Join Early Retirement Today

Milestone Monday
Old 11-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Milestone Monday

Well, I have been itching to post for a few months now, but Mr. Market took us under for a short time. Anyways, we are now officially over the $500,000 hurdle. Half a million. Yaaay!

We are 31 and 34. Still lost about what to do in life (see previous posts) and now have a beautiful bouncing boy that has been added to the mix, so things continue to change.

Not sure if we will hit the 1 million mark before 40. That was our goal, but I think our priorities are changing.

The $500,000 is not subject to any future taxes so I think that helps. Hoping we are on track.

Keep your eye on the prize everyone.
BigBangWeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, congratulations!!! For the bouncing boy first and the money second...

Just curious, you have $500K in cash and no cap gains Does not sound right...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Texas Proud. We are in a tax-free country and are invested as non-residents in tax free accounts. The rest is in the form of after-service indemnities (again not subject to tax) and a small amount in cash.
BigBangWeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBangWeary View Post
Thanks Texas Proud. We are in a tax-free country and are invested as non-residents in tax free accounts. The rest is in the form of after-service indemnities (again not subject to tax) and a small amount in cash.

OK, makes sense.... I am one who does not look at people's profile so I do not know where you are located...

Is the cost of living low If so, then you are probably well on your way to FIRE...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Still lost about what to do in life (see previous posts) and now have a beautiful bouncing boy that has been added to the mix, so things continue to change.
Congratulations on the boy. You may still be lost about life, but it won't matter so much now, and besides, you also won't have much time to yourself to think about it.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well, I have been itching to post for a few months now, but Mr. Market took us under for a short time. Anyways, we are now officially over the $500,000 hurdle. Half a million. Yaaay!

We are 31 and 34. Still lost about what to do in life (see previous posts) and now have a beautiful bouncing boy that has been added to the mix, so things continue to change.

Not sure if we will hit the 1 million mark before 40. That was our goal, but I think our priorities are changing.
Congratulations on the milestones!

The rule of 72... Divide 72 by your time frame for doubling your assets and you'll find your required annual return

8%-->9 years 8*9=72
7.2% -->10 years 7.2*10=72
6 years --> 12% 12*6=72

Not impossible to hit your number by 40 if you can contribute the difference between actual annual return and 12% (or 8% if you count your partners age...)
NgineER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations! Also, you can start thinking about yourself again in about 20 years. The kids are totally worth it....most days! Enjoy.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Keep up the good work!
iam21177 is offline   Reply With Quote