Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pandemic got me thinking differently. What should I do?
Old 12-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pandemic got me thinking differently. What should I do?

Hello All!
I'm having some thoughts and change of heart and I'm not sure if it's a sign of mental growth, or a sign of mental anguish.
As a result of the current lockdown I have competely begun to rethink and change my outlook on life.
Prior to lockdown I was caught up in the hustle of life, working, saving, acquiring. Now that I've been forced to slow down, remove most of the "extras" in my life, I have a different view. I'm able to catch up on a lot of the reading I've been wanting to do, enjoying movies with my wife. Dining at home and enjoying what I have, not looking for the next conquest.
Add to this a very toxic job and horrible boss and it has me thinking very minimalist.
Has the goal line been moved? Is this a natural progression of maturity with age? Is this pandemic brain sinking in?
I woke up in the middle of the night last night at 3am with my brain crunching every financial scenario where I quit my job, get off the wheel, and do something different with my life. My job has been infinitely more stressful than in years past. We started a database migration just prior to Covid and the powers at be have the mentality that you can't go anywhere, kill yourself getting it done. What else do you have to do?
I apologize for the rant, but have so many thoughts running through my head and am really reevaluating life itself and what I hope to get out of it.
Stay safe everyone, and cheers!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Has the goal line been moved? Is this a natural progression of maturity with age? Is this pandemic brain sinking in?
Naah, you're just 78 years behind my timetable.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think it is just your BS bucket is near the top full. Looking for an alternate path, which your focus on the financials (and being on the forum here) means you want to retire. Just need to have the confidence to make that decision.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hopefully, going forward, we will all pay more attention to what really brings us happiness and pay less attention to what we're told will make us happy. There's some value in having our lives disrupted occasionally.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Looking at life after retirement, crunching numbers, work BS bucket filling--sounds like you are ready to take the leap!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Add to this a very toxic job and horrible boss and it has me thinking very minimalist.
I'd say that this would be the first thing to address. I've been lucky over the last 15 years not to have had bad bosses, but I had a few doozies before that. A bad boss can make even the best company a misery to work for. There are plenty of organizations and managers that treat their employees well. If you're not quite ready financially to take the leap to retirement, you owe it to yourself to see if you can find a better j*b while working towards FIRE.

Best of luck!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've been lurking here about 10 years. There are 100's of instances (and posts) of people having an awakening one day (or night). It happens, especially once you get past 45 or so.

The pandemic may have given you a boost, but a toxic boss will put that boost into hyperdrive.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #8

Have you read Nords Fog of Work article? https://the-military-guide.com/the-fog-of-work/

Sounds like you have had a little
Time to slow down with the current situation and are experiencing this right now. It seems natural to me and I think your BS meter is pegged.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:29 PM   #9

I don't think you're alone. We hear a lot about people who lost their job or work less hours.

There is not that much publicized about those who are being flogged with more and more work and toxicity, while being told you're lucky to have a job. That combined with the Pandemic, no wonder your stress levels are through the roof.

Hopefully your opportunities (including the opportunity to get out of there if that is what you wish) will improve over the next few months.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:03 PM   #10

Yes. If you are financially independent or near that, those thoughts will cross your mind. There's more to life than work.

Quote:
Hello All!
I'm having some thoughts and change of heart and I'm not sure if it's a sign of mental growth, or a sign of mental anguish.
As a result of the current lockdown I have competely begun to rethink and change my outlook on life.
Prior to lockdown I was caught up in the hustle of life, working, saving, acquiring. Now that I've been forced to slow down, remove most of the "extras" in my life, I have a different view. I'm able to catch up on a lot of the reading I've been wanting to do, enjoying movies with my wife. Dining at home and enjoying what I have, not looking for the next conquest.
I woke up in the middle of the night last night at 3am with my brain crunching every financial scenario where I quit my job, get off the wheel, and do something different with my life. My job has been infinitely more stressful than in years past. We started a database migration just prior to Covid and the powers at be have the mentality that you can't go anywhere, kill yourself getting it done. What else do you have to do?
I apologize for the rant, but have so many thoughts running through my head and am really reevaluating life itself and what I hope to get out of it.
Stay safe everyone, and cheers!
Old 12-13-2020, 03:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it is time to go.
In my last year of work, I started not feeling great about my job for the first time. This led eventually to an early retirement.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

OP, I can certainly relate to your post. I began to reevaluate my life after a health issue a little over a decade ago. I wasn't sure how much longer I wanted to participate in 'supposed to do' vs 'want to do.' Before discovering the FIRE movement, I began reading blogs and watching videos of simpler things. Below are a few examples:

https://vimeo.com/59749737
I had the pleasure of seeing Slomo on the Pacific Beach boardwalk a few years ago.

https://vimeo.com/94842405

I have set my date and have 310 working days, draggingly, remaining. Camping and getting away from the world has been a great help, especially this year.

Best wishes to you as you make decisions about your future.
Going camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #13

Once you have your epiphany, then it's possible to insulate yourself from the toxicity and stress. I only had to deal with the latter on my last j*b, but once I came to the conclusion that I didn't "need" the job, it became possible, through being mindful, that everything was up to me. So they give you 12 things and you have enough regular hours to do 8, you ask which are the most important 8, and do those. If they say "do them all", you say "fine, I'll work on the 8 I find the most interesting and the other 4 if I have time". The worst they can do is fire you, and you kind of want that anyway. This attitude takes courage because it's typically not exercised early in ones career. I wish I'd discovered it sooner because as soon as I was acting like I didn't need the job, I got more respect and they left me alone to get the most important stuff done. But I wasn't shy about saying stuff would not get done. I'd often use the juggling analogy...balls will be hitting the floor, if you don't want that, hire more or replace me.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote