OK, I'm moving

Maxburn

Dryer sheet wannabe
Alright, so due to this thread it appears I'm being taken for a bit of a ride and most of you are saying to go with Vanguard. I did some searching into the general consensus on USAA as I have that available to me but seems I can still do better at Vanguard.

Question is what does this process look like / how is it accomplished?

For my general cash/investments account I figure those just get liquidated and moved to new investments at Vanguard?

For the Roth and normal IRA's I'm less clear on how those get moved to the new institution and the funds changed over.

Yea, just call Vanguard. Be careful with non tax deferred (after tax money), lest you generate capital gains unwittingly.

Call Vanguard and they will advise you on how to move your account(s).

+1. You may not need to sell much, if anything. Anyway, you want to avoid any capital gains events in a taxable account.

OK called and transfer in progress.

So I'm already learning some things, these funds had to be liquidated but according to Vanguard they are really high in fees anyway:
CDAAX (3.01%), CDEIX (1.15%), CSCEX(1.52%).

These can be transferred but are pretty high in fees so I will likely be doing something with them soon: PURAX(1.24%), WFPAX(1.22%).

Not fun learning this stuff about my financial advisor. I'm likely going to touch base with an advisor in Vanguard to set things off right but try and manage things myself from there on.

OK called and transfer in progress.

So I'm already learning some things, these funds had to be liquidated but according to Vanguard they are really high in fees anyway:
CDAAX (3.01%), CDEIX (1.15%), CSCEX(1.52%).

These can be transferred but are pretty high in fees so I will likely be doing something with them soon: PURAX(1.24%), WFPAX(1.22%).

Not fun learning this stuff about my financial advisor. I'm likely going to touch base with an advisor in Vanguard to set things off right but try and manage things myself from there on.
Congratulations! Sounds like everything is moving right along as desired. I really like Vanguard and hope you do too.

......... I'm likely going to touch base with an advisor in Vanguard to set things off right but try and manage things myself from there on.
Once you have it set up, it can almost be on auto pilot, especially if you condense it down to a simple lazy portfolio. Just readjust the asset allocation yearly with a simple spreadsheet or hand calculate it. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

Or you can go with a Target Date Fund or Wellington or Wellesley and let them re-balance it automatically.

Once you have it set up, it can almost be on auto pilot, especially if you condense it down to a simple lazy portfolio. Just readjust the asset allocation yearly with a simple spreadsheet or hand calculate it. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Lazy_portfolios

Or you can go with a Target Date Fund or Wellington or Wellesley and let them re-balance it automatically.
Thanks, I'm going to be doing some reading this weekend. Maybe by the time the transfer process is over I'll feel better at doing this on my own and skip the advisor.

Back
Top Bottom