Starting a business talking to young adults about finances?

It would be difficult to establish a business in this area for all the reasons previously mentioned. I never understood why financial issues were not part of my high school education. It would seem that skills such as establishing a household budget, balancing a checkbook, avoiding high interest rate debt, etc. should be covered at this level. I first learned how to establish a budget in boy scouts as a requirement for a merit badge (probably the same one that Brat mentioned).

Brat said:
Another marketing venue would be Credit Unions.

I think this is an excellent idea............and Navy Federal Credit Union has a long list of openings including "Financial Advisor", although the #1 job element is probably selling.

My nephews received The Green Magazine Guide to Personal Finance: "A No B.S. Money Book for Your Twenties and Thirties" for Christmas.

You could used that as a textbook for a class for young adults. It doesn't talk down although I think it is a little basic (except for mortgages, by your mid 20s they ought to know much of this stuff). This would be eye-opening for most 17 year olds. 4-star rated by 7 readers on Amazon.

I think it could grow into a business once you have students clamoring for a class.

(added comment)

chrisdut said:
...I never understood why financial issues were not part of my high school education. It would seem that skills such as establishing a household budget, balancing a checkbook, avoiding high interest rate debt, etc. should be covered at this level...

Can you imagine what this country would look like if everyone learned how to control their financial lives?

The credit card companies would go broke!

retire@40 said:
Can you imagine what this country would look like if everyone learned how to control their financial lives?

The credit card companies would go broke!

Which is why they ply college students with 0% cards......... :D :D

I'd LOVE to be the one that took down Citibank or Chase, that I was the little cog that brought the whole industry to it;s knees.............ok dream over............ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

FinanceDude said:
Which is why they ply college students with 0% cards......... :D :D

I'd LOVE to be the one that took down Citibank or Chase, that I was the little cog that brought the whole industry to it;s knees.............ok dream over...........

Actually, I did my part. I applied for the Citibank Dividend card while I was in college.

Since then I have paid them $0 in interest and I've received over $3,000 in "dividends" from them.

ERD50 said:
Kids aren't going to care, and don't have the money to pay. You *might* find some parents that would want someone to teach their kids, but that seems like a hard sell to a small minority.

I have a young lady aged 22 working for me. She has been saving for FIRE since she was 16 and has a nice portfolio. Her mom is an accountant and ensured that she had a good grounding in basic personal finance. Lucky girl!

Ceberon said:
I know you're already aware of this, but I think it's the single largest roadblock to your idea. I've had many of the same ideas, as I'm sure others here have as well. I am always shocked at how little my relatives / friends know about finances, and keep thinking that my knowledge is incredibly valuable to them.

The problem is that almost no one wants that value that you can offer. Not only are they not interested in finances, but even if you make it sound interesting "You could retire by age 40 if you'd only..", they still will fade out as soon as you start talking percentages.

I certainly wish you good luck, but it is hard to get people to be interested.

I think there is a huge market for people to get financial advice - but not 18-25 - think age range is more like 23-30 when you are thinking about working seriously, starting to get a real paycheck and realizing you have to pay for everything on your own.

I know that personally and a lot of people around me have only books as resources as we are immigrants, kids of immigrants and have far less access to family knowledge or resources on these types of things. well, and with the internet you can get started, but people would love personal one-to-one advice or even small group advice where you can ask questions if it didn't come from a large firm...

I think the hurdle is to market yourself correctly so that you validate you know what you are talking about and you aren't out to "sell" your wares more than just good knowledge - word of mouth would be a strong validator.

you could give free lunchtime talks at a few businesses with young associates...

bright eyed said:
I think there is a huge market for people to get financial advice - but not 18-25 - think age range is more like 23-30 when you are thinking about working seriously, starting to get a real paycheck and realizing you have to pay for everything on your own.

<snip>

you could give free lunchtime talks at a few businesses with young associates...

I can second this. At the end of college, and the start of my first job, I had "all this money" that I knew I'd like to invest, but wasn't sure which direction to head. I started off getting raked over the coals by insurance salesmen, but thankfully read enough Bogle/Bernstein/etc. to stay afloat and run away from Mr. Broker. Into the loving arms of Vanguard.

Ok, I'll stop the VG worshipping.

-CC

Better to be selling hot cars and big screen TVs.

Always start a business that caters to demand satisfaction rather than demand creation.

kcowan said:
Better to be selling hot cars and big screen TVs.

Always start a business that caters to demand satisfaction rather than demand creation.

Or, the visionary business mind who "sees" a need that is not yet being filled ;)

seriously, the coworkers and friends i know who are "good" at this stuff learned it from very informal networks like family - the rest of us are on our own and few are diligent and get going early on our own, but many can use a helping hand :D

i think 25 is the "oh crap" it's up to me?! year - haha hopefully you have a good job, pay rent (maybe on your own for the first time, find your own health insurance etc. no more financial aid or help from parents!

and even if we do get good advice from family or friends, its good to have an outside point of view, of someone who may have been more successful or diligent in their commitment to saving/investing well, and doesn't have a slick website or book (yet) ha.

but it could depend where you are too - i'm in the SF bay area and that is densely populated with a very diverse population, if that is not where you are, it might be a different scenario - i think big cities with lots of people who've moved away from home! ;)

It's very strange how people react. They tune you out completely and ignore the message, or they pretend to listen to the message but in the back of their mind they are actually tuning you out because they expect you to sell something to them. Or they might actually be interested, but the thing there is that they already know enough about finances to keep their heads above the water. If you want to do what you say what you want to do then kudos to you, because you will be fighting against the current system of keeping our youth in the dark ages in regards to finance, all part of the system of churning out millions of debt ridden students yearly, and poor souls who retire in their 100's down the road. But be optimistic and dynamic about how you'll approach this, because if students recognize what you're doing for them they'll come in droves... and you'll have accomplished what you set out to do.

chrisdut said:
It would be difficult to establish a business in this area for all the reasons previously mentioned. I never understood why financial issues were not part of my high school education. It would seem that skills such as establishing a household budget, balancing a checkbook, avoiding high interest rate debt, etc. should be covered at this level. I first learned how to establish a budget in boy scouts as a requirement for a merit badge (probably the same one that Brat mentioned).

I agree wholeheartedly. There are lots of children who do not even go to college, so this should be done at the high school level, either in their junior or senior year. It should be a required course, not an elective and they should be required to pass the course as part of the graduation requirements.

I have seen many financial messes that people have made for themselves, when I was working. I would not have been able to sleep at night, if I had had some of their bills.

Last night, on 20/20 I believe, they had a show regarding money and debt. One couple lived in a beautiful big house, but owed $60,000.00 in credit card debt along with the usual mortgage and car debts. They had also bought 2 timeshares for investment reasons and had large mortgages on them! Some people just don't have a clue! I think that it would be very rewarding to help people climb back from those type of lows and give them a chance to reclaim their lives by teaching them how to get out of and stay out of debt. They also had another family that had 5 children and earned less than $35,000.00 per year and they had absolutely zero debt. They only bought what they could pay for in cash.

Brat said:
\
I think the Boy Scouts have a finance merit badge

I am an Eagle Scout and I believe that Personal Finance is one of the best merit badges. It requires you to keep a 90 day budget and learn about basic financial concepts. Another one of the requirements is to have a discussion with your parents about your family's financial situation. Seeing my parents balance sheet was the event that got me interested in savings. I thought that my parents were poor compared to other familys because of our house size, the cars in our drive way, etc. However I learned that day that my parents had a nice nest egg. After seeing their balance sheet, my parents questions about needs vs. wants began to make sense.

Back
Top Bottom