Semi-retirement at 33?

Update

Got a few PM's of late asking about our situation. Figured I'd just update the thread.

On the house. It got sold out from underneath us. We were pretty devastated. It had been sitting on the market for over a year and half, so we felt little need to be in a rush, fly out and see the place, etc. So we booked a nearby oceanfront cottage for the week of March Break (paid our deposit and everything) with the plans of driving out, seeing the place, and making an offer. 2 weeks before we were to leave, the owners received and accepted an offer. We were stunned. It had never occured to us that after 1.5 years of just sitting there on the market that there was any danger of an offer coming in. We put in a standing offer for list price should the deal fall thru, but the deal went thru. To add insult to injury, we couldn't get our deposit back on the cottage we had booked. Thankfully, the owner let us change the date to the summer and we got to enjoy a nice week by the ocean later that summer.

Set a bit of a precedent for us. We just came back from a week on the North-Eastern tip of Prince Edward Island, and we're probably booking another ocean front cottage next summer.

Since then, we have been continuing to look for another property but nothing is really jumping out. I know it sounds funny to say that we haven't been able to find anything in a year and a half, but our experiences with neighbours/noise/music has made us EXTREMELY particular about what we want. It won't be any good to make some major life change only to end up next to some yahoos that blare gansta' rap at all hours of the night. Actually thinking about smaller acreage but oceanfront. We discovered with our two stays in the Atlantic provinces that the ocean creates white noise that drowns out alot.

Aside from that, still thinking about doing "the plan". Continued to pay down the mortgage, increase our savings, etc. But coming into work is getting harder and harder, and I hate it more and more.

On the house. It got sold out from underneath us. We were pretty devastated. It had been sitting on the market for over a year and half, so we felt little need to be in a rush, fly out and see the place, etc. So we booked a nearby oceanfront cottage for the week of March Break (paid our deposit and everything) with the plans of driving out, seeing the place, and making an offer. 2 weeks before we were to leave, the owners received and accepted an offer. We were stunned. It had never occured to us that after 1.5 years of just sitting there on the market that there was any danger of an offer coming in.

Been there, done that. All I can say is: if you find something that seems like a 'keeper', don't let the grass grow under your feet. However, this is much easier said that done, as major purchases can be difficult to decide on.

Set a bit of a precedent for us. We just came back from a week on the North-Eastern tip of Prince Edward Island, and we're probably booking another ocean front cottage next summer.
Renting once or twice a year while you away at a distasteful job is a short-term option that should considered. You will not be the only one in that situation: listen to Martha & the Muffins' 1980 hit, Echo Beach [YouTube - Martha & the Muffins - Echo Beach].

My brother got snipped, and said it was painless, and needless to say he LOVES it now. All the sex the wife will give him with no condoms, no birth-control, and no worries.

For anyone thinking of getting one... Get a non-scalpel vasectomy.. not that I can compare it to the other one, but mine was extremely painless and the recovery was a snap.

Shave very well beforehand and the nurse won't have to do it for you.

Planned Parenthood will do the surgery. It's been 22 years ago so I don't remember the price, but it was inexpensive. Do not go to work the next day, or you will come home with a couple of lemons. Having to wait several weeks to test fire the blanks was the worst of the procedure.

what I would do is buy the property, either rent it out or vacattion there several times a year. Be careful of this idea, it could be the biggest mistake of your life. Sometimes we change our minds. I know I have and glad I did later on.

Bill T
USA

Back
Top Bottom