RE @ 42yo

jurgs01

Recycles dryer sheets
I am set to retire as an O4 with 24 years in the military NOV 2023 (declining an O5 promotion to retire).

Have dividend income to make an extra $2k/mo.

We have enough cash to buy and build a house in our primary area, and another property in a second area.

My wife is an O4, and will retire as an O4 or O5 in 2027.

My boys will be 5 and 7 when I retire, and homeschool or private school are the options. We are also looking to have one more, and are thinking about adopting another in the future.

My question is related to how people feel when they retire so early. The kids will obviously keep me busy, but is there anyone who has regretted taking the RE plunge in their early 40s?

Late 40s unfortunately and no regrets (just wish it was sooner). I keep pretty busy; if anything I have more that I want to do than time/energy to do it. As many have said, there is a laziness that seems to be common... not in a bad way at all but less pressure to "do it now" because you have to be at work in an hour etc so you do things when you want to do them... It's nice to do things at a slow pace... cook a meal over 2 hours rather than rush out a sub-par meal in 1/2 etc.

My biggest challenge is socializing (I didn't get any social value at work -demographics and culture wasn't there) but it did limit the time I had to be social to when other working folks are free. I'm a fairly outgoing introvert and can stay in too much for my own good and am happiest when I balance alone time with socializing and there are occasional dry days I want to get out and no one is available and/or those that are available are much older than me... I have plenty of older friends but I do like being with people that can keep up and push me a bit when doing physical activities instead of holding back so often. I would think with kids you would be fine with respect to time. If I had a SIGOT in my life I think that would round out my desire for socializing (actually would likely decrease some as far as seeking out opportunities as we'd have shared activities in addition to time spent together). The kids should also keep you engaged with your peer group (defined by age/family status) a bit more as they add another commonality besides work.

Dating is definitely different and not germane to your situation but I'll mention it for others; while someone FI would be great I'm good with a partner that chooses to work but I think many, especially first impressions, don't get it and think "bum" or view my FI as unemployment and a red-flag that I might be a parasite seeking a host. Only in dating has "what do you do" been a weird question for me.

If you are set financially then there is no reason not to retire at any age. I would have retired at 18 if I didn't need the money. With two O4 pensions it seems very likely you should be set for life. Congrats and good luck.

Not that you need the extra money but I would recommend talking to someone at the VA about possible disability benefits. Even if you don't think you are disabled you may be able to qualify for a good chunk of additional money every month. My Dad never knew he qualified from his 2 years in Vietnam until after he retired from the Post Office at age 64. Then, with the advice of a DR at the pain clinic, my Dad started going to the VA for an assessment and follow up visits and by age 70 he was getting 100% disability thru the VA. He started at 10% and went to dozens of DR appointments over several years and gradually got his rating increased. Worth a try.

Looks like it's 2 for 2 on "go for it."

Thanks for the social aspect perspective and VA recommendations. I am in front of people all the time at work, but naturally I am an introvert so I have to be careful not to become a social hermit.

Retired at 38. Going on 65 soon. Still playing Aloha `oe on a steel guitar. Like Springsteen said: No retreat, Baby, No surrender. I'd have retired at 18 too, if I had had the money.

Last edited:
Do you have any set hobbies?
I retired at 57 and have no issues finding things to do and yes once in awhile we do absolutely nothing.

Do you have any set hobbies?
I retired at 57 and have no issues finding things to do and yes once in awhile we do absolutely nothing.
Golf. Work out. I also invest and day trade.

Honestly, kids can be a full time job at this age too. We homeschool our oldest, but are open to sending him to a good private or charter school when we move.

I think this depends a lot on personality. I left my job 5 months ago and just turned 55 last month. I had a very dynamic and largely engaging career, so part of my adjustment is turning off the success addiction and find new avenues to create a sense of mission or purpose. That’s a work in progress.

But if you’ve got the money I’d go for it. Kids and hobbies can certainly keep a person busy. Just know if you’re like me you may have some deep thinking ahead.

No regrets here, early 40s retiree as an O4 too. It takes a bit to find your groove in terms of activities...just keep trying different stuff and/or people till you find what works. It's great!

My question is related to how people feel when they retire so early. The kids will obviously keep me busy, but is there anyone who has regretted taking the RE plunge in their early 40s?
Nope! Last month marked 20 years since I retired as an O-4. So far so good.

https://militaryfinancialindependen...nancial-independence-and-military-retirement/

As a side issue, there aren’t enough dual-military retirees for a valid statistical study of their finances. However the few dozen couples that I’ve encountered over the years (including this forum) have all had more money than they needed for their lifestyles. In a few cases, way more money than they needed.

Thank for your service. Enjoy those kids,decompress and see where life takes you.

Nope! Last month marked 20 years since I retired as an O-4. So far so good.

https://militaryfinancialindependen...nancial-independence-and-military-retirement/

As a side issue, there aren’t enough dual-military retirees for a valid statistical study of their finances. However the few dozen couples that I’ve encountered over the years (including this forum) have all had more money than they needed for their lifestyles. In a few cases, way more money than they needed.
Thanks Nords. I can't remember when, but you were the reason I found this forum (was doing a search on dual mil retirements I think).

I may have a skewed view about how much is needed to retire because the Navy has kept me in high cost of living areas.

The military has definitely been tough with seven deployments, missing both boys being born, difficulty with co-location, long working hours, etc, but now that we are approaching the end having those two inflation protected retirements in our 40s is going to be really great. Complete freedom on where we can live.

Thanks Nords. I can't remember when, but you were the reason I found this forum (was doing a search on dual mil retirements I think).

I may have a skewed view about how much is needed to retire because the Navy has kept me in high cost of living areas.
You’re welcome! I’m paying it forward.

You’re absolutely right about a skewed view. As you approach the second retirement ceremony you guys can start looking around at preferred locations, and then take the time to find a place where you’d like to spend a few years.

The “forever home” is a myth. Don’t worry about getting it right on the first try.
https://web.archive.org/web/2021041...ry-guide.com/dont-buy-home-leave-active-duty/

Back
Top Bottom