Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First I told my boss that I was looking for a position outside the company. Then I told him I wasn't really looking but will be retiring. I gave a tentative date so he could find a replacement but I didn't put it in writing. The day before I was to put the two weeks notice in writing I broke my collar bone. I stayed for another 6 weeks or so to go through the surgery and recovery. Much better working than sitting at home while I healed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I suspect it is really situation and career dependent. My boss knows that I plan to retire in 5 years, at age 55. But he also knows that 1) I can and will leave earlier if it gets bad, 2) it would be in my interest to keep working until at least 55, 3) I might change my mind in 5 years, depending on life's situations. That gives him enough motivation to try and keep me happy.

I always tried to set myself up to "not have to stay where I am", if it got too bad. I remember too many people my parents age losing their jobs in the early 70s and I said then, I will never allow myself to be in a situation where I lose everything if I lose my job. Hence we have always lived comfortably (imho), but well below our means. I want them to need me more than I need them.

I think my boss envies me.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sometimes I tell people I work with that I only plan to work into my 40s, and they just think I'm kidding and laugh at me.

If I have achieved FI, I won't think it's a big deal to let my boss know that I can leave any time. When I RE (which is still 15 years away), I plan to let my boss know 6 months ahead of time to give them time to hire a new person. (Yes, it does take the government that long to hire someone sometimes). On the other hand, in my agency, there seems to be more respect towards those who can retire but are still there. Quite a few old timers are known to be "one bad phone call away from retirement," so people treat them pretty nicely.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Meadbh said:And speaking of unprofessional behavior: in my experience, the small minority of people most likely to act unprofessionally are those who have essential skills, are already financially well set, and are narcissists with large egos. That combination sometimes leads them to think it's OK to be abusive to others who have fewer options.

In healthcare, a disproportionate number of these people are surgeons.

But I'm sure that doesn't apply to any member of this forum!

Thanks goodness I'm not a surgeon! Actually, I am in healthcare and the people who have been most abusive have been people in the administration who are very unhappy - I've been fortunate to not have any MDs treat me poorly and only one RN who was unhappy with the message I had to deliver. And so far, most consider me very professional - it's that military formality - sir, ma'am and Mr/Ms/Dr unless asked to become informal. What I don't take too well is threats to call my boss - huh? I gave them my phone number and said to feel free - I keep my boss informed of all.

As for being financially secure - I've found a lot of MDs are not...they've allowed their lifestyles to match or exceed their salaries. What has amazed me is the number of MDs married to MDs who are 'strapped' for cash - one cardiologist I worked with was bemoaning his wife's taste in houses and rebuilding them - and she's a double boarded physician herself in genetics and perinatology - whew!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
And speaking of unprofessional behavior: in my experience, the small minority of people most likely to act unprofessionally are those who have essential skills, are already financially well set, and are narcissists with large egos. That combination sometimes leads them to think it's OK to be abusive to others who have fewer options.
IMO, that is NOT the reason they act that way.
Quote:
In healthcare, a disproportionate number of these people are surgeons.
It's the 'god complex' that some (MD's) have developed. I've seen this with some CEO's, high level executives, ... and other people in power, but to a lesser degree.