Temp/Part Time work during ER

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
What kind of work are you doing during ER? Why do you do it? Do you need the $ to live on or just like to get out of the house on a regular basis? Do you mind a boss 20 years younger than you? Do you like knowing that you can walk away from the job anytime you want to and feel no long-term negative effect?

What else... :confused:

None
Doing nothing is doing something IMHO.
I just like to wander.
I couldn't handle any boss; older, younger, doesn't matter.
Already walked. Mostly all positive except net worth-wise.

JG

This is something that I spend a lot of time researching now. I do not want to go to another full time job, but I'd like to work part time in services for seniors. I'm doing some volunteer work at a CCRC, but it's almost impossible while I'm working full time - the staff there needs help while I'm at work. But I'm researching it seriously. It's work that I enjoy, I feel like I'm helping to enrich other lives, and it will help to pay our expenses until we feel we have enough to start taking from our savings.

Doesn't work disqualify ER?

What kind of work are you doing during ER?
Why do you do it?
Do you need the $ to live on or just like to get out of the house on a regular basis?
Do you mind a boss 20 years younger than you?
Do you like knowing that you can walk away from the job anytime you want to and feel no long-term negative effect?
What else... :confused:
Home improvement, martial arts, & surfing are more than enough work. And sometimes I'll help out with the kid's sports activities.

But as a carryover from my working days, I provide handyman services for a single mom on our street.

It's fun, I learn to deal with other problems than at our house, and I get a chance to practice different skills.

Neither. I charge $25/hour but it's so that she doesn't feel embarrassed to call. The socializing doesn't hurt, but between work & kids she never has a spare moment so it's done while fixing things at her house.

Not at all-- she can boss me around any time!

Freedom of choice-- priceless. But she only calls a couple times a year and it's never a bother.

After three years of ER, this is as close to "work" as I ever care to get...

What kind of work are you doing during ER?
I've tried all kinds of things. I work on the election board for elections. I've worked as part of the security team for local events. I review and edit books and articles for technical publishers. I do very selective consulting work. I serve as Neighborhood liaison to the city for my irrigation line. I've worked as a laborer on archaeology excavations. . . whatever sounds interesting.

Why do you do it?
If it sounds interesting and stimulating, I'll try it. I like spending a day or two working with people who I wouldn't otherwise get to meet or know.

Do you need the $ to live on or just like to get out of the house on a regular basis?
I don't need the dollars, but it doesn't hurt.

Do you mind a boss 20 years younger than you?
No. I would mind having a boss that was a jerk, but it doesn't matter how old the boss is.

Do you like knowing that you can walk away from the job anytime you want to and feel no long-term negative effect?
I don't sign up for anything that isn't temporary. I don't want a job to get in the way of my other interests and travel. My exit strategy is built into the jobs I've taken on.

:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom