Spreadsheets

It looks like you and rottentomatoes are using different rating scales.

No, there's is from 0-100, but I just didn't happen to go to any movies with a rating below 60.

Rottentomatoes checks reviews of many reviewers, and the rating is the percentage of reviewers who gave the movie a positive rating. I thought that would be a great way to avoid seeing movies that I didn't like, but as you see, the correlation isn't high.

SteveR said:
Justin,

I was not sure who would take the bait but I guess you win the prize as the most anal-retentive one here so far. Yes, I do know that hyphen does have an h in it. Glad to see there are folks here with nothing better to do than spell check others' posts. ;)

Keep up the good work. :)

I thought it was funny. I've seen other message boards where people will correct other people's spelling and grammar. Usually by saying "You're speling sucks" "You mispelled hyphen" or "You're grammer is horible". This is some funy stuff.

I also noticed that you made other speling mistakes on this board in the past. Either you were bateing me, or you made a mistake and now your trying to pretend that you mispelled hyphen on purpose.

Al has my back here on mispellings.

Justin,
I usually don't bait anybody but in this case it was intentional as part of the anal retentive remark.

I can't spell worth a darn most of the time but in this case I really I was trying to make a joke. Glad you have a good sence of humor. 8)

TromboneAl said:
No, there's is from 0-100, but I just didn't happen to go to any movies with a rating below 60.

Rottentomatoes checks reviews of many reviewers, and the rating is the percentage of reviewers who gave the movie a positive rating. I thought that would be a great way to avoid seeing movies that I didn't like, but as you see, the correlation isn't high.

Hmm... I wouldn't count them out just yet. Maybe if you saw some movies RottenTomatoes rated below 60, you'd find some correlation.

I used to do something similar, favoring movies with good ratings on critics.com, metactritic.com, and rottentomatoes.com. But now I hardly go to the movies anymore.
I did find (without a spreadsheet) a huge correlation. Anything rated in the top 20%ile or so I was perhaps 75% sure to like. If I picked a movie at random, I'd guess the odds would be about 1/3 I'd like it.

Actually, I still do use the websites, to pick dvd's, again with pretty good success.

I've heard the best method is to find which critics you agree with, and use them. I'm too lazy.
The websites work ok for me because I like most types of movies, if they are well done. I especially like good "art films" and good foreign films which tend to be favored by the critics. If your tastes aren't in line with those of the movie snobs, the websites won't help as much.

(Not calling you a Phillistine, Al... maybe your tastes are more sophisticated than the critics. :)

Right, LD, I've come to exactly the same conclusion. If the rottentomatoes rating is less than 35 or so, I'm quite confident that I won't like the movie. Most of the movies I record with my DVR have RT ratings in the teens, and I usually delete them after only a few minutes of watching.

TromboneAl said:

Rottentomatoes checks reviews of many reviewers, and the rating is the percentage of reviewers who gave the movie a positive rating.  I thought that would be a great way to avoid seeing movies that I didn't like, but as you see, the correlation isn't high.

One thing I do not do is listen to DW. Every time she says, "You will love this
movie!" it's been a stinker. She is 100% so far............

JG

I don't use spreadsheets and don't really track the money that much. Hmmm, I wonder if that is why I am still working and not ER? I bought the Quicken program several years back and started to use it, but screwed something up and quit, thinking that I would get back to it at a later time, but never did. I don't know if I could even still use it or if I would need to get updated program. I do not have Excel.

Dreamer

Dreamer said:
I don't use spreadsheets and don't really track the money that much.  Hmmm, I wonder if that is why I am still working and not ER?  I bought the Quicken program several years back and started to use it, but screwed something up and quit, thinking that I would get back to it at a later time, but never did.  I don't know if I could even still use it or if I would need to get updated program.  I do not have Excel.

Dreamer

I don't have EXCEL or Quicken and would not know how to use them if I did.

JG

I have been using quicken for many years. I am not too impressed with its investment download and reports. Recently I am doing a free trail of Mvelopes. Has anybody tried this program? Its basically mainly for budgeting, but I am impressed with its downloading ability. Better then quicken.

I use Money but I must say the annual update crap really irritates me. First, there's no real reason to update it annually and second, every version seems to get heftier and slower and more built in ads.

But there are lots of things I still track in Excel. Me being a spreadsheet junkie too. My most used spreadsheet tells me how far I'm digging into my ER savings every month (or adding to them) and why (e.g. exceptional items).

I have been working on my spreadsheet and got it up to around 6 worksheets with savings rates and where I need to be at the end of each year and to see how I am progressing. I recently added a mortgage worksheet with early payments getting my mortgage paid off before FIRE. It is all aggressive, but with a good base in my early 30s and a good income, high savings rates, and LBYM, I think it can be done and not feel deprived at all. I am mainly targeting waste in my budget.

Back
Top Bottom