Private sector/no pension FIRE success stories

One more data point for ya. We semi-ERed last year to a little canal front beach box on the east coast. Somewhat conservative investment mix and no debt, blah-blah. About 50:50 at the peak, though with a few bonehead equity holdings I shoulda never held on to:(). Tiny pension many moons from now doesn't even get counted.

We had always planned to go part time and that makes the current events much more tollerable. Also have a 10 yr old in school so the part time work routine fits well with our daily routine and conservative nature. We might add a couple of extra years of PT work to the plan depending on how the market goes. It's not the worst thing in the world though I admit to days of feeling anxiety like everyone else. DW enjoys her half time contract gig and I don't make didly compared to my old job but hey, kiteboard instructor/assitant manager at a new resort suits me just fine:D

I know the sentiment here is very anti-work but I truly think part time work gives you a lot a freedom and peace of mind at the same time. ESRBob's book was a big motivator for me. Individ health insurance is definitely our biggest expense. This year we'll withdraw about 1-1.5% from the current stash to make up for annual expense, so hopefully we're still in a position to semi-accumulate. We'll see

Back
Top Bottom