Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I put out corncobs and peanuts and sunflower seeds and safflower seeds and suet cakes and flowers (for hummingbirds and butterflies) and water; I get many birds (and squirrels and raccoons and 'possums and chipmunks). The birds include crows and three species of hawk.

Sometimes I realize I have been watching the critters for a long time; a form of meditation?

It costs a bit, but I consider it cheaper than many other hobbies/entertainment.
On Sunday, I came home to a huge, waist high snowy egret standing on my lawn near my front door. Such a regal and elegant bird!! Usually they are found by the drainage canals here in New Orleans, and not in people's front yards. I was surprised that he did not fly away from me. We watched each other and eventually he slowly walked towards my driveway and I went inside. Five minutes later I looked out the window, and he had flown away. If only I had got a picture of the snowy egret, standing in front of the blooming blue plumbago at my entry arch.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I put out corncobs and peanuts and sunflower seeds and safflower seeds and suet cakes and flowers (for hummingbirds and butterflies) and water; I get many birds (and squirrels and raccoons and 'possums and chipmunks). The birds include crows and three species of hawk.
If your feeding station is close to the house, be careful. Squirrels are considered vermin by insurance companies (don't know about raccoons, possums or chipmunks). Squirrels have a habit of chewing on stuff, including electrical wire...even in the attic. Insurance companies exclude damages caused by vermin...like electrical fires. So, you may want to set up a squirrel feeding station (corncobs) away from the house.

For something different, you might want to put out mealy worms (sp?). It attracts insectivorous birds who don't normally visit a bird feeder. For best results, put the worms out at the same time everyday. Eventually, the birds will be there waiting for the handout.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
On Sunday, I came home to a huge, waist high snowy egret standing on my lawn near my front door. Such a regal and elegant bird!! Usually they are found by the drainage canals here in New Orleans, and not in people's front yards. I was surprised that he did not fly away from me. We watched each other and eventually he slowly walked towards my driveway and I went inside. Five minutes later I looked out the window, and he had flown away. If only I had got a picture of the snowy egret, standing in front of the blooming blue plumbago at my entry arch.
What a great surprise! Might I suggest that you start a life list (of birds spotted...maybe with a comment about when and where you first saw the bird, especially since you plan to move to a different area when you retire. There will be different birds in different areas. I used to take my binocs with me on business trips. If you rent a car, it makes it easy to visit a park or other good birding spots after work or the way back to the airport.

I once saw a falcon take a pigeon in downtown Dallas. It took its prize to a highrise parking garage and proceeded to pluck the feathers and eat the bird. It was a little gross, but quite a facinating spot...that was about 12 mo before ER. Had my spotting scope delivered to my office and my boss cleared a corner office window to set it up.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote