Reading material for son

bubba

Recycles dryer sheets
My son emailed this morning and asked if I read any blogs about financial independence. He is young, about 5 years into his career. He contributes to his 401K, and uses a target date fund. This is the first indication of his interest in financial independence and I want to steer him the right way. So, if there was one book and one blog you'd direct your kid towards, would you please share the name? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Your Money and Your Brain by Jason Zweig.

The Millionaire Next Door by Stanley and Danko
followed by
The Millionaire Mind by Stanley

Classic LBYM texts

Send him to the Bogleheads site. Eventually, it will save him years of mistakes.

I get bored with most personal finance and investment books, but have been a regular reader of Money magazine for over 30 year and also Kiplinger Personal Finance.

Bogleheads forum. They have a ~ 5 page beginner guide to investing, which printed out and gave to him. Now he's off and running. About half the days when my son is home while job hunting post college, he is reading about investing to understand the terminology. Learning 1-2 things a day about investing will translate to a wealth of knowledge in just a year.

Instead of a single source, ask him to enter search terms "active versus passive investing". He ought to find a lot of useful info from a lot of diffeent sources there.

-ERD50

I second The Millionaire Next Door. I read this book in my mid 20's - I thought it was going to teach me how to get rich quick. Instead it taught me that getting rich is not quick. It really made me want to learn about all things financial and provided me with a realistic investing timeframe before retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Excellent suggestions. Thank you. I will share every suggestion and I've ordered for him the book referenced up-thread.

Most definitely "The Simple Path to Wealth" just out by JL Collins. He is FIRED himself and wrote it for his daughter as she started her career. It has all the right values folks on this board espouse, including avoiding debt, saving half your income, investing in Vanguard stock index funds, retiring early. It's excellent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom