Poll: 7 more years at high stress job, or 11 years lower stress?

Which would you take?

• High stress job and retire at age 51

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • Low stress job and retire at age 55

Votes: 61 77.2%

• Total voters

MoneyChic

Dryer sheet aficionado
If you had the choice between a very stressful job and retiring at age 51, or a lower stress job and retiring at age 55, which would you choose?

I made a version of that choice, by dropping down to part time at age 46, and working until 55.

If you have the high stress job you might not make it to 55...

I hope this is purely hypothetical. Often a low stress job will turn to high stress without the added compensation.

Talk about a Sophie's Choice!

It really depends on the person imo. Some people do well with stress at work and others will end up with serious medical problems as the result of stress. Seven years is a really, really, really long time for a person who doesn't cope well with stress and they should avoid it if at all possible.

Did have a high stress job, but enjoyed the job overall. Would have retired though in hindsight at 51 if I could have.

With no other info - switch. Assuming High Stress is beyond the norm.

If we're talking 50+ hour weeks, often calls on weekends and nights, pushy bosh, unrealistic goals... that's everywhere and the grass will not usually be greener.

If we're talking 60+, weekends in office, screaming matches, then that's high stress and you should find something else.

7 and 11 are both a long time. I'd take the 11 and see if I could get creative to make it 9, or take the 11, do it for a year, and then start shopping for a higher salary again.

I can't say what you should do but that is actually the choice I had. I spent the last 6 years in a low stress job working from home. Loved it. FIRED at 53. I actually worked longer in the low stress job than I had planned. I enjoyed it and was not in a rush to FIRE.

Tough choice. I voted (with many others I see) for the low stress route but it is rarely a clear choice. You could easily make the switch only to get a new boss who turns the low stress job into a nightmare. But, if you understand the jobs, and all signs point to a better fit with the slower path I still say go for it.

Too much stress and I'd be writing this from the psych ward

I think the data show that I chose the lower stress option throughout my career. On multiple occasions I declined to move into management, remaining a humble engineer.

Without a doubt it cost me financially, but being a Megacorp manager would have required me to abandon deeply ingrained moral principles, which would have cost me so much more.

I can't say what you should do but that is actually the choice I had. I spent the last 6 years in a low stress job working from home. Loved it. FIRED at 53. I actually worked longer in the low stress job than I had planned. I enjoyed it and was not in a rush to FIRE.

I got to work at home most of the time in my working career, maybe that’s why I didn’t find most of jobs stressful, until the last 5 years. It was very trying in the last 5 years because I had to get up early, like 5AM to commute.

I answered high stress/51. That's more-or-less what I did. It didn't kill me. And I'm so glad I retired at 52. Also, I found lots of little ways to make the job a bit less stressful. Last 3 years, I voluntarily moved to a position with less management responsibility but considerably more travel. I enjoyed the travel for a while, but after 3 years, I was done.

Also, when I'm honest with myself and ponder my 25 years in Corporate Hell, I think it was "me" that caused the stress, not really the job. I over-prepared for everything. Worried about little details. Took on the projects no one else wanted. Thought about work 24/7. Over-achieved. Over-analyzed. This paid off in terms of compensation, but the last 7-10 years was miserable. So even if I had changed to some hypothetical "low stress" job, I'm reasonably sure I would have figured out a way to make it stressful. That's just me.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Many great points made!
Regarding stress level of the job, DH often ends his weeks looking like a guy who just got discharged from the hospital from having a heart attack. The money and perks are good, but money is worthless if you are dead, so we're exploring other options. That could be a different job, or find ways to make the current job more bearable and also find ways to make the time we aren't at work more enjoyable.

My only regret is that I didn't pull the plug at 55 vs 59. Your results may vary.

Agree with many others here, take the low stress option. Stress will kill you, slowly or all of a sudden.

My only regret is that I didn't pull the plug at 55 vs 59. Your results may vary.

I forgot to add, regardless of the job....
You may read otherwise but a few years working don't mean that much, if you've been LBYM.

I agree with the lower stress option as long as it actually is going to be lower stress. If you work the high stress job you may be less happy and compensate with more spending, and be in a similar spot financially, just less happy.

The money and perks are good, but money is worthless if you are dead, so we're exploring other options.

I would try to find a happy medium. I personally went from a high stressful job and then plateaued my career purposely so that I can continue to keep making a good salary. Perhaps your DH can find a good alternative path.

It really depends on the person imo. Some people do well with stress at work and others will end up with serious medical problems as the result of stress. Seven years is a really, really, really long time for a person who doesn't cope well with stress and they should avoid it if at all possible.

This pretty much sums up my opinion.

I took the low stress route.

I also took the low stress route for past 4 years. I 'm pretty bored at work now since I choose to plateau my career but have kept a good salary. I also have more time for family and friends which is Great !

If the stress of your DH's current job is as bad as you say, then I'd say the only real option is to make a change. Getting to F.I. sooner is not worth destroying your health. But we really need more information to give you good feedback on this.

Back
Top Bottom