Join Early Retirement Today

Re: "Shout out" to all my fellow players out there
Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Coach - I could be wrong but it seems the expensive part about Colorado is mainly the real estate, no?* Everything else seemed reasonable.
Sounds about right. Real estate in many parts of CO is way out of whack with the local job market/incomes, and it probably means that those who aggressively leveraged houses they can't really afford will be sorry. Other than that, cost of living seems quite reasonable compared to many other areas.

Naturally, this excludes places like Aspen, etc.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
I lived in colorado springs for about 6 months through the winter when Digital first opened the technical support center there.
But it's a dry cold!

My father enjoys the heck outta hiking the Rockies near Grand Junction. Whenever he visits here he's bothered by the humidity (he can literally smell the water in the air) and the heat. Whenever we're in Colorado we're gasping for breath...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Sounds about right. Real estate in many parts of CO is way out of whack with the local job market/incomes, and it probably means that those who aggressively leveraged houses they can't really afford will be sorry. Other than that, cost of living seems quite reasonable compared to many other areas.

Naturally, this excludes places like Aspen, etc.
This is truer than I thought. National Realtors Association, median existing home prices http://tinyurl.com/koyl2 are 207.3 US, 348.4 Boulder, 204.4 Colorado Springs and 247.1 Denver.

Coach
Old 03-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Haha no way am I in that boat.
Wish I could find it, but there was a web site where you could put your income in and it'd tell you what percentile you fell in for the US and the world. IIRC anything over 35-40k put you in the top 5% in the world.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Here it is.

http://www.globalrichlist.com/
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The problem with that site is that it only looks at income, and not net worth or even cost of living. An amusing link, but nothing more, IMO.
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:49 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a good topic, Laurence. I remember about 6 months ago talking to a friend about my early retirement theories (yah, I won't be dumb enough to do that again) and something similar came up. Basically, you have to find that middle ground between miser and spendthrift.

As much as I enjoy watching my net worth creep up ever so slowly, I still try to remember to take nice vacations or to buy a new video game that I like now and then so I can remember what I'm working so hard for. Plus when my friends hear about my $500/night hotel stays, they forget that I won't pay $8 to go to the movies and are fooled into believing I'm "one of them"
NinjaPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Never wish away today, ER is a noble goal, but slaving twenty years and missing out on life isn't the way to get there. I came home last night to find my wife, her cousin and both of our daughters playing slumber party. A $40 steak on the company (well sort of, I'm on Per Diem) is nice, but home is nicer.

...great, just as I type this my cat coughed up a hairball at my feet. :P Welcome home.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #29

Ninja -

I am with you on being picky when it comes to expenditures. You will always remember your trips and vacations. I doubt you will remember some crappy movie you spent $8 to see. Traveling is worth every nickel.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #30

Laurence -I'm so happy for you that success is right at your feet. It couldn't happen to a better guy. Like I said before, you're still young and you haven't even reached your peak earning potential yet.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, I agree with you. I am still working and having fun - although planning and learning for/about retirement. My challenge is balancing play with saving - I want to do more of each.

One of the things I did that made working better is move to where I like to vacation. I used to live in northeast Arkansas and now live in Pensacola Florida. I love Pensacola (not to big not to little, fishing, diving, beach, seafood, all with Southern Culture - there is never enough time to do all the things I want to) and before hurricane Ivan (hurricanes are the downside of living here) real estate was the same price as NE Ark. I plan to live here when I retire in 10 years.

I am in commercial real estate lending and the market here is unreal. I used to be happy when I landed $400-$500K deals, now
$5 million is common.

I did not know a soul here before I moved, but am very glad I did. My family and friends thought I was crazy to move, but now they all want to visit to vacation - and then hate to go back to NE Ark.

OK my braggin is done.
scubamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great topic Laurence...I am really new to the board but I feel like I am among friends I have known for years. I am a savings freak (like most of you all) and I have made some good decisions and taken some risks in my 35 years. I am very pleased with my 800k+ net worth and 100k+ year job. I have two indulgences however......Clothes and Travel.....

Every year I go on a HUGE shopping spree at an annual sale for my favorite designer...St. John (www.stjohnknits.com). I spend between 4 and 5k, but I grab at least 15 to 20k in clothes and I DON'T shop AT ALL the rest of the year. I have a wonderful wardrobe, but I drive a 1996 Ford Contour so there are trade offs. I also have expensive travel tastes....Every year I take a trip to St. John USVI, I picked up Starwood (Westin) timeshare in 2000. In addition to my annual carribbean trip, I usually take a trip to Mexico or go overseas for 10-14 day excursions. Bragging over

Balance is one of my favorite words and a guiding principle for my life. It is great to save thousands of dollars a year and watch the $$$$ pile up, but my life experieces and perspectives are more shaped by my interactions with the ecology around me versus the financial statements that come in the mail every quarter. I believe we all need an outlet where we can express ourselves, wind down or just be silly or frivilous.

I am wondering what others motivations are outside of early retirement? As I get older I am finding that money for moneys sake is not very rewarding. I relish having my "wants" more and more.
RETIRE_TINGLE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:50 AM   #33

Retire_tingle,
welcome to the board -- I agree with you that life has got to be more than one long saving-fest, and that somehow we've got to find the fun in amidst every day even if we aren't to ER yet. It's not as though suddenly the day you ER life goes from black-and-white to color. If you haven't figured out how to have fun along the way, it isn't something you can learn in a day.

So while I can't relate to spending 4-5k on clothes in one sale (i'm a guy, what can I say) I understand the fun that a trip to St John or Mexico can mean even if it does cost a bit more. Keep it up -- sounds like you're finding the right balance.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #34

So I want to hear from my fellow young dreamers, about how you are making the best of today, and not just slaving to shave a year off the time until you can retire. There's too much living to do to just always look to the distant future!

Well, I couldn't respond to your post earlier, because I just got back from 8 wonderful days in Costa Rica!

Karen
Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great Karen - I am sure you had a great time in Costa Rica. I haven't been there yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about the country. There are a lot of retired americans living there too!
RETIRE_TINGLE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was in my early 40's I was anticipating retirement at 50. (saving, skimping, worrying). Then a few friends in their 50's started hitting walls with heart problems and other medical malaise's, that it came to me, you better start enjoying today.

Took 150k, had a boat build with a local builder, had a BLAST deep sea fishing for 4+ years. Sold boat, use friends, (who work too much) boats, and now am retireing at 50 1/2. The money I lost in the boat I would of lost in the market when it took it's hit a few years back. .. never to have had the experiences I had.

Avoiding risk in one area, can create it in others. Finding balance is key. Sometimes that means enjoying life with what is givin you now, and assisting the future, for dreams you have for later.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #37

I started a business, and finally took my leap into real estate investing.

I started what is becoming a very successful air duct cleaning business....that will put an extra 20-30k/yr in ym pocket!

I just bought my first rehab. I plan on holding onto this home for 1 yr and turning more than a 25k profit
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #38

Thefed....

Glad to hear the business is working out for you.
And you got the house you bid on? WTG
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:16 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy the Turbo Beagle
huh, I think this is more positive than the typical "My job sucks" thread that periodically pops up.
That's true Maddy but Shortimer makes a great point (one of the downsides of this board). Lauarence, you da man! I still look forward to goin to work, makin money and hangin out with co-workers friends and family. If I spend too much time here I get down on work.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote