Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think it was sufficiently long ago that his rank is likely the same as yours and mine: Mister. (which still sounds just fine to me!)
Maybe it's my guilty conscience or old watchstander's trauma, but I still cringe whenever I hear someone call out "Mister Nords!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetSail View Post
Thanks for pointing out the links. They were interesting reading.
I have to pass the credit on to those who had the courage to post about what they were doing and then deal with the consequences... valuable lessons.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerwithabrain View Post
HAHAHA

I can't believe nobody on these boards struggles with the same issue!
Or some of us post less than others

What I do is take chances with small portions of the money.

For example if an allocation is supposed to be:

75% domestic/ 25% foreign
and
45% large cap/15% mid cap/15% small cap/15% foreign large cap and 10% foreign small cap
(100% equity across the board).

How many ways can you create that allocation? It is infinite.

Some of us buy the large cap fund and put 45% in it. Find the mid cap fund, 15% there etc...

I do that with 95% of our assets- my 401k, my Roth, my rollover- each each account has the 45-15-15-15-10 allocation in it.
My wife's 401k also has same allocation.

My wife's Roth and rollover DO NOT follow above. They are 75-25 (domestic-foreign) and also 45% large and similar. But I construct it MUCH differently. I construct it with sector funds. A tech fund, a natural resources fund, a financial services fund, a health care fund etc...

My wife's IRAs are less than 25% of the money invested (it might be 5%, 10% on a really good day).

I make decisions on what to BUY, but I rebalance this account very little (I do not sell much). I can generally rebalance with a years worth of contributions ($5000). I do not have a sector allocation- if I want 50% of the account in tech, 50% will be in tech. I focus on the xray more than the fund allocation (meaning the tech fund owns some large caps and lots of mid/small caps, the financial services owns more large caps and less small caps). I just analyze by xray only and make sure the portfolio never has more than 45% large cap domestic and no more than 25% foreign, and I am coming real close to what target needs to be in that regard.

I generally buy what is down (in 2008 I was buying real estate fund and financial services fund). Now I am focusing more on health care (lagged in 2009) and technology.

If I find a sector which does bad, that is usually the one I buy because it means it is lower than the others and will recover faster (financial services for me between 2008-mid 2009 nearly doubled).
Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerwithabrain View Post
I can't believe nobody on these boards struggles with the same issue!
If you only knew how I struggled with it!

If you're absolutely miserable in your j*b, then you have nothing to lose by changing j*bs. If you're like me, and it's the notion of servitude that you object to, then you just have to suck it up till you can afford to jump ship. I was in that phase for some years, and what helped me most was visiting this board, reviewing my finances, and looking for (reliable) ways to increase escape velocity.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #24

Your best bet right now is to see how cheaply you can live. Cut expenses in half instead of doubling your portfolio. Always good practice anyway. I was on our retirement budget for a couple of years before we retired, including CPI raises.

Not sure what your investments look like now. Certainly going 100% stocks would not be too far off the beaten path. I'm still doing that. So are you looking at just one or two stocks for the entire portfolio?
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
How will you feel if you lose 1/2 of what you have now?
+1
Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
+1
Not too bad, at least he got a lot of attention.