Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The balancing act
Old 12-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Spanky - I live in Manchester, England, UK
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear about your setbacks Claire - I hope all works out with new j*bs (even though that sucks I know)

Helen, IIRC you're in Oregon right? I was just in the Portland area this weekend and like it a lot. Good move! (although the place you're moving from sounds lovely, too bad you can't keep both) What do you think of the Lake Oswego area? (seems nice, but it is full of PUDs?)

Yes, I don't know whether to call it a "balancing act" or just taking life as it comes. Our plan is for DH to quit in March. One of his main projects is beginning to wrap up and the groundwork is being laid for another one, so DH has begun to tell people that he is looking into moving to a new group (keeping it vague) well, once word got out folks are approaching him about projects in Manhattan, (oh haven't we always wanted to spend more time in Manhattan?), Tokyo (oh, wouldn't that be neat, what are the rules about bringing dogs?), Destin, Fl (WTF, who knew the company even had an office there, but wouldn't it be nice to live at the beach for a year or two??) We feel practically schitzo.

Sometimes I wish I had a crystal ball that would tell me how it would all work out (especially if these opportunities would still be there if DH took a 6 month sabbatical) but like Willie Nelson said, he never could have wished for his life to work out as well as it did (drug arrests aside, I'm sure) so I'll just stay along for the ride.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire
I forgot to mention that we have lived in the city for the last four years and I am sick to death of the place, I would much rather live in a rural setting at the moment, the city is not all it is cracked up to be

Think urban sprawling concrete jungle metropolis, a souless existance. Actually I have never felt so lonely and isolated in my life
Bummer! - I grew up in a small town and did not like living in Minneapolis for the first 4-5 years. Had to make some new friends and adjust. Now have live here for 30 years, and it's now 'home' - I would not want to go back to a small town.

- I am guessing that you moved to the city from a smaller community where you had a lot of friends? - The city can be intimidating at first, but once you make new friends, you see the advantages of ethic restuarants and cultural events. It's an adjustment that can take 5- 10 years.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your post cut throat

I dont know where to start, we have been here for 4 years and have no real social ties - before then I have moved around fairly constantly - I suppose you could say I am a Vagabond I dont have any family ties so me and DH are pretty much on our one

It hurts and its very lonely - I suppose I am just tired of isolation but the not moving around, I find that British people are VERY conservative and antisocial - I find that Americans are very social and personable and I am thankful for that - I also think that most people see beyond american foreign policy and do not judge the person per se.

Much love to you all

Claire xxxx
Old 12-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #25

Claire,

The world will never beat a path to your door. You have to take the first step. You have to join some social groups. Pursue your interests with others. If you like Biking, find a biking group. If you like quilting, find a group that does this! Book Clubs for women are great. If you cannot find a book club, Start one! - You can turn your life around in 6 months, but you 'have to get out there'!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:02 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Shiny for your post

love

claire x
Old 12-17-2006, 02:47 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Helen, my first thought when reading your post is how are you going to enjoy the place in retirement if you're not enjoying it now? I can see that not having to commute daily might make it more tolerable, but still....

I say enjoy your life now. I ticked away 5 years paying off debt and not really living, and it's hard to get back into the groove afterwards. After paying off debt and having a long-term vaguish plans about early retiement I find myself saying "now what?" I'll figure it out, but it sounds like you've already figured out what will make you happier now.

Any chance you can rent your country place out or sell grazing rights or logging rights (for part of the property) or something? Just tossing out some income-generating ideas if you might be able to hang onto the place without a cash drain. That is, if you'd like to keep it.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Wow, that brought back some memories. I'm a city guy. I live in the heart of town and will probably do so until I die. But that description took me back to a friend's family's cabin on a trout stream in Michigan somewhere south east of Travis City that I visited a couple of times aboy 35 years ago. The setting was absolutely gorgeous exactly as you described. The cabin itself was a warm, roomy, homey affair that made you want to just sit back and relax. You could hike up the stream in either direction and see no one (that has probably changed over the years). I learned to fly fish (poorly) there and caught a couple of brown trout (at least I think that is what they were). I still wouldn't want to live there but it would make a great get-away place. C-T - you would be in heaven at this place.
My family and I spent a lot of time in the Traverse City area when I was growing up. It is beautiful up there ! A bit too much snow for my taste during the winter, but the Summers and Falls are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
Helen, IIRC you're in Oregon right? I was just in the Portland area this weekend and like it a lot. Good move! (although the place you're moving from sounds lovely, too bad you can't keep both) What do you think of the Lake Oswego area? (seems nice, but it is full of PUDs?)
The North West in general is fantastic and Portland is a great city. It's small enough to get around without too much in the way of traffic, yet big enough for entertainment and nice dinners. Lake O. is a very expensive subburb filled with McMansions. We were thinking of being right in the city as opposed to a burb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Helen, my first thought when reading your post is how are you going to enjoy the place in retirement if you're not enjoying it now? I can see that not having to commute daily might make it more tolerable, but still....

I say enjoy your life now. I ticked away 5 years paying off debt and not really living, and it's hard to get back into the groove afterwards. After paying off debt and having a long-term vaguish plans about early retiement I find myself saying "now what?" I'll figure it out, but it sounds like you've already figured out what will make you happier now.

Any chance you can rent your country place out or sell grazing rights or logging rights (for part of the property) or something? Just tossing out some income-generating ideas if you might be able to hang onto the place without a cash drain. That is, if you'd like to keep it.
Since the house is paid off we do have some options, like renting this place and taking out a mortgage on the new place. I don't know if I want to get into the rental business. One house is enough to keep up with. Also, we were thinking of retiring in the city for a better social life and better access to the airport and medical facilities, so we had planned to sell at some point..

We need to do some things to the house whether we sell or not, so it would not be a waste of money or time to do this. It's also a good motivator to get rid of crap ! We won't move while we have the Great Dane as she would not do well in the city, so we have some time to prepare and decide what we want to do.

Right now we are busy with the aftermath of our recent wind storm. We had five huge trees fall over. Two landed on the car, one took out a chunk of our fence and the other fell onto the car port. We lucked out though, one tree was a foot away from hitting our kitchen. The car has minimal damage (I think the fence took most of the weight). The neighbors have been over with their chain saws helping us to clear a path. There is easily ten + cords of wood out there ! We lost the gutters on one side of the carport (I had new gutters installed six months ago ..), but the roof is in good shape. All in all we are very lucky.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Helen -- Five trees down? Wow, and here we were griping because our trees dropped 3 big branches. We got the chainsaw out and gave the resulting firewood to one of our neighbors who was out fixing his roof after part of a large-leaf maple tree landed on it. Another tree was partially uprooted, is leaning precariously and has our fence in its sights so hopefully the owner will get it down before it falls onto the fence.

Glad to hear that you came through in pretty good shape given the possibilities . . . !

Getting back to the topic at hand . . . I have co-workers who live in the Portland metro area and they really enjoy the lifestyle it provides -- they walk to local restaurants, occasionally bike to work, take the transit system to get downtown. I'm a suburbs gal myself, but if I were a city gal I would seriously consider a move to Portland.

Linney is online now   Reply With Quote