Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My "unconventional" route to FIRE
Old 01-31-2006, 09:20 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello Helen,
Strewth! A celebrity!* :

Yes, I took early retirement from the Brigade. Did 27 yrs and figured that was enough. Saw too many others who went the full distance in the job and then fell over within a couple of years of retiring.
I decided to get out while I was still fit enough to do the things I like doing. (Have only just recently returned from hiking the length of Great Britain - a worthwhile journey but still couldn't compare to my PCT experiences!)

I think you're maybe right about retirement preparation and hiking the PCT - both are made easier if you have a slight masochistic tendency!*
Only joking!
(I think)

I reckon long distance hiking has maybe more to do with mental attitude than physical capability - you can build up your fitness as you go, but you need a bit of determination to get past any, 'pain barriers' or bad days!
I'm sure that if you have only a basic level of fitness but really want to accomplish a thru-hike, then you can do it without a doubt. I'm pretty sure that maybe* Freebird would agree to that too.

Anyhow, glad to hear that you enjoyed my tale of the PCT,
Thanks for your interest,
Geo.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen

Somehow I see a correlation between hiking the PCT and saving for early retirement.* Maybe both require an obsession and a propensity for some pain to reach a goal ?

Warm regards,

-helen
Posted by: Geo.
Quote:
I reckon long distance hiking has maybe more to do with mental attitude than physical capability - you can build up your fitness as you go, but you need a bit of determination to get past any, 'pain barriers' or bad days!
I'm sure that if you have only a basic level of fitness but really want to accomplish a thru-hike, then you can do it without a doubt. I'm pretty sure that maybe* Freebird would agree to that too.
I do believe that there is a correlation between long-distance hiking and FIRE, and it's something that I have found myself pondering upon quite a bit. In my own situation I'd have to say that accomplishing something like a multi-month thru-hike of the PCT is not only an intense physical challenge but the mental stamina necessary for accomplishing such a goal is what makes your chance of success possible. So yes, I would most definitely agree that if you can learn how to deal with the intense mental challenge then the physical requirements for accomplishing such a goal will follow.

From my experiences (and especially on the Appalachian Trail) I have found that most of the hiker's who drop out (and almost all of the thru-hiker wanna-be's do) have simply lost their will to continue and when that occur's nothing in the world will make those bodies take another step. I don't necessarily consider all of them failures because at least they did take that first step, then went as far as they could and learned something new about themselves and I don't consider that failure.

I'd imagaine that many folks also don't pocess the intense mental will to work toward a goal like FIRE and if they really do enjoy their work then perhaps that isn't failure either. I suppose that life is a never ending process of self discovery and we all have to find our own unique paths, but whether it's my career, hiking a long trail, or FIRE I've found that complacency is the best internal signal that I need to stir things up and to re-evaluate my goals.

Educating yourself about the best ways to invest your dollars takes a lot of time spent in research, then the discipline to "stay the course", while always keeping your "eye on the prize" then learning how to "smell the roses" while on your trail to freedom. Yeah, long distance hiking is a lot like that indeed!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

George, I just bought your book from your publisher and I showed a co-worker the book and he is going to buy it.

You have some groupies on this forum, I hope you stick around and post. I think you would fit in well - you can definately stand up to the wit and perhaps teach us a thing or two.

Warm regards,

-helen

PS - I plan to visit New Zealand once I retire and my hobby will be to stalk you.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks Helen!
Don't know about being able to teach folk a thing or two - you seem to have some pretty 'clued-up' posters on these forums who are dealing to that!
I know that working towards early retirement was one of the better things I've done - requirements differ, but I guess I'm lucky in that my lifestyle doesn't syphon a lot of cash, so I could make the decision to retire with maybe less money than some would have wanted or think they want.
I know one thing though - you really need an interest/goal of some sort after you retire, so in fact you're not really 'retiring' just shifting priority to what occupies your day!

(From your comment Helen, looks like there could be an opening somewhere for starting up a Stalker/Stalkee retirement business - 'Stalkees R us'* We use GPS tracked zimmer frames)***

There'll be many variables between the US and NZ, but I know that one of the major factors enabling me to contemplate early retirement, was the fact that I worked towards owning my own paid off house. (even if it is a small one!)
I know it still requires finding insurance/council rates, but they amount to nowhere near what a typical rent would be, and if any maintenance is needed, I can do most things myself anyhow.
Cheers,
George.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Caroline,

A couple of other ultralight backpacking sites you might find interesting are Sgt Rocks's Hiking H.Q. and Backpacking Lightweight. Both have pretty active forums where you can pick up some good hints.

yko
Yipee-Ki-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's an interesting site I just discovered. http://couchsurfing.com/

Remember, opportunities are everywhere.

Billy
Old 02-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Servas is a slightly more established organization that like couchsurfing.com connects travellers with hosts that meet without exchanging money for the accomodations. I've been meaning to join up.

http://www.servas.org/
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote