Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Every once in a while the title of this article comes up in our household conversations:
"Candy striper my ass!"

Sometimes the paid employees of non-profits aren't quite the caliber you'd expect. Other times there's a reason they're looking for a volunteer to do certain jobs... but hopefully this article is out of date.
Nope -- still true, at least for the larger organizations. They have their ways and they don't use volunteers to the best advantage -- I don't mean skill set, but mean that they don't train/supervise properly to get the best result.

-- Rita
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
I actually got "fired" from "volunteer" patrol/security duty I was doing for my community association. Apparently, the Chief of geezer patrol didn't like my "layed back" attitude, my refusal to wear their stupid hat, I wore a yankees cap instead
Sounds like grounds for termination to me.

(And no, I'm not a Red Sox fan!)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Nope -- still true, at least for the larger organizations. They have their ways and they don't use volunteers to the best advantage -- I don't mean skill set, but mean that they don't train/supervise properly to get the best result.

-- Rita
The article is still dead on unfortunately. Frankly, volunteering has been one of the few disappointments about retirement. While my arrogance level wasn't quite as absurd as some of the people in the article, I did hope to find some volunteer activity that was intellectually stimulating. After 10 years of half-heartily looking I have concluded that they are very hard to find. Volunteer jobs which utilize your unique skills require more dedication than I am willing to put in. Although they are out there.

I have volunteered with six different organizations and investigated a couple of others, but I am far from an expert in the field. Still in my experience the fundamental problem is that organization treat volunteers in generic fashion. For the most part organization have a few specific tasks for volunteers; pet, groom, fed animals; paint, put up dry wall; tutor adults/kids in reading; give guided tours; answer questions; perform administrative task; dispense food; sell thrift clothes etc. These tasks require no or minimal prior experience. Hence you often see high school students performing their required community activity, along side senior citizens with 50 years of experience in the field.

Now good organizations have formal training programs to ensure a uniform base level of knowledge or skill. While I did learn something in all of the training programs I have been in, it is not uncommon for a volunteer in training to have far more expertise than the teacher. This expertise is often not only not appreciated but in some cases viewed as a threat.

I have enjoyed the specific volunteer jobs I've done, which for the most part involve interacting with visitors and acting as a guide. However, the jobs become repetitious quickly and much of the enjoyment comes from interacting with fellow volunteers and the paid staff. There is very little opportunity for growth, or variety.

There are exceptions; I have seen situations where volunteers end up with a wide range of responsibilities. For instance at the aviation museum, volunteers are in charge of IT, fund raising, much of the historical research and aircraft restoration, in addition to the traditional roles as museum docents. The downside is when they have the volunteer appreciation ceremonies (I attended one last night) these dedicated folks put in 800-2000 hours a year, which is more like a 1/2 to full time job.

So we end up in a catch 22 situation. Organizations are understandably reluctant to entrust volunteers with positions of responsibility because they have no means of controlling them, you can't insist they the work overtime until the jobs is done because you can't fire them nor cut their pay! Nor is reasonable for volunteers to expect organization to entrust them with "strategic" responsibility simply on the strength of their resumes.
Hence, volunteers are required to start at the ground level as a candy stripper before gaining access to more interesting jobs. However, not many people are willing to devote more than one day a week to a candy stripper activity. I think this is why I see very few Baby Boomers as volunteers.

I have heard that in Silicon Valley some organizations have ended up turning things upside down and use volunteers for the interesting strategic jobs, and hiring people to stuff envelopes etc... I am not seeing that spread at least in Hawaii.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
-- Rita
Yes, some certainly do have "their ways". A sample of experiences...
Story 1 : This may be a small town effect, but I was actually not called back by a local senior center.
I wanted to hang out and play cards or checkers of chess or read books for visually impaired folks or shut-ins. They wanted me to answer telephones or use my car to take folks to appointments. I declined both and said call me if you change your mind. They never called. My guess is there is some sort of hierarchy and all new people get stuck on phone duty or it's nothing at all.
Story 2: So I went to the local VA clinic. I did volunteer driving for almost 2 years with the DAV. It was fun. The passengers (mostly guys) were great and wicked flirts with me.
But a huge fight broke out and escalated between the local office and the parent office over some nonsense. I tried to ignore it, but it was a big negative. It reminded me of w*rk. But I hung in there.
Then came the day when the AM driver made the run despite a forecast of lake effect snow and high wind warnings (up to 35 mph gusts). I did the PM run and was barely able to keep the van on the road. I walked every passenger (80 yr young guys with mobility issues) to their front door through 5 inches of snow and ice.
They were all worried I would get back OK. I did, but it was white knuckle all the way.
When I reported the situation, one of the schedulers told me he disagreed with my annotation on my trip log that the conditions were an extreme safety hazard to the passengers and driver. Um...hello ?
So I took the test of the year off. There is no shortfall of drivers. Until the schedulers take our safety seriously, I cannot in good conscience continue.
Story 3: Food bank. Started in January, going great. No drama.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #105
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great Reading

Came across this thread and is very timely now that I am 13 days from ER. I am having the nightmares about how to build a new routine after w*rking for so many years. I have talked with the wife about how I need to learn to relax and be content with not being constructively busy all the time. The notion of "being" instead of doing caught my eye.
I know it will take some time to adjust, but nervously looking forward to the future at this time.
Chalupadrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupadrop View Post
Came across this thread and is very timely now that I am 13 days from ER. I am having the nightmares about how to build a new routine after w*rking for so many years. I have talked with the wife about how I need to learn to relax and be content with not being constructively busy all the time. The notion of "being" instead of doing caught my eye.
I know it will take some time to adjust, but nervously looking forward to the future at this time.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-30655.html

Before ER, "What will we DO all day?!?" is one of the top three worries.

