Panama, Honduras, Vietnam, Argentina, Thailand? Where to retire?

Vietnamese people were always very friendly to us, and were quite curious about life in America. Worse you're going to get as a Westerner is the standard taxi/airport scams, and maybe some petty theft.

It's truly a lovely country with great food, lovely countryside, and nice people.

Helen, don't two women traveling together just seem like, well, two women traveling together? Discretion might advise avoiding public displays of affection and perhaps having 2 beds in hotel rooms and maybe even making sure they both look slept in. Plenty of female friends travel together.

Sam said:
1)  Hard feelings about the war:  This is a complicated question.  But the overall answer is no.  I believe that most people in VN understand the difference between Americans and the US foreign policy.  I have never seen or even heard of an American citizen being discriminated because of the interference of the US in the Vietnam war.  But a bad behaving, loud, and showy person (American or not) will not receive any respect.

2)  Political discussion:  My apology for not being clear.  What I meant is to avoid discussing Vietnamese politics.  That is don't make any comment on how the CURRENT GOVERMENT is running the country.  They don't take criticism (however construtive) well.  No surprise, right?

Sam, when people in Vietnam learn that an American had been anti-war, how do they react? Is there a difference between (former) North and South Vietnamese? I don't expect you to speak for all, of course--just your opinion and observations.

=alstro, familiar with the geography, overall history, and the cuisine (mmm) of Vietnam, but I didn't know the name of the President...or is it Prime Minister...or Premier...or Comrade in Chief? I think I better learn a few things before traveling there!

astromeria,

Before 1975 all Vietnamese are daily brainwashed (in different degree) by the war machine.  Understandably,  the propaganda severity is much less in the South than the North.  I was only 13 years old when the American anti-war was in full scale (1970-1972).  We were told and believed that the whole thing was the result of the North Vietnamese vicious and effective propaganda.  We were told that those anti-war americans were ignorant, unpatriotics, and gullible.  It was until much later, 10 years or so, that I realized that some of those protesters simply didn't want to have their sons killed for reasons that were never clear to them.

Geography, and history, and cuisine are sufficient.  Add a little culture to it, and you're all set.  Forget the names of the big guys there.  The less you know about them, the better.  You won't have an  opportunity to comment on their policies, their backward thinking, and so on...

Sam

newyorklady said:
have enough in mutual funds, bonds, a bit in ira, etc. to retire after making the 200k investment in a nice sunny location with a cheap cost of living. so it would be the million dollars in portfolio, the apt in nyc which i own straight out no mortgage and then the 200k place i will buy.

Damn, I should have gotten into investment banking a long time ago. :(

jphripjah said:
I think Thailand is a much more attractive option for young male retirees than female retirees.

I agree with the idea that you should strongly consider renting for a few years in a developing country before buying. You need time to learn the ins and outs of the country before making a huge investment like that. In many developing countries the ratio of rental cost to property value is far lower than in the US. You could probably rent a $200,000 home for about $500-$600 per month in many developing countries, where that would cost $1200 -$1500 per month to rent a similarly valued home in the US. I'm not sure why that is, but I think it has to do with the lack of a true middle class in some countries. Rich locals buy real estate and big houses as a way to park their money in something that can't be stolen from them overnight. But they have trouble renting them because the poor people don't have money to pay much rent.

I wonder why this is. Is it because the mortgage market is so thin that almost all houses are bought for with cash, so that there are very few transactions, so that it's hard to find out what the real price of house should be?

Interesting thread. I have bought in Thailand. It adds the advantage that it is giving one an automatic investment visa (1 year but automatic renewal as long as you own the property).

Being gay/lesbien/bi (I don't think I fit any of those groups myself though :D) or whatever is perfectly acceptable in Thailand - in fact many successfull people (not just actors Etc.) are openly gay and nobody cares. - age long culture of acceptance of that.

I have also lived in Vietnam and liked it - but Thailand do seem to be more foreigner friendly, better shopping selection, a bit more English speakers, more used to foreigners all related to having been "open" much longer than Vietnam.

