Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The downside of a cover story
Old 09-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The downside of a cover story

Nobody wants to hear that a 40 year old is retiring, plus I want to be able to crawl back into a job if the wheels come off the bus. As such, DW has pretty much made me develop a cover story, namely that I am taking a sabbatical and then working in DW's business and finding something entrepreneurial myself. I might well earn a few bucks here and there if its not too much hassle, but mostly I hope to be retired.

The downside of a cover story (aside from the fact that it irks me to have to have one) is starting to become apparent. My mother has started to suggest business opportunities, including goofy franchises. I am waiting to see who else comes up with great things for me to do (three friends and colleagues have independently suggested that I start managing money). Sigh...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nobody wants to hear that a 40 year old is retiring, plus I want to be able to crawl back into a job if the wheels come off the bus. As such, DW has pretty much made me develop a cover story, namely that I am taking a sabbatical and then working in DW's business and finding something entrepreneurial myself. I might well earn a few bucks here and there if its not too much hassle, but mostly I hope to be retired.

The downside of a cover story (aside from the fact that it irks me to have to have one) is starting to become apparent. My mother has started to suggest business opportunities, including goofy franchises. I am waiting to see who else comes up with great things for me to do (three friends and colleagues have independently suggested that I start managing money). Sigh...
Plastics, Brewer, plastics.

Ha
Old 09-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations.

Have you considered an Amway route?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Squirrel farming.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Squirrel farming.
I dunno about the farming part, but if DW ever allows me I might want to participate in this some day:

Home Page

- George Orwell

Old 09-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

If my Mamma traveled well, I would have entered her in that contest. She always cooked the heads too, something most people don't do these days. The little bit of meat on each cheek is the tenderest and best tasting on the whole squirrel. But of course, like with chicken, the legs are the easiest to eat.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, people keep trying to find me a real job and a new career...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it irks you to have a cover story, why bother? Why not just tell the truth?
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just tell them your DW added an FTE for general staff.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial analyst working internationally from home
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Your mother is probably worried about you. We mothers are like that. So be nice to her and think up a good, air-tight cover story. Whatever it is, tell her it has a 401K and that you have group health insurance either through that or through DW's job.

(Um.... I don't have any ideas!)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Your mother is probably worried about you. We mothers are like that. So be nice to her and think up a good, air-tight cover story. Whatever it is, tell her it has a 401K and that you have group health insurance either through that or through DW's job.

(Um.... I don't have any ideas!)
Actually, I don't think she is worried. Of her 4 kids, I have always been the most goal and success-oriented. I was married the youngest, the first to own a home, the only one with an MBA, and she knows I am the financial sophisticate (and advisor) of the family. I suspect that a lot of this is about not wanting to see "wasted potential."

- George Orwell

Old 09-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
If it irks you to have a cover story, why bother? Why not just tell the truth?
A) nobody wants to hear about a 40 year old retiring

B) DW can also be spelled SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)

- George Orwell

Old 09-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I suspect that a lot of this is about not wanting to see "wasted potential."
Well, you blew that by joining e-r.org!

JOKING!

You'll be fine, you seem a smart guy

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Video games. You haven't leveled up, but, have REALLY been meaning to.

No, seriously. People will think you're off your rocker if you play that hand, obviously.

The problem with a cover story is that you have to come back from that, or out do it, to save face, perhaps. Or you don't give a $hit about what they think (way more likely). It's turning "political" on you. The best thing, I think, is to find what you are most passionate about, and go head over heels into it. If you're an overachiever, you have to put yourself into SOMETHING. Otherwise, the wheels come off.

That's what I've found.

-CC
Old 09-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Make it 3 friends and an internet friend. Although would say that if you think is more work than it is worth to manage other peoples money. Then you have a very plausible cover story, I am an independent money manager with a small number of clients. Make sure that your wife gives you $20 or so or her IRA or something just so nobody you can accuse of being a liar.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Just say you are going to try freelance for a while. Making up a story and remembering who you told it to seems like a lot of trouble and drama. Enjoy Colorado.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Can't you just laugh behind your hand? That's what I'd do, but I'm not in your shoes. Also, my mother has long since passed away (I wish I still had her to laugh at and with).

Amethyst

Quote:
My mother has started to suggest business opportunities, including goofy franchises.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Just wondering if this "cover story" idea isn't your DW trying to let you know she isn't really comfortable with the the idea of you retiring completely. She realizes that you need a break and can't stay in your current workplace, but she might feel a little uncertain about very long terms results.Maybe you two will need to talk this over. One thing about being completely on board with FI and ER is that it shouldn't really matter what other people think.My Momma always used to tell me, that people think about you a lot less then you think they do!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Just wondering if this "cover story" idea isn't your DW trying to let you know she isn't really comfortable with the the idea of you retiring completely. She realizes that you need a break and can't stay in your current workplace, but she might feel a little uncertain about very long terms results.Maybe you two will need to talk this over. One thing about being completely on board with FI and ER is that it shouldn't really matter what other people think.My Momma always used to tell me, that people think about you a lot less then you think they do!
I could give a flying reproductive act (with 3 squirrels and a dolphin) about what other people think, generally speaking. DW, OTOH, is an extrovert and always seeks to get along. She isn't uncomfortable about this, so far as I can tell and we have been talking about it forever. Our plan has long been that between the two of us we will generate a certain amount of money every year for several years and DW's small business is already at that level. Whatever I come up with (if anything) will be gravy. When I firecalc'd our plan at current asset levels for 40 years I got a 99% success rate, which both of us are good with.

Perhaps she will be comfy with dropping the charade after a while. Or perhaps after I have some time to recharge (feel like crap after two weeks on the road) I will stumble into money management or some other venture. Or perhaps I will decide I want or need to go back to the salt mines (unlikely, but who knows, I am only 40).

- George Orwell