After ER, this rapidly sinks to the level of "Just exactly what the hell was I worried about?!?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-30655.html

Before ER, "What will we DO all day?!?" is one of the top three worries.

After ER, this rapidly sinks to the level of "Just exactly what the hell was I worried about?!?"
Yup, I still don't have enough hours in the day. Don't know how I managed to find all that time for work before.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I never had trouble figuring out what to do (other than chores) on Saturdays, when I was working. I do a lot of the same things now that I am retired, but now I have the whole week instead of just Saturdays.

I have been pretty busy. In fact, I just posted on another thread that I haven't even had time to watch a single DVD since retiring (though we have been to the movie theater two or three times). I haven't done any of the things on my "list of retirement activities", such as birdwatching, playing the piano again, taking classes, and so on. I just don't have time. I sleep late, enjoy Frank's company, post on the forum, read, and putter around the house. Life as a retiree is wonderful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Good post Nords.

It was very "Dude" like!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This Thread is more than 3433 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.
I’d just like to note that this post is over a decade old: or 3927 days, the "Old Thread Warning" notwithstanding.

Apparently the "Fog Of Work" post is the very definition of evergreen. Ever since I put it on The Military Guide, it’s persistently attracted its small share of traffic. Then every year or two, someone rediscovers it and sends it viral for a few days... and then it sinks back down to relative obscurity until the next time.

Here’s the latest comment from a blogger:
“We use this phrase often in our house to describe how unintentional we lived when we both worked full-time jobs. It is hard to make mental space for your priorities when your brain is occupied with work. A classic read to help expand your mind.”

Thanks for everyone who contributed to this-- you know who you are.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #111

Truly a well thought out post that is still relevant. I use the term when warming my kids about what could creep in once they get launched.
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #112

Nords, apparently the board's Subscribe to Thread function is equally evergreen. I received an e-mail despite making just one post in the last two years.

Why so quiet? Well, "the fog of work". Life has been very busy - but fulfilling - for this engineer working in Houston on Hurricane Harvey recovery projects.

The message "Nords has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - The 'fog of work' " brought a smile to my face as I thought back to when it was first posted 10 years ago. More than any other, it was the thread that motivated me to pursue FI in a serious, organized way.

Re-reading the old post today reminded me that "The ‘fog of work’ can continue for months, years, even decades. Maybe work is fun…But one day something clears the fog for a few minutes.”

Work is good - even fun - right now. My BS bucket is not full.

On the other side of the scale, I have hit all of my savings goals. In 21 days I can pull the ripcord any time I want and start drawing a pension. I am financially set.

My retirement is not going to happen this month - or maybe even next year - but I appreciate the timely reminder that it is up to me to pull my head out of the tactical situation, to stop hoping for the date to present itself and to look at the bigger picture to see where I can go.

Many thanks to you and all who contributed to this classic.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #113

Yep...It has been on my subscribe list all these years, too. One of the best.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #114

This is an amazingly timeless, insightful post.

Before I read this essay (for the first time) I had some concept of "the fog" but in a different concept, i.e. the fog of pain when going through the terminal illness/ deaths of a loved-ones and following 9/11 (due to our proximity to the towers).

It was an Ah-Ha, of course, when I read about "the fog of work". Working 6-7 days a week for years, long hours, high stress, skipping vacations altogether . . . No, I did not do optimal planning for retirement as a young person, did not really give it much thought, did not understand or research investing/ asset allocation (until much later in life), but thankfully always thought savings and avoiding debt was a good idea.

No longer young, but will have to learn how to be . . .
Old 11-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #115

I have read this many times. It really resonated with me. I have tried to explain the gist of it to a couple of people. Great post.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
Truly a well thought out post that is still relevant. I use the term when warming my kids about what could creep in once they get launched.
I still remember our conversation that got me started on writing it. You deserve a co-author byline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
The message "Nords has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - The 'fog of work' " brought a smile to my face as I thought back to when it was first posted 10 years ago. More than any other, it was the thread that motivated me to pursue FI in a serious, organized way.

Re-reading the old post today reminded me that "The ‘fog of work’ can continue for months, years, even decades. Maybe work is fun…But one day something clears the fog for a few minutes.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Yep...It has been on my subscribe list all these years, too. One of the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I have read this many times. It really resonated with me. I have tried to explain the gist of it to a couple of people. Great post.
You four have over a half-century of E-R.org poster experience, and you still remember the impact of it. That's the best part of the longevity of the post.

And Harry, I hope this is your last working hurricane season!

Old 11-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Ten Years!

heh heh heh - cary on.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #118

Quote:
I still remember our conversation that got me started on writing it. You deserve a co-author byline!

!

Nah. I couldn’t handle the fame lol
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote