Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

neighbors getting sold bonds...he's 35
Old 05-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Soo my neighbor has been coming to me for advice after realizing I know something about investing.

Says he talked to his bank and they offered to take his cash and put it all into bonds since he is conservative and does not want to take risk.

Thankfully he has a pension when he reaches 58. I tried explaining that with at least 20years to go before retirement there is room for risk. I guess the banks know better than I.

I've been trying to preach Vanguard roth contributions...small...baby..steps.

It just seems to me that the first thing you would want to sell someone who needs growth for retirement would not be bonds...unless you're an insurance company...surely than it would be an annuity
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Banks are often very limited on what they can provide.

i.e. Does not matter if steak, salad, or chicken is the best choice for you, if you go to KFC they're gonna try and sell you chicken.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
Banks are often very limited on what they can provide.

i.e. Does not matter if steak, salad, or chicken is the best choice for you, if you go to KFC they're gonna try and sell you chicken.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Given that interest rates are low and likely to increase, it is not a great time to go all in on bonds.

Since he is looking for advice... it is that a 35 year-old who wants to retire at 58 should invest in a Retirement 2040 fund rather than in bonds. If he wants to intentionally be conservative then perhaps a 2030 fund.

FWIW, the Vanguard 2040 fund is ~85/15 and the 2030 fund is ~70/30.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:08 PM   #5

He needs to tune in to CNBC more often. I think Warren Buffet was on both today and said bonds is the worse investment compare to stocks when interest rate is cheap.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #6

I have a few people like that in my life, too: Good, responsible professionals who ask me personal finance questions occasionally but just can't be bothered to read a basic book about investing, even if one buys them the book and puts it in their hands, as I have for two of them. I've stopped worrying about leading horses to water, even the ones who ask me for a drink, and just concentrate on my own circle of control. As the OP says, it's good his neighbor will have a pension.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I have a few people like that in my life, too: Good, responsible professionals who ask me personal finance questions occasionally but just can't be bothered to read a basic book about investing, even if one buys them the book and puts it in their hands, as I have for two of them. I've stopped worrying about leading horses to water, even the ones who ask me for a drink, and just concentrate on my own circle of control. As the OP says, it's good his neighbor will have a pension.
+1. Additionally if you talk him into investing in stocks, he will blame you for his (hopefully, paper) losses during the next crash. No good deed goes unpunished.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
+1. Additionally if you talk him into investing in stocks, he will blame you for his (hopefully, paper) losses during the next crash. No good deed goes unpunished.
+2. Neighbour should make his own decisions, without the OP preaching Vanguard or anything else.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

it's probably based on the questionnaire he filled out ... he probably filled out a risk questionnaire ... and the advisor at the bank put him in the appropriate allocation for that risk.. WIth the fiduciary rule in effect.. advisors can't take a chance cause they stand the risk of getting sued if they pitch something more aggressive when the questionnaire clearly points out that he 's very conservative.
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
that's the problem with pitching stocks to people who don't like to take risk .. even if they understand the concept.. wen their balance drops 40% .. they get uncomfortable since that they know they're exposed to even more losses ... it's not what the market does , it's how people react to market losses.. .we can't force someone to be someting that they're not
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzajzz View Post
it's probably based on the questionnaire he filled out ... he probably filled out a risk questionnaire ... and the advisor at the bank put him in the appropriate allocation for that risk.. WIth the fiduciary rule in effect.. advisors can't take a chance cause they stand the risk of getting sued if they pitch something more aggressive when the questionnaire clearly points out that he 's very conservative.
This is what I was thinking. If the person said he doesn't want to take on any risk, what's the bank supposed to do? I wonder if it's bonds, as in single bonds, or a bond fund. A bond fund seems more risky than CD's without a lot more expected income.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
This is what I was thinking. If the person said he doesn't want to take on any risk, what's the bank supposed to do? I wonder if it's bonds, as in single bonds, or a bond fund. A bond fund seems more risky than CD's without a lot more expected income.
If the person is just starting out, it's almost certainly a bond fund. From what little I know, individual bonds start out at fairly high face values ($10K is a typical "low" face value), and most people recommend buying multiple bonds if one is investing in individual bonds as opposed to bond funds. So a typical starting bond portfolio might be $100K = $10K x 10 bonds. That way you can minimize individual bond risk - if the issuer goes bankrupt, or whatever, you still have $90K left.

I would be nervous to own individual bonds if I only owned a few. Personally I invest in Vanguard's Total Bond Index fund.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
If the person said he doesn't want to take on any risk, what's the bank supposed to do?
I think the problem is that there are several different kinds of risk. You can't sidestep them all with a limited set of choices.