One can find property on the beach in Thailand for $200k but it will not be in the prime beach locations.

That does not matter much, as one will be very safe practically everywhere in Thailand. Being a man or a woman. I have travelled and lived in Asia/Africa/Europe/Caribbean for 15 years and Thailand is probably the place I feel the safest. Africa and Caribbean seemed much more threatening to me.

That said; just as you plan to, it makes good sense to come and rent and try out the different options. Yes renting might be only 5% or so of the buying price here, due to exactly the fact that people prefer to invest in "real" stuff, rather than bonds/stock/bank accounts.

Oh; as to the Thai ladies it sounds to me that you can compeed just fine! ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for info. I think I will check out Thailand for a vacation sometime in the future. Argentina is higher on my list but busy until the end of the summer so won't get a chance until then. I am not homosexual, but would prefer to live somewhere gay and lesbian friendly so that is good to know about Thailand. Can't go on one vacation after another, so will probably be a year or so until I check out Thailand.

newyorklady said:
Can't go on one vacation after another, so will probably be a year or so until I check out Thailand.

I thought you were FIRE'd?

newyorklady said:
... but would prefer to live somewhere gay and lesbian friendly so that is good to know about Thailand.
Boy, I'll say. Sometimes they're even more friendly than the heterosexuals!

Helen said:
My first thoughts are about safety.  Being female is one thing, but I am gay and have a partner.

It's not like we hold hand while having sex in public ( only because we've been together for 18 years  :LOL: ), but I guess before traveling to different cultures I should do some research.  It would really suck to plan and save for early retirement only to be burned at the stake a few months into the reward phase.

Not that being gay alone puts people at risk.  I keep hearing that chewing gum in some cultures can have some dire consequences.

-helen

Hellen, I doubt that you would have any problems in Thailand or most other "Budhist" countries in SE Asia. Most Budhists are non judgemental, live and let live types. SE Asians stay focused on themselves and mind their own business.

Lance

newyorklady said:
I am but my husband is a working man. he does not like me to travel alone

So you're a housewife ;)

Or maybe you prefer sugar momma ;)

(just kidding!)

The old ball-n-chain?!

newyorklady said:
I am but my husband is a working man.  he does not like me to travel alone
This sounds like a Jack Benny routine.

"Hmmm... working... traveling with my wife... working... traveling with my wife... I'm thinking, I'm thinking!!"

It would be fine if I travelled with my sister or close female friend, he wouldn't mind then, problem is to get them to come along with me to places that aren't typical island vacations.

the husband is a workaholic, and wants to get as much money in the bank as i have, before he retires.

Late to this thread but I'm suggesting western Panama.  The Pacific beaches of the Azuero peninsula are under-populated, and the perennial spring weather of the high country sounds appealing.  On the east side of the mountain is Boquete, a tourist/retiree boom town.  The west side has smaller towns that are more affordable.  There is a lot of low populated rural beachfront all around the Azuero peninsula.  Be aware that much of the beach property is for sale without titles, it is "right of possession" property.  A great place to rent or lease.  Probably flunks your boredom test.
See escapetopanama.net for titled land, landhunterpanama.com  for ROP land then read panamaretire.net for an second opinion.  Use fallingrain.com to map some of the locations. 
I haven't been to Panama yet, but my wife and I sure like walking on deserted beaches in Baja Mexico. It is so quiet and peaceful.

newyorklady said:
the husband is a workaholic, and wants to get as much money in the bank as i have, before he retires. 

He doesn't sound workaholic to me. Sounds only that he is not delusional.

Ha

well, don't know about the not delusional part, just glad he is not a mooch. i don't have enough money to be anyone's sugar mama, though if i had the money i wouldn't mind, but he has more expensive tastes than i do

well, i think that having a frugal spouse is probably one of the greatest factors for financial success. but it is a bit hard when you both aren't on the same page.

Back
Top Bottom