Single ERers

My work involves kids but I'm glad to leave at the end of the day. I respect parents who do a good job. There are others who have no business being parents. I'm cheerfully single with no regrets. Couldn't stand that much commitment, I guess! :D

DOG52 said:
I wonder how the uhh......big man looked on this at the pearly gates? :eek:

Hey, he did nothing wrong.... they offered a very very high cost insurance component with the loan and he took it... so, they paid one claim in 1,000 or more... they made a lot of money and so did he....

It if was a concern, they should have the question on the form "are you terminal?"...

Texas Proud said:
Hey, he did nothing wrong.... they offered a very very high cost insurance component with the loan and he took it... so, they paid one claim in 1,000 or more... they made a lot of money and so did he....

It if was a concern, they should have the question on the form "are you terminal?"...

Is God a strict constructionist? ;)

nun said:
The kernal of my conversation with friends about this is that until you have children you carn't really
comment. Friends with children are obviously totally in love with them, to the point
of idiocy, but I suppose that's what its all about.

Yes, I've heard that asinine argument before when I offer my opinion on other people's rugrats (I'm 100% childree). The part about "well, if you don't have any of your own then you don't really know enough to say anything".

I then ask them if they have ever walked out into a pasture, picked up a cow pattie, and eaten it. When they say of course not, I ask them, well if you've never done it then how do you know you won't like it? Of course, if they *have* done it, I'm screwed.

Larry

madsquopper said:
I then ask them if they have ever walked out into a pasture, picked up a cow pattie, and eaten it.

Then by your argument, I assume you have? If not, you are giving an opinion (not that opinions are bad, but they are better based upon your "personal experience".) ;)

- Ron

i'm single, gay and sans children. it is illegal for us subhumans to be married or to adopt children in my home state of florida. i'm not sure but you might even be allowed to shoot us in season.

instead of children i have convertibles. florida doesn't seem to mind that. my convertible is very well behaved. i've never had a problem with my convertible acting up in public, not even with road rage. sibling rivalry is not an issue because i always wait until one is out of the house before i bring home a new one. also i will never have to send my convertible to college. i can tell it's already very smart because sometimes i space out yet it always seems to find our way home.

my brother has 3 kids and he is intent on paying their way through college. my brother will be working until he is dead. better to be subhuman than dead, i always say.

Spanky said:
there is no such thing as subhuman - all human beings are equal.

Yeah wasnt it god created man and sam colt made them all equal?

Single, no debt, no kids. However, staying until George Bush leaves the White House, (just timing). Could leave at any time. Could have left a while back. Do I love my job? No. Just being extra cautious. I will be 56. Hopefully will have a few years ahead of me to relax and spend. 8)

lazygood4nothinbum said:
i'm single, gay and sans children. it is illegal for us subhumans to be married or to adopt children in my home state of florida. i'm not sure but you might even be allowed to shoot us in season.

Lazy, you're very welcome here in Canada if you can stand the cold! We do weddings......

I'm single/divorced. I have a SO, and I would like to get married again someday, to him or maybe someone else! ;)

My FIRE plan right now just uses my numbers. Current SO likes the idea of retiring early so if we ever pool our resources, we'll be on the same page.

At 37, I don't know if I'll ever have kids. Adoption is something I've often thought about. If so, I'll just adjust my numbers!

Karen

I'm single, childfree by choice, still working by choice (pretty much FI) and in a relationship with someone of similar status. He has a grown son who's married and on his own.

Since we look at our FIRE status as a couple, I probably don't fit the OP's question, but I think that being single, and thinking about finances as a single my whole life is what enabled us to combine forces and suddenly realize we are basically FI.

Meadbh said:
Lazy, you're very welcome here in Canada if you can stand the cold! We do weddings......

thank you meadbh. i have seriously considered that. i thought i could just as easily travel during your winters instead of traveling away from florida during our summers. but during my research i found it is not so easy to become a citizen there. perhaps i could request political asylum.

my only other choices here are massachusetts, vermont and now new jersey, but all too expensive for my early retired budget. i will just have to remain in hiding in fort lahteedah. though we are illegal statewide, seems we've managed to forge a more or less homophobia free trade zone, if not in the entire city, at least within most of the better restaurants here.

Sinlge, no kids, not ER.

Have mortgage on second home and small remainder of HEL. Good SEP-IRA that is marching along. Am currently acting like a good squirrel and finally have a plan for putting away a specific pile of nuts as a non-taxable retirment income. Would like to sell second home which is in a resort area for a simple second accomodation in a warm climate. Right now, I'm dreaming of Hawaii, but might come to my senses after reviewing the real estate and living situation there.

My biggest concerns are setting myself up a safety net for health/infirmity. Will set up a MSA this year, and plan on aquiring long-term care insurance at about age 60.

I suffer from lack of a partner to help guide me on a day-to-day basis, and end up relying on my recently widowed mother to get a better picture about what later retirement years hold. I'd hoped for a retirement before 55, but it looks more like 60 is safer and more suited to my likes. I'm a medical professional, and my occupation is a big part of my life and my identity. My dear father passed away this year, and it seems that I suddenly grew up a great deal, enough to really give my future a hard look.

DINKs so I think that it is the best of both worlds.

Forty years ago or so, I would have had to go to Canada to be married I would have had to get married in Canada since we are from different races. My wife is Elfish and I'm not.

Divorced, no kids (had the good sense to get clipped before marraige), ERed at 48
after a programming career. Over half my friends went the no-kid route (although
many are married). A few of my no-kid friends are closing in at ER at 55 or so. One
one of my friends with children has semi-retired, and could ER if he wanted.
Not having kids was a very easy choice for me. I never really liked them much,
even when I was one. I do not really dislike them either - I just feel no connection
to them. Dogs, on the other hand, I am a real sucker for.

The money I spent raising my children was the best investment I ever made .The Joy I get from them is more than I've ever gotten from money. I don't regret one second of it .

I am single, 53 years old, never made more than $55,000/year base salary, have never been married, have never cohabited, never had any children . . . wait a minute, maybe this post should come under the "Are you INTROVERTED?" thread :LOL:

I would say I became financially independent in my late 40's and "early" retired at age 50. I have never regretted my decision to not marry or have children.

Toejam said:
I am single, 53 years old, never made more than $55,000/year base salary, have never been married, have never cohabited, never had any children . . . wait a minute, maybe this post should come under the "Are you INTROVERTED?" thread :LOL:

I would say I became financially independent in my late 40's and "early" retired at age 50. I have never regretted my decision to not marry or have children.

I regret marrying.
I have never regretted not having children.

It's truly a blessing when folks who are glad they didn't have children didn't have children.

youbet said:
It's truly a blessing when folks who are glad they didn't have children didn't have children.

Hello YouBet:

I think you kinda misinterpreted my statement that "I have never regretted my decision to not marry or have children". This is a neutral statement. It doesn't mean I am "glad" I didn't have children. It simply means that I feel no disappointment or sorrow that I had no children (as opposed to someone who feels remorse or distress that they "missed the boat"). In my case, it just so happened that I was not able to find someone in my younger years that I wanted to make a committment to, so there was no marriage. And I certainly would not want to have children without being in a stable relationship (preferably marriage). I still would not rule out getting married if I found the right person, but it is biologically too late for me to have children. In fact, I am quite responsible, caring, and nurturing and probably would've made a pretty decent parent.

Back
Top Bottom