Join Early Retirement Today

no email replies from Vanguard....
Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

no email replies from Vanguard....

I've emailed Vanguard twice in 2 weeks and haven't heard anything. Our phone usage has been restricted so I can't call them to ask either .

GF wants to put her money away into something conservative. She is already matching her employer's contribution of 3% with her Transamerica 401k.

I read up on VWINX, and that looks like a good start for her. She doesn't have $3,000 up front for the initial investment, but she does have $200/month. Does anyone know if Vanguard accepts payments? She prefers $100 every two weeks if that is at all possible into a pre-tax account.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, and her 401k already looks pretty conservative. I don't want to steer her wrong, but I haven't educated myself enough yet to tell her to invest in something else.

JPMorgan Government Securities Ret Acct Bond 10 %

Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Ret Acct Hybrid 35 %

Transamerica Partners Mid Value Ret Acct Large/Mid Value Equity 10 %

American Funds AMCAP Inv Acct Large/Mid Growth Equity 12 %

Thornburg Core Growth Ret Acct Large/Mid Growth Equity 5 %

Alger SmallCap Growth Ret Acct Small Company Equity 8 %

Oppenheimer Global Ret Acct Global Equity 5 %

AIM International Growth Ret Acct International Equity 5 %

SSgA International Stock Index Ret Acct International Equity 5 %

Thornburg International Value Ret Acct International Equity 5 %
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope, vanguard doesnt take payments towards the minimum. You can buy their Star fund for IIRC $1000 to start and small increments. Its not a bad fund. A fund of actively managed funds with good historic returns at a fair price for what it is.

I dont think I'd characterize VWINX as conservative.

In the 401k, I'd put it all into the vanguard TR 2045 fund. I'm sure the majority of the rest of the funds charge a high expense fee, and I doubt you're extracting much value from those higher fees. That does of course presume that 2045 is approximately when she'll be retiring.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Nope, vanguard doesnt take payments towards the minimum. You can buy their Star fund for IIRC $1000 to start and small increments. Its not a bad fund. A fund of actively managed funds with good historic returns at a fair price for what it is.

In the 401k, I'd put it all into the vanguard TR 2045 fund. I'm sure the majority of the rest of the funds charge a high expense fee, and I doubt you're extracting much value from those higher fees. That does of course presume that 2045 is approximately when she'll be retiring.
It should actually be 2055 or 2060, but I haven't seen that yet. Also if she goes ahead and puts 100% of her 401k into the Vanguard 2045 will it be ok to just stick to her 7% contribution even though her company only matches 3%?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Umm...so your girlfriend is somewhere between 8 an 13 years old?

Well in that case the 2045 would be "a little conservative" since it'll slide faster to bonds than a later TR fund.

I'd contribute as much as I could to get the maximum match, as long as she can afford that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Umm...so your girlfriend is somewhere between 8 an 13 years old?

Well in that case the 2045 would be "a little conservative" since it'll slide faster to bonds than a later TR fund.

I'd contribute as much as I could to get the maximum match, as long as she can afford that.
How did her age work out to be 13 years old? She's 20, and I added 40 years for her retirement age and....

Awww crap. I knew I should have opened up the calculator
Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For a 20-year-old, I think it is extremely conservative.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

For a minute there I thought that perhaps investing wasnt your biggest concern

I didnt have an age at the time I wrote that, but in any case, would you recommend a 100% equity fund to your young girlfriend given it might give up another 15-30% of its value in the next few months?

By the way Zig, if you have a young girlfriend, once again we have to look at concerns and their varying levels of criticality...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Best thing Keyboard Ninja could do would be to teach the girlfriend to fish for herself imho .
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Best thing Keyboard Ninja could do would be to teach the girlfriend to fish for herself imho .
It gives me an excuse to use the internet
Old 10-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I need some sleep... I missed the 'for' and read the 'h' as a 't' and then wondered, aside from prep for the current market climate, if that'd really help long-term or not.

Thankfully, Amazon does have some lovely books on the subject.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
I need some sleep... I missed the 'for' and read the 'h' as a 't' and then wondered, aside from prep for the current market climate, if that'd really help long-term or not.

Thankfully, Amazon does have some lovely books on the subject.
On fishing for herself ? That reminds me that tonight would be a good time to capitulate with DH
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote