Online Portfolio Trackers, which do you use?

I use Excel with my Yahoo "portfolio" downloaded every two minutes to track all the prices. They have changed about once a year or so, but so far I've been able to hancle the reformats. I also have to enter my Yahoo password every few weeks. Could be more convenient, but worth it so far.

To download a web page into Excel 2007 (first one with the stupid "ribbon bar" I think):
Select the Excel cell that will be the top left corner of the download.
Use the "Data" ribbon to select "from Web". This pops up a dialog box that acts as a web browser. Navigate to the web page you want to download.
Each web page displayed in the dialog box will have little yellow boxes that you can click (one or many) to indicate content you want to download. Typically a portfolio will be a single table that you can download as a single item.
Click the "Import" button at the bottom of the dialog box.
A new box pops up, allowing you to specify a different location, or click on "Properties" to change to update rate or download formatting. Click "OK" when done.
Your downloaded info should now show in your spreadsheet.
You can select the same Excel cell used for the download, use the "Connections" section on the "Data" ribbon to update your data or change it.

I forgot to add, I also copy my portfolio into my spreadsheet from Quicken. Open a "Portfolio Value" report in Quicken. I subtotal by account for a little additional information. Click on the "Export" button at the top of the report. Select "Copy report to Clipboard" and paste it into your spreadsheet. That adds all your portfolio info to the spreadsheet in one easy step. With the automatic price updates, you only need to update your portfolio info when you make a change to it.

I used the web import feature of Excel for a while.

I switched over to this method. Login to Vanguard (most outside investments are linked and included). Copy entire overview page. Paste special (text) to excel. Run macro to parse data and transfer to my asset allocation sheet.

I just keep monthly totals.

Anyone know where to find 'quotes' for TSP funds so they can be included in this?

I like the SMF (Stock Market Function) add-in for Excel available at

smf_addin : EXCEL Stock Market Functions Add-in

It might not be the easiest thing to install and implement, but if you have an aptitude for using the more complex Excel functions it can add quite a bit of functionality to your spreadsheets. Automatic price updates in addition to downloading a lot of other data on your investments.

Is it compatible with open office?

I just went Apple. Any spreadsheets for stock and fund portfolio monitoring?

Back
Top Bottom