Join Early Retirement Today

My first real milestone
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

My first real milestone

I am a long time reader of this forum and find it very helpful with a lot of my questions. My wife and I just hit a milestone of saving over 100k in one year. We were very proud of reaching this but then felt a bit lackluster as there is a long way to go. Anyways I just want to say thank you to the many contributors that help with insight and advice.

Cheers

lostinneverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hey congrats! 100k is a HUGE milestone! You have reached the next level of financial independence. You aren't trapped in your job if it becomes too much, you can take a risk to further your career, you don't have a stomach ache when the car breaks down wondering how you'll pay for the repair....I'm 42 and I have classmates on Facebook still posting about hoping the car makes it a few more months without a repair. It's good to look away from the ultimate goal now and then and celebrate and have gratitude for the amount of freedom you have already achieved!

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinneverland View Post
I am a long time reader of this forum and find it very helpful with a lot of my questions. My wife and I just hit a milestone of saving over 100k in one year. We were very proud of reaching this but then felt a bit lackluster as there is a long way to go. Anyways I just want to say thank you to the many contributors that help with insight and advice.

Cheers
You saved almost double the average household income in one year, that's quite impressive imo. With a savings rate like that, the "long way" to go will be a lot shorter than many people would have. Good job
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

100k in 1 year, awesome,
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Welcome lostinneverland, and +1 to what everyone has said so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
I'm 42 and I have classmates on Facebook still posting about hoping the car makes it a few more months without a repair.
Me too. Most of my friends have little in savings, though the majority of them are smart and adaptable enough to always manage. I do have one or two friends though who, as well as living from paycheck to paycheck, don't have the financial and planning skills to adapt quickly to whatever might come their way. One in particular has a rather limited social network in addition. I really worry about these people.

Anyway, to get back on track with the happy mood of this thread, congratulations lostinneverland - and here's to the next 100K, and the next one, and the next one........!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #6

Wow, I've only been able to pull that feat off once, I don't expect to ever make it again either. Certainly something to celebrate.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! It won't take long to make a nest egg at that rate!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree with everyone -- 100K is a great achievement and an excellent start. Two suggestions: you and your spouse might celebrate with a truly nice dinner out every time you hit a milestone (such as every 100K). Also, sit down and calculate what 100K will be worth (in nominal terms) at the time of your expected FIRE event, assuming simple linear growth. For example, at 5% compounded annually, in 15 years it would be worth about 208K. Twice as much as you've saved.

-BB
Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 AM   #9

Congrats!

It would be interesting to see a survey based on how many Americans have EVER saved that much in one year. Quite sure you would be in a very small minority!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #10

Wow-congratulations!
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #11

It makes me think of Woody Allen's famous answer to the question, "What is the secret to a long life?"

His answer: "Not dying."

-BB
Old 04-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does "saved" include market gains and investment earnings on your portfolio? I didn't have my first +$100k year until I turned 40, and that included a strong market year (2003) and my company stock zooming upward. It's a remarkable achievement, I hope you can have more of them.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

Nope saved is purely saved from w2s

lostinneverland is offline   Reply With Quote