Revived: Retirement Planning for Young Military Member

Congratulations on your early retirement and your financial position. And on the diversified sources of your income. Nice position to be in.

I would just comment on the "crazy" growth in equity investment positions over last couple of years. I do believe the stock market is in overvalued territory and due for a substantial correction. I myself am taking any "surge" opportunities that present themselves to lighten up on my own equity positions. In other words, I think this historically long bull market (what, going on 11 years now, or maybe longer?) is living on borrowed time. Don't know what will set off the correction, but a substantial one is overdue. YMMV

I couldn't agree more. This isn't sustainable for the "long term". Being that I'm still over 20 years away from even considering drawing any of the equity funds, I suspect I'll just leave them where they are. I'm not much for active management of those funds as they are fairly diversified....albeit all in small, med and large cap stock funds.

Awesome update man! I love seeing all the different paths to FIRE! Being a USAF veteran, I am always interested in these especially. I myself was in and out as a 3CO but still use that veteran's discount :)

approaching 40 there is no way I will achieve the doors and values of your accounts, you all are well on your way to owning your future 110% super inspiring, nicely done! :cool:

Thank you very much. All we can do is keep focused on our goals and make sure our actions align with effective execution.

Congratulations on all fronts--financial, personal(marriage), and upcoming retirement.
Setting goals and planning how to meet them from age 18 is impressive!

IF children are in your future, you will never run out of ways to spend your money! However, you will also experience great joy.

Congratulations on all fronts--financial, personal(marriage), and upcoming retirement.
Setting goals and planning how to meet them from age 18 is impressive!

IF children are in your future, you will never run out of ways to spend your money! However, you will also experience great joy.

Thank you for the kind words.

Children have never been part of the plan and that won't change. The closest I'll get to that are my step-children from my recent marriage. They are 17 and 19. There will be some expenses with regards to them for sure, but will be fairly minimal and easy to manage.

An amazing story!

I hope to see my kids stay in until retirement...though they will be closer to 50 than 40 when eligible.

Back
Top Bottom