Join Early Retirement Today

The countdown begins
Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The countdown begins

I now have less than 10 working days left. My RE date is June 1. Co-workers have been bugging me about how many days, minutes or seconds I have left. I've told them they can put a number on my door every day but no-one has.

Not that I care, but would it be a breach of etiquite to put a big "9" up on Tuesday (Monday is a Cdn holiday) and reduce it by one each day?

WHAT WILL I DO ALL DAY?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The countdown begins
Old 05-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My brother had T-shirts made up, apparently with the number of days he had left on them. He got a laugh out of his staff.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
WHAT WILL I DO ALL DAY?
Anything you want and whenever you want without committee meetings to try to get a consensus instead of a decision!!!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
I now have less than 10 working days left. My RE date is June 1. Co-workers have been bugging me about how many days, minutes or seconds I have left. I've told them they can put a number on my door every day but no-one has.

Not that I care, but would it be a breach of etiquite to put a big "9" up on Tuesday (Monday is a Cdn holiday) and reduce it by one each day?

WHAT WILL I DO ALL DAY?
I did that.....but started somewhere around 386 (plus or minus a couple)! A lot of our contractors and engineers would make a trip back to my lab, just to check how many days I had left....they always got a kick out of it. The boss was usually about half p*ssed off about it, but didn't have the ba**s to tell me to knock it off....so I normally would change the number while he was in close proximity! If it hadn't p*ssed him off so much, I probably wouldn't have continued the practice.

The lowest I got to though was "4"....because I walked out a few days earlier than originally planned.....'cause I got fed up with all the bullsh*t!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
WHAT WILL I DO ALL DAY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
Anything you want and whenever you want without committee meetings to try to get a consensus instead of a decision!!!
The old crew tends to gather for beer at 4:30. I'm thinking of gathering the other RE's and showing up to gloat now and again.

I hate to admit it but my presense in meeting (for the last few months) was only physical.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I posted my highest blood pressure numbers on my cubicle as an inspiration.

<quote>WHAT WILL I DO ALL DAY? laugh</quote>

What ever you want.

They actually made me do some real (computer) work on Wednesday ( my checkout day was Thursday)(Friday was a holiday)
Old 05-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have had a countdown timer on my computer screen at work. At the time got closer I made the image larger. When people would ask I would proudly refer them to the screen. During this past week, I had it a max. font size.

When people asked me "so, what are you going to do all day?" My answer has been "Not Work!"

Hang in there. The finish line is close. The last week was the toughest to get through but you will get through it.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #8

During my working life a few of us had what we called the 4:30 meeting, beers after work where we plotted stategy vs evil upper management (we are/were middle). They have decided that the final 4:30 may last until the next day. I feel obliged to give them a reason to party, but I really don't want to stay. Can I puke on the floor and thus gain a reason to leave or do I have to grin and bear it?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
When people asked me "so, what are you going to do all day?" My answer has been "Not Work!"
Same here! Of course some would come back with, "No...really, what are you going to do?" I usually just shook my head and chuckled, then walked away. They just couldn't grasp that concept, the poor souls!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
Same here! Of course some would come back with, "No...really, what are you going to do?" I usually just shook my head and chuckled, then walked away. They just couldn't grasp that concept, the poor souls!
I agree, poor souls! I can't imagine being so short on dreams.

A few years ago my big brother was newly retired. He e-mailed me one day and asked me to compile a list of things that I wanted to do when I retired. In about an hour I made up a list of 20 or so pursuits, and he sent me a dozen or so of his own as well. That was interesting. We both wanted to work on a book, fiction in his case and non-fiction in mine. Playing the piano once again, trying my hand at painting (pictures), taking a few economics and finance classes, growing my own vegetables, volunteering (maybe to assist older seniors than me?), and completing a 10K run with a decent time are just a half dozen of the items on my list.

I saved my list to my computer desktop and have added and tweaked since then. If somebody asks me that question, they had better look out because I am armed!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
In about an hour I made up a list of 20 or so pursuits, and he sent me a dozen or so of his own as well.
Have either of you completed any of the items on your lists?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Have either of you completed any of the items on your lists?
I have made some attempts, but apparently I was successful in identifying retirement activities as such. Due to working I simply haven't been able to devote as much time to these activities as I would like. Any attempts I have been able to make were half-azzed and certainly nowhere near the level I have planned for retirement. Once I retire, I'll have more time to focus on these additional activities that I have planned to supplement my present leisure time activities. Activities such as getting fit, unwinding from work, and planning my retirement pretty thoroughly fill up the quantity of leisure time that I presently have available.

But then, that's the point of the list, isn't it? When making a list such as this, I think it's important to distinguish between those activities that you can reasonably attack NOW with the quantity of leisure time available while working, and other activities that you would not be able to fit in while working but may be able to add due to the additional leisure time that retirement affords.

As for my brother, he had several severe strokes and has gone from being the most intelligent person I have ever met, bar none, to being mentally and physically disabled. He tried to write his book, and sent me some rambling verbiage. It was heartbreaking.

