Sources of Job Stress

Jay_Gatsby

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In another thread, Cyclinginvestor noted out the following:

Strangely, now that I can walk out anytime I feel less reason to
actually do so, since my only previous source of stress was fear of being
laid off and not finding a new job, which has happened to several friends
in IT.

I think this is the biggest source of stress for many people, including those who LBYM. The LBYM-types wouldn't necessarily be stressed out by the lack of a job, but rather by the effect such a situation would have on FIRE.

Thoughts?

I agree.  Back before I "saw the light" and I was barely making it to the next pay check, almost everything would stress me out at work. The higher my bank account grows, the lower the stress goes.

I wouldn't even say that I'd be stressed about FIRE if I lost my job - more like, pissed-off and disappointed that true FIRE (and not just unemplyment) was further down the road because of the job loss, but I wouldn't consider that stress. I know now that with my financial house in order, I could weather a long absence from the workplace.  (Not quite ready to do an UncleMick, but soon, someday...) heh heh heh

Cal,

I suppose it's a different kind of stress -- one that is self-imposed (internal) rather than triggered by day-to-day obligations like paying the rent, food, etc...(external). Internal stress can act as a motivator to get back on track because you're in control of it, while external stress acts as a depressant because you're not in control (although you can cut back on your expenses).

Back
Top Bottom