Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My generation: missing the boom years?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
So giving away crappy low margin jobs to telephone sweat shops raises the economic levels in those countries, resulting in their wanting the bling bling.* Cha ching.
That's fine, but companies that "offshore" jobs should offer serious retraining opportunities for workers whose jobs are going overseas. OTOH, many workers (if they were perceptive enough) should know which way the wind is blowing in regards to their jobs, and take advantage of things like tuition reimbursement, on-the-job training, internal training classes, etc... to ensure that they're able to transition into another job/career. As the Marines are so oft to say...improvise, adapt and overcome.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

i believe we have another nice run coming in stock market...
i am no expert, but i think people will start taking money out of real estate and put in the market.
its all about cycles!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:12 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Man, what are you guys talking about with this offshore nonsense? Bush says he is going to fix the problem and make science and math a priority again. Problem solved.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a Republican, but never use the words "Bush", "fixed" and "problem solved" in the same sentence/paragraph!
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

The entire cycle you are pining for took place over maybe 20 years. If you retire at 50, you will have been saving for longer than that and you will gain (and lose) from similar cycles of your own.

Your worst enemy is failure to just dive in and do it. Now. Your very presence on this board suggests that you know this. Hope I am here at 80 to watch you showing the youngsters how to get rich like you did.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote