Join Early Retirement Today

Need J*b Advice
Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need J*b Advice

I left mega corp about a month ago and joined a small, family oriented company. Pay is great, pension is excellent, as well as other benefits. Virtually everyone in the office has been with the company for a long, long time. However, the job itself is tedious and sloggy. I kinda knew that going in but I have the opportunity to pick up another skill set on another system. Also, I couldn't wait to pull the trigger on meg corp. I have absolutely no regrets for my decision.

I've recently been inundated with calls from recruiters (where were these recruiters two months ago ). I did a phone interview tonight with a VP for a software firm which incidentely happens to be a vendor of mega corp. Mega corp is doing a huge re-implementation of XX software and I would be on the team helping from the vendor side (oh, the bridges I have burned ). I meet with VP next week, along with other folks from the team. The job is up my alley, more $$$ and more dynamic work than just...slogging along.

My purpose for this post is, I feel a great deal of guilt for the nice, little company I currently work for. I'd hate to leave since they have invested some time, energy and cost to hire me. However, I think if I were to depart, this is the best time since I've only been there a short time.

Anyone else here jump around? This is not my style, BTW
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Need J*b Advice
Old 11-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cube,

Any vesting issues to think about with the current employer? I hung on to a prior employer for 7 months while holding off another offer because it let me vest in a small pension plan. Now I realize how much more I'd have to save to spin off even that small income stream from investments.

Does moving "too" frequently become a problem in your industry (ya know, mark you as a job hopper, etc.)?

Are you in a "grass is greener" frame of mind?

Just some questions I'd probably ask myself in your shoes.

Good luck with the decision. Sounds like it's all good either way.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Anyone else here jump around? This is not my style, BTW
No, I do not jump around. There were a few times that my employment with a company were less than a year. Both companies, small in size, terminated my employment, citing that that I was not the "right" fit. Personally, I do not feel any loyalty toward any company since they will fire or lay you off at any time for whatever reason.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There is no reason not to see what else is out there, assuming you can keep those contacts very confidential.

You may not find anyting you are interested in. If you do find an interesting opportunity you are in the perfect position to negotiate. You may find it wise to engage an employment attorney to prepare an employment contract that makes it very profitable to cross the street. If the other side won't sign on, their loss.

You may drink a lot of coffee, and eat a lot of pastries, at out of the way espresso shops before you make a decision.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Personally, I do not feel any loyalty toward any company since they will fire or lay you off at any time for whatever reason.
Agreed. I've been laid off twice at software companies -- the first time was six months AFTER a rave review for off-the-chart performance. Nothing personal, you understand. Second time was right after the bubble burst -- the entire marketing team went kaput in one day.

Companies' first interest is to stay in business -- they'll jettison anyone they need to to stay afloat or just to keep the margin up. Your first interest is to better your income and opportunity, and if that means jumping ship, then go for it. You ARE replaceable.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Personally, I do not feel any loyalty toward any company since they will fire or lay you off at any time for whatever reason.
Which is the natural condition. For example; I've been fired a couple of times. Never held a grudge or even any angst. That's capitalism.

JG
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Nothing wrong with seeing what else is out there. If it suited your employer's purposes, they would chuck you over tthe side in a heartbeat. Jump on it if you see something good.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

I am going through a similar experience. I gave a two week notice to my employer (small company) and my boss gave me the guilt trip that I should have told her sooner, she's not like big companies, blah, blah, blah. She guilted me into going back to my new employer and push out my start date. Then last night she calls me last night and does not even want to pay me for the two weeks notice I gave her (since now I won't be doing anything for the next two weeks) I didn't accept that so she'll honor the two weeks. That leaves me a week that I'm "un-employed". Not a big deal, but it makes me very angry that she guilt tripped me how she isn't like big companies and then tried to screw me just the same. Bottom line, do what is right for you.... One caveat about your situation, think carefully about being a vendor for mega-corp. If you didn't like being an employee, you might not like being a vendor. These people will now be your clients, and the client is always right....
cmy1176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in a similar situation. I left MegaCorp less than 4 months ago and am already thinking of another change. I, too, am getting many headhunter calls recently. Myself, I hate jumping around like this. More than anything, I'd love to settle into something. I'm almost regretting leaving MegaCorp just because the environment here leaves a lot to be desired. I never thought I'd be saying that.