Poor Bob. I have GOT to retire as soon as I can. You never know what life will bring.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #13

Quote:
A few years ago my big brother was newly retired. He e-mailed me one day and asked me to compile a list of things that I wanted to do when I retired. In about an hour I made up a list of 20 or so pursuits, and he sent me a dozen or so of his own as well. That was interesting. We both wanted to work on a book, fiction in his case and non-fiction in mine. Playing the piano once again, trying my hand at painting (pictures), taking a few economics and finance classes, growing my own vegetables, volunteering (maybe to assist older seniors than me?), and completing a 10K run with a decent time are just a half dozen of the items on my list.

I saved my list to my computer desktop and have added and tweaked since then. If somebody asks me that question, they had better look out because I am armed!
I started a list on a legal pad, somewhere near the end of December or the first part of January. I have about 3 or 4 pages. My only problem is that I've been so busy having fun, traveling, messing around in the yard and the garden, and other miscellaneous stuff.....I haven't had time to look and see if I've accomplished anything on my list!!!

Boy, I sure do miss having a j*b.............NOT!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I started a list on a legal pad, somewhere near the end of December or the first part of January. I have about 3 or 4 pages. My only problem is that I've been so busy having fun, traveling, messing around in the yard and the garden, and other miscellaneous stuff.....I haven't had time to look and see if I've accomplished anything on my list!!!

Boy, I sure do miss having a j*b.............NOT!!!
I am so glad!! As long as I am having fun in retirement, I don't plan to pull out my list, either. It's just in case I start thinking that I am bored.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
I am so glad!! As long as I am having fun in retirement, I don't plan to pull out my list, either. It's just in case I start thinking that I am bored.
Yep! That's why I made my list too. Almost ALL of the retirees that I know have had glowing reports of how great retirement life has been for them. But there was an occasional person that was bored to tears and wished that they had never retired, because there was nothing to do. I took sides with the happy campers......but did the list "just in case" the 'other guys' were right.....they WEREN'T!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yep! That's why I made my list too. Almost ALL of the retirees that I know have had glowing reports of how great retirement life has been for them. But there was an occasional person that was bored to tears and wished that they had never retired, because there was nothing to do. I took sides with the happy campers......but did the list "just in case" the 'other guys' were right.....they WEREN'T!!!
I am SO HAPPY for you!!! On Memorial Day weekend, I will have a long weekend and I plan to "play retired" all weekend. I can hardly wait. 8)

Old 05-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Our list is pretty short but meaningful to us.

In time we will forget about lists and just do things as they hit us. Lists? I don't need no stinking lists!
Old 05-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #18

Something will come up.

Today I made a plan. BIL died a month ago and a friend who lives at mile 800 of the Alaska highway just heard and called. Suggested I come fishing again (last trip was 9 years ago and awesome). My friend is RE due to MS but can get around and suggested a further trip to the midnight sun. I think I'm off to Inuvik and maybe Tuktoyaktik (spelling) to dip my toes in the Arctic ocean.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 AM   #19

Tuktoyaktuk.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:09 AM   #20

Two days left! I've taken all my personal stuff home, cleaned up all of my projects, spent a lot of time with my replacement and have 2 days to throw 22 years of accumulated crap out of my office.

Interesting things have happened. Had my 'exit interview' with HR a week ago. Interesting happenings since.

Background:
I have worked for what I call mega-corp 22 years. Maybe not really mega as corps go: $20B market cap but only 5K employees. I met current CEO as he was being shown around before he was hired 20 years ago, while I was working late. We've called each other by name since then, but are far from friends. CEO came up thru the sales side and has some ideas that are not 'HR progressive'.
Company has a strict dress code (jacket & tie for anyone who doesn't clean toilets) and no flex-time, job sharing or PT work.
I work in company's official headquarters in Canada, CEO lives in US city where our US office is located and works there. Shows up in our office occasionally.
Company has grown hugely over 20 years and I know all the old timers well, no matter what their location.

Exit Interview:
Mostly dumb HR questions, but the company was really good to me over the years. When asked 'what were the negatives of working here' I told them 'dress code' and 'flex time policy'. I thought HR wouldn't even record that answer since the company is run like the Kingdom of Id.

Today:
HR lady from US dropped in on me today. She is an old friend, nearing ER, and I thought it was purely social. Told me HR is preparing list of RE's who might work contract, PT or what ever, am I interested?
CEO dropped in later (not that unusual, likes to mingle with peasants). Asked me about my love of the dress code, pretended surprise. I really can't believe anyone in HR had the spheres to tell him some thing negative was reported. Anyway I told him this story (link doesn't go all the way anymore but scroll to my post): http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...u-27903-3.html

Question?
I always considered myself to be middle management although my boss reported to CEO. Did he really give a Sh$t. Not that I care, unless my leaving improves things for those who are left. Did I actually do some good for my co-workers who are left behind?