Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #102
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I'm kinda surprised with the talk of becoming aware of one's mortality slapping them in the face that no one brought up any sort of after life. Religion or not, when faced with the realization that the end is a whole lot closer than the beginning of one's life, it does beg the question; is there anything AFTER death?
Taxes?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #103

Quote:
I'm kinda surprised with the talk of becoming aware of one's mortality slapping them in the face that no one brought up any sort of after life. Religion or not, when faced with the realization that the end is a whole lot closer than the beginning of one's life, it does beg the question; is there anything AFTER death?
Absolutely! And it's almost identical to what was before your birth.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually not for me. I’m curiously uncurious about it.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Actually not for me. I’m curiously uncurious about it.
I try not to waste my time on questions I cannot answer.

I don't pretend to be sure about magical places we might go after we die, and I don't pretend to be sure that such places don't exist.

Why are people so unable to utter the simple words "I don't know"?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #106

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Cremation, burial, or being eaten by crows and coyotes?
Nemo, You forgot the luncheon for survivors.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #107

My parents are in their early 70's now, and retired ~5 years ago. In those 5 years they took one vacation to the beach for a week, and have spent the rest of their retirement at home, or in hospitals, etc due to medical issues. As an insulin dependent diabetic, I'm acutely aware that medical complications are likely in my older years as well, so I'm firm in my commitment to retiring while I'm still in my 40's and living my life as I want to live it, without the burden of commuting and going to work for another 20+ years instead of enjoying the things in this world that bring me joy for all those hours.

Good or bad markets, I'm retiring before I hit 50 and I'll adjust my standard of living downward some if necessary to make it happen. I can be happy with a few more meals of chicken instead of steak if need be to ensure I have that time to go do the things in life I'd like to do, but currently need to work with the time I'd be doing them.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Why are people so unable to utter the simple words "I don't know"?
I once saw a bumper sticker that read:
Quote:
MILITANT AGNOSTIC
I don't know, and you don't either!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't pretend to be sure about magical places we might go after we die, and I don't pretend to be sure that such places don't exist.
"Be strong, and you will be renewed".

Old 02-09-2019, 05:27 AM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
I'm with you on this one. My mom was diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia this past spring - typical lifespan after diagnosis is 5 - 7 years. When I hear people talk about how they want to work an extra 5 years and have more money to spend I kind of want to scream*. Time is really the most precious of resources, and sitting and talking with my mom costs nothing.

The mother of a friend of mine had Lewy body dementia. My own mother had Alzheimer’s. My father (life-long smoker) died of brain cancer at 62. Too many people I have known in recent years all thought they had more time...
Old 02-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #111
Confused about dryer sheets

Sounds like something I would enjoy, thanks for the post!
Cameron1038 is offline   Reply With Quote