone comes back from their 'vacation', they all run around screaming trying to catch up...and i'm at the nearly empty beach.

Only downside to this is sometimes people got grumpy that they wanted me to do something and I wasnt there.

Like I cared.

Friday....hung out with some friends.....painting canvases till 2am.
Saturday.....hung out with friends, went to a 7 year olds birthday party, chilling out with my little kittens.
Sunday....varnish paintings, all day bbq.
Monday-June 3...On Vacation!!!!
:cool:

West Point does a pretty good graduation ceremony.

Saturday morning at 6 AM the USMA security line stretched about five miles up the road from their first gate for a 9 AM event. Local police eventually got the traffic divided among the gates (sentries, ID checks, sniffers, dogs, who knows what else) and into the shuttle lot. The stadium was tighter-- bag searches (no backpacks or large bags), metal detectors, and Secret Service everywhere. Dick Cheney, of course, had the helicopter drop him off at the back entrance.

The crowd was 1000 "just get me outta here" cadets, the Corps' underclass, and about 8000 families & relatives. The process ran like a well-oiled machine through the various speeches. The Academic Dean made a comment about the ones who managed to stay ahead of him and who were thus recommended for their degrees. (The "Anchor Man", the class's lowest-ranked graduate, had a 2.003 GPA and received about $2000 in classmate & alumni donations.) After the cadets picked up their diplomas, reps from the Class of '57 met them behind the stage and presented them with their first set of 2LT bars. Kids lined the back of the field for the cadet hat toss and had a mad souvenir scramble. Older kids saluted the cadets, hoping to be the first to do so and to be rewarded with a silver dollar. It was a great feel-good time all around.

The cadets were in their cadet graduation uniforms, of course, so they had their own scramble back to their rooms to change into regular Army commissioned-officer greens for their "barring ceremonies" scattered around the campus. My nephew and his Combat Weapons Team buddies chose to have their officer supervisor administer their oaths on the firearms range. They followed up by rapid-firing their last USMA pistol loads into their targets and we broke for a Subway lunch.

Cheney had one final chance to redeem himself in my eyes. He could've celebrated the cadets and their day by talking about them and their accomplishments with more bright prospects, but instead he chose to give a political "big picture" speech that attempted to rouse the rabble by warning us of the scary terrorists about to slaughter us in our beds. What a downer, and it should've just been read directly into the congressional record. Thanks, Dick, great way to start an infantry career, you have a nice life too. The Army Chief of Staff gave a much better (and more entertaining) speech at the Family Banquet the night before, so hopefully no one holds his performance against him.

We had a good celebration dinner with my nephew's girlfriend and her family (he's upgraded from dating midshipmen to dating fellow 2LTs). After he & she take care of a few weeks' leave he's spending about two years in training-- basic officer leadership, infantry officer's school, miscellaneous skills schools, Ranger School, and finally Special Forces training. His only reservation is that at age 25 he feels like he's getting a bit old for all this physical abuse…

We're spending the rest of Sunday rounding everyone up, moving out of the Greater Metropolitan Fishkill hotel, returning the cars, getting to the train station, and mounting our Manhattan invasion. What could possibly go wrong?

Back
Top Bottom