In some ways, it is better to leave sooner if you are already considering it. For example, we have a vesting 401k plan over 4 years here. Well, I will be leaving less of the employer match on the table if I leave now versus 4 months later.

I think most managers accept that an individual has to do what is right for them. I did once have a manager who was so angry that I gave my notice that he told me that Friday would be the last day in his department and my new manager had to rush to be ready for me.

One thing I WOULD caution, though, is think it all the way through. I've learned I took some things for granted at my old job. As a silly example - I have no phone at work any more. So, I had to go out and buy a cell phone just to be able to make calls during the day. My commute went from 1 mile to 13 ( still not a lot ), but that results in more than 6 hours of lost free time each week! My health insurance turned out to be much worse than what I had. Our COO called us developers "Motherf-ers" and "Children" one day for some spilled coffee grounds. I had come from a very PC company, so this really shocked me and turned me off, and is indicative of the culture here.

Best of luck!

dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #10

I will reply from the other side of the fence, as an employer with a small family friendly company. Turnover is more painful for us, as we invest a lot in training people, and any one person quitting is 7% of our workforce.

We are currently in somewhat of a panic mode searching for an acceptable replacement to our bookkeeper who gave notice 11/5. She is staying until 12/15. This is a lot of notice, and she has good reasons for leaving, so no one is blaming her. But it's still a big PITA, having to fit resume reviews and interviews into an already tight schedule. The applicants are pathetic, and not one in ten is even close to a good fit.

But back to you. I think as long as you give enough notice for your position to be filled, and are willing within reason to train a replacement, no one should begrudge you the decision to do what you think is best for you.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

As you have been there only a month, it isn't quite as difficult as if you left after several years. Given that people in your industry seem so mobile, without much of a career consequence, I would go for the best fit. And as Sheryl says, try to give as long a notice period as possible and go out of your way to train someone new. One problem I often would see as a relatively small employer are people who give notice and basically "check out."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #12

If you're jumping less than 2 years after starting I would forget the experiance on the resume. We routinely "round-filed" any resume showing jumps in less than 2 year increments. Too painful to train then replace ... why take the chance.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

There's NEVER a bad time to move to a job you BELIEVE would be invigorating to you. I would venture to guess better than 70% of all working Americans are "hanging on" to their jobs to suck a paycheck, or benefits, or both..........

How many folks do you routinely hear say: "I love my job........I can't wait to get out of bed and go there"?? Not many.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

That's just sick... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #15

Changing jobs may well be the fastest way to increase your salary, which will then allow you to FIRE earlier.

Here's a book on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385495935

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I would be careful of this new opportunity. Your value to them maybe very short term. You worked for mega corp, you know mega corp and people within mega corp. Once Mega corp project is complete, what is next for you.

Having owned a small company, I know we tried hard to treat employees as we wished we had been treated when we worked for mega corp. A number of small companies are lead by people who want to change mega corp treatment of employees.

The current job may not be what you want. But give them time, they are figuring you out as well. Well run small companies figure out quickly if they have a valuable resource they are not leveraging correctly. In the meantime, they maybe trying to determine what kind of team player you are.

Best of luck
HelpMeRhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If you receive an attractive offer shortly after accepting a position it is better to leave sooner than later (when the employer you are leaving can still use the applicant pool you were selected from).

Rhonda has made a couple good points. Look at your current employer as if you are an investor or lender. How are they positioned in their market, how important are you to their future, and are they ethical in all aspects of their relationships. Some jobs are just for now, some are for the long haul.

Sheryl, try calling construction contractors for bookkeeper leads. Some may be downsizing (or thinking about it) and will want to transition folks who will be impacted. I know everyone says 'were different', but few have been in the business long enough to remember the 80s.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:57 PM   #18

Good idea Brat, thanks. I've generally been asking everyone I see - even strangers on the street.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:12 PM   #19

I look at jobs from a mercenary viewpoint. I work for whomever offers the highest 'total compensation' package for the least amount of effort. Get the $$$$
Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Good idea Brat, thanks. I've generally been asking everyone I see - even strangers on the street.
What about temp agencies? Sometimes you can get some awesome employees thriugh them.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote