Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwow View Post
Nords!
I did want to answer your question though, Nords. I believe the forum we previously conversed was called Raddrs (?) or something along those lines. I think the moderator (owner?) was a TCU fan, I recall his avatar. Hope this helped and it's good reading you again.
Ah, Raddr's board. Raddr's Early Retirement and Financial Strategy Board • Index page I think he's a football fan.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotoole View Post
Slightly different angle: without prying, what's causing the stress and can you resolve that? Sounds like you may be wrestling a financial decision as a proxy to resolve a different issue. Can you resolve the other issue to buy time for the housing market, etc?

A few years back I was at my wits end with work -- really, really not good. One problem: they sure did pay me a lot. After some introspection, I decided that a lot of the problem was that I cared too much both about the outcome and what people at work thought of my performance. I realized that if I changed my own approaches (let go of some of the control, be willing to be fired so long as I thought I was doing the right thing, bolster my cash position to make being fired a less traumatic event, put hard walls around how many hours I worked) then I could lower the stress and keep the income.

It worked. Less stress, same money.

Tweaking my financial approach was part of the plan, but I focused most of my energy on the underlying problem.

Just a thought. No clue if it's on point or not...

Good luck!
Aloha Krotoole.

I am happy to hear that you got over that hurdle. Getting over set-backs, or even plateaus, are victories that should be celebrated (and learned from).

Your question is not intrusive and your assumption is basically accurate. I don't feel like we are running away from anything...more like walking away, LOL. Hawaii is not an easy place to do business. Those set-backs and plateaus mentioned above are more the norm than the exception. Because of a situation beyond my control, I find us in a position where we may have to start all over again. Unsure whether we want to go through it all again or not.

Thanks for your thoughtful post and again, I am glad things are going well for you.
chuckwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ah, Raddr's board. Raddr's Early Retirement and Financial Strategy Board • Index page I think he's a football fan.
That's the one, Nords. His avatar was a TCU football helmet. You still over there? You helped me through a tough spot, Nords. I've thought about you many times since that time and forever will be grateful for the personal interest you took in my plight.

EDIT: Sorry, had to erase the majority of this long-winded post, as well as some details in my last. As poor as my typing is, my fingers are sometimes faster than my brain. Again I apologise but discretion is paramount.

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to write a book. Sometimes it helps to let this out anonymously. Thanks for bearing with me. And Nords, I thank you again. You are a good man that I will not soon forget.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwow

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to write a book. .
You should. Seems like it would be interesting.

I'd read it.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
You should. Seems like it would be interesting.

I'd read it.
LOL, thanks. There has been talk of this...but I'm takin' the high-road.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
This thread is 3 months old, just got bumped...

I agreed with the comment above.

You have what appears to be about 2/3 of your net worth tied up into your house?

If you are renting the house out, I might suggest a cash out refi where you move 500k or so into an investment which yields more than $18k per year ($1500/mo=$18k per year).

I would expect a higher return than 2% on renting house out. The best risk adjusted returns are higher than the 2% you receive on your mortgage... dividend paying stocks would be exhibit A, a conservative equity portfolio like Wellesley is exhibit B.
Thanks JimOh,

Like the post of NORDs' (just before your's), we are considering your words carefully. Nords also suggested getting away from the idea of renting the house out, especially from a million miles away, and we may decide we have to sell, but had hoped to keep it in our family.

Thanks very much for your thoughtful suggestion. Times change and we are prepared to change with them. Happy new year.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwow View Post
That's the one, Nords. His avatar was a TCU football helmet. You still over there? You helped me through a tough spot, Nords. I've thought about you many times since that time and forever will be grateful for the personal interest you took in my plight.
And Nords, I thank you again. You are a good man that I will not soon forget.
Glad I could help!

I still check in once a week. Raddr updated their software a few months ago and I'm having a hard time searching the archives. What's your poster name over there? You can send me a PM if you don't want to put the info on a post here...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote