Join Early Retirement Today

Rollover Question
Old 08-15-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Rollover Question

I left my old employer and have a pension and 401k to potentially roll over. The pension rollover is a no-brainer for me. My understanding is there is no time limit to roll over the 401k. Is this correct?

At my new employer, I am on probation until November, when I can start contributing to their 401k (on a side note, I'm hoping I can still max out this year, despite missing this 3 month period). So, I don't have many details of my new plan yet. My instinct is that my old plan will have better investment options. In the meantime, I'm thinking I'll roll the pension into my old employer's 401k. Then, I can take my time a little on deciding whether to take the entire 401k and roll it over into an IRA or what.

I'm trying to research this myself, but I figured this is a pretty knowledgeable group. Is there any advantage to leaving the money in a 401k versus an IRA? The only thing I can think of is that my old plan has a special pool index fund which has no fee. Is that worth giving up for the diversity of IRA investment options? Could I roll over everything BUT this one special fund? If I hold closed funds in my 401k, will I lose the ability to invest in those if I roll over?

Thanks in advance.

Jason
dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Rollover Question
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Like most things, it depends

In many cases (depending on state law) your 401(k) might have preferential treatment in case of bankruptcy, divorce , or lawsuit

In addition, depending on the size and quality of your plan you may have access to institutional class index funds with expense ratios as low as 5bps or stable value funds which pay much higher rates of interest than you would be able to get on your own.

Also, in most cases you will lose access to closed funds if you roll your money over

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

-special investment options
-age 55 rule for distributions
-may have lower cost institutional class funds
-your state may not offer the same bankruptcy protection in IRA as 401k (ex: in OH first 1mm is protected in IRA vs unlimited in 401k)

IRA
-any financial provider
-almost any mainstream financial product

I am not rolling to IRA so that I can make non deductible IRA contributions that I can convert to a Roth once the income limit is lifted, 2010 I think, without having to include pretax amounts in the conversion calc besides gains. So there can be other planning minutia that will dictate where or if you roll.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the responses! I'm leaning towards leaving the old 401k alone for now, until/unless I can find a good reason to move it out. The priority is rolling over the pension. My old employer already dialed back the pension plan, so I'm happy to take my money and run before they decide not to pay at all.
dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #5

I would suggest getting and reading the SPD's. The options can be unique to the plan and still within the law. I rolled out my pension and am letting my 401K ride. Waiting to see about the 2008 ability to convert 401K funds directly to a ROTH (which is a provision of the newest Pension Reform Bill).
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
I would suggest getting and reading the SPD's. The options can be unique to the plan and still within the law. I rolled out my pension and am letting my 401K ride. Waiting to see about the 2008 ability to convert 401K funds directly to a ROTH (which is a provision of the newest Pension Reform Bill).
For those who don't speak ERISA, SPD stands for Summary Plan Description. Ask your HR dept, they have to provide you with one if you ask.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutros
-almost any mainstream financial product
I've been amazed at the wacky stuff I have been allowed to buy in my IRAs. Options, warrants, foreign individual equities, you name it...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
For those who don't speak ERISA, SPD stands for Summary Plan Description.* Ask your HR dept, they have to provide you with one if you ask.
And reading one has one of two effects: sheer terror, or puts you to sleep..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote