Join Early Retirement Today

Stupid #&%!!$% Job!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Stupid #&%!!$% Job!!!

So they've told me for months they are going to take care of me, they recocgnize me working through lunches, customers really happy, the fact I'm the lowest paid guy that does what I do etc. etc.

Today my boss hands me my raise. Drum roll please.....

3.8% 3.8%!!!!!!! I think it may be 2 tenths over the pool.

Why bother working hard?? Boy this week is full of lessons. I will be doing some looking around soon, make my case.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Stupid #&%!!$% Job!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's a blessing in disguise. I've gotten so much reinforcement this year that FIRE is my destiny. No "gee, I'd be a fool to walk away from this kind of money" here! Still, while I'm very proud of my wife being a big time breadwinner, I was hoping to finally bring a little more to the table.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Stupid #&%!!$% Job!!!
Isn't that redundant?

Don't let them index you to CPI!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
3.8% * * *3.8%!!!!!!! *I think it may be 2 tenths over the pool.
Is this in addition to a COLA, or is this it?

3.8% pretty much preserves your spending power with current inflation rates...
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That's the total. Weak. I've already made it clear I was underwhelmed, we are going to have a chat.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So they've told me for months they are going to take care of me, they recocgnize me working through lunches, customers really happy, the fact I'm the lowest paid guy that does what I do etc. etc. *

Today my boss hands me my raise. *Drum roll please.....

3.8% * * *3.8%!!!!!!! *I think it may be 2 tenths over the pool.

Why bother working hard?? *Boy this week is full of lessons. *I will be doing some looking around soon, make my case.
You're a typical corporate sucker. *I was one too for a few months when I graduated college. *That's when I realized that if I was going to work through my lunches and work overtime, I was going to do it for myself and not for some unappreciative corporation.

I don't know how corporations expect their suckers employees to come to work the day after they pull one of these inflation-only increases on a hard-working employee. *I guess they feel you will put up with it and keep working anyway and/or there are enough people to take your place if you quit.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #7

I didn't get a raise last year, so 3.8 is more than I got. Course I don't kill myself working through lunch etc.

I'm just counting my days....I may give notice on May 1.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm giving raises to my employee of less than 1% for the last couple years. The "system" decided they were overpaid for what they do.

They were well paid to start so no one has quit, but they are not happy. My last raise was 1.5%. I'm also well paid so not complaining. But certainly not motivated.

I really don't know any corporate types that are getting big raises these days. Except CEO's of course.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had the same reaction my first year with my last employer. I'd done a little job hopping here and there and mostly worked for small to medium sized companies. My usual annual raise was 15%ish. My job hopping increases were 25-30%. When a company had held back my earnings for a couple of years and wouldnt re-index me back into the market, I went straight to work for their primary competitor and handed them their ass. Not a smart move.

My first year at the last employer netted me a 2% raise. I looked at the boss and said "Uh...is this missing a one on the front or a zero on the back" and he smirked and said "No, thats our standard annual raise". I pointed out that the effort to do all the paperwork and processes around the reviews probably cost more than 2% of our aggregate income :

The good news though is when my 2nd line manager asked me the next day about my review I told him I was very disappointed in the increase. He said that was about the best they could do on salary, so I asked "well, next year if it comes down to that, I'd appreciate a bigger bonus or a lot more stock. In fact, more stock would be great as I know I'm contributing directly to the companies bottom line and I'd like to see more of my compensation tied directly to that success".

The next year, I got 3%, but a nice big bump in my bonus, and...two years worth of huge stock option grants. My eyes popped out. Five years later when those grants matured and were exercisable, they were about a buck a share cost to me (after a bunch of splits) and worth about $1.7M.

And I learned a nice trick. Turns out each "review group" has fairly fixed salary guidelines, but they each got a lump of bonus money and stock to distribute, and there was always some slack left in the bonus and stock pools. The guy managing the review group had discretion to push some of that slack to a specific individual...if you could make a case. So five minutes yapping with him or her at the end of the review session and talking up my #1 performer in that group usually got me a little stock/bonus spiff for them. Most of the managers didnt want to bother with the extra work.

So when the crappy raise fairy drops by, look for other ways that are easier for your boss to help you out with compensation. Their hands may be tied on salary, but more vacation time, some flexi-hours, some more stock or bonus money, a promo, better projects...they've got something they can use to please a good employee.

If your company gives NO leeway of any kind to the management or they wont give YOU any leeway, they either arent a very good place to work or they dont value your contributions. These are good things to know
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is not at all out of the ordinary in corporate America these days. 2-3% is what we're getting now typically. I work for a large telecommunications company.
grlcndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You are all correct, it's not a bad raise in a vacuum, but like so many suckers before me, I got brought in at the low end of my salary grade and promised large raises to catch me up. I feel so naieve, and the worst part is I think they think they did a good job for me....
Old 04-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I suggest you shop your resume around to see what the job market looks like. It may be that your current pay is beyond the mid-point of your pay range, or your employer may not have the profit margins they have had in the past.

If it is the latter you may need to change industries. If it is the former it may be that others may value your skill more.

Don't jump up and down in the boat before locating the life vests.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

My official HR guide book category pay range is from 52.5k to 87.5k. This raise put me at 62.5k. So I'm around 28th percentile? I'm a professional, I will never burn bridges, who knows when you might want to come back to a company? It's on me to make my own fortune. Actually, I feel sort of motivated right now, it's strange, but somehow I feel like I've been given, or perhaps given myself, permission to do what I have to do.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:
My official HR guide book category pay range is from 52.5k to 87.5k. *This raise put me at 62.5k.
You said that you work writing security software (encryption?), right? If you've got some reasonable experience and are good at it then you could probably double that (or more) in the SF Bay Area. Are you sure that you couldn't find a better paying employer in the San Diego area? Are you getting some major benefits to compensate for the lower salary?

Just going to head off to the company weekly Friday beer bash.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Actually I'm network/system security. I don't write code (o.k. maybe a script from time to time). I authorize ports being opened on the firewall, write security plans, things like that. You refer to a superior breed than I.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been informed that I'm stuck in a "matrix" determined by seniority and my current salary, and the best I can hope to get is 2%. I'm also hearing more about co-workers who have "topped out" -- no raises, just a bonus.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been informed that I'm stuck in a "matrix"
Did you ask them if you can choose between the red and the blue pill?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

the blue pill just makes me paranoid, now the red pill really takes me for a ride!
Old 04-02-2005, 04:52 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I just took the red pill and handed in my resignation! FREEEEE!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:09 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Now this one I can really relate to !
I've played a game much like th played, working for a while at one employer and every few years seeing what is out there and jumping if it's worthwhile. Each of my job jumps has gotten me 30-40% raises. My last jump netted me a 1 Year European stint which I did excellent work at where the region quota came in at 150% and the sales guy I worked with the most doubled his quota. I get some commission, but not as much as the sales guys (I'm a techie). So, I return to the US and get my review from the European team. It was stellar, according to my manager, one of the best the company has ever seen including all the supporting documentation to back up the claims by my peers. So, my raise comes in at..... are you ready ...? -0%- !!!!! That's right ! The part I left out was that the company I joined got bought by another company after I joined. When they were doing the reviews and salary adjustments, apparently I was alread making much more than the people in their company doing more or less the same job, so the did "compression raises." Interesting, they say the pay for performance !
So, my take on this ? Companies exist to make money, period. They will do what they can to keep expenses down to maximize profit. It's not personal and I don't take it as such. I changed jobs for the same reason, to maximize my wages. Like others said, I'm also paid very well anyway. Now of course, if I get another offer from a competitor for a significant bump up, well, you know the answer ! Also, I work hard enough to be proud of my contributions, and put in the time when customer issues require, but I take it back later when I can. Don't kill yourself, this is, after all, just a job.

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote