Join Early Retirement Today

The Proverbial "Bucket List"
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Proverbial "Bucket List"

A reply to one of my other posts got me thinking about bucket lists. Do/did you have a one? For those who are already retired, do you find that you go back to the bucket list from time to time or is it lost in the wonder of the moment, each new moment? For those of you not retired, is it something written out or just in your head?

Here's mine.

A. Exercise/health
-----------------------------
1. Play volleyball
2. Coach volleyball
3. Yoga
4. Learn how to meditate
5. Get some form of exercise every day

B. Cooking
-------------------
1. Make every recipe in the French Laundry cookbook*
2. Learn how to make perfect bread
3. Learn how to make the perfect apple pie
4. Re-perfect Aunt Dixie’s Cowboy Cookies
5. Perfect pizza

C. Learning
-----------------
1. Learn more about Roman history
2. Learn about Greek mythology
-read “The Illiad”
3. Read “The Man Who Would Be King”, Kipling

D. Travel
--------------
1. Greece (incl. chartered boat, go to islands)
2. New Orleans
3. Africa
4. Yellowstone
5. The Rocky Mts.

E. Other
----------------
1. Have a major garden, grow almost everything eaten
2. Become a master gardener?
3. Create a new strain of flower?
4. Create a zen garden (flowers, greens, smells)
5. Play violin
6. Learn how to play guitar
7. See an NFL football game
8. Meals on Wheels?
9. Quit all of my bad habits
10. Drive, just once (not own), a 65 Corvette Stingray
11. Try paddle boarding
12. Go through every article of clothing and shoes, do a huge purge
13. Purge nightstand
14. Three words: Tre. Bu. Chet.

*Let the record show that I had this idea long before that "Julie and Julia" movie. . .
BizzyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have one which has been built up over a number of years. It began a number of years ago when I had to sit in the office all night on a Saturday proof reading documents for about the fifth weekend in a row. While waiting for the secretary (who was at least getting paid overtime) to turn the documents I started writing up a list of all the places I would rather be. It was a long list and travel still features a lot on the current version. Syria and Turkey currently occupy the top two places.

As an aside, wouldn't E9 on your list take all the fun out of retirement?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #3

To answer your questions I have never had a "bucket list" and do not intend to design one. It is something just in my head, as I happen to be pretty good with numbers (or at least better than with English grammar and spelling ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyC View Post
A reply to one of my other posts got me thinking about bucket lists. Do/did you have a one? For those who are already retired, do you find that you go back to the bucket list from time to time or is it lost in the wonder of the moment, each new moment? For those of you not retired, is it something written out or just in your head?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

You could try previous threads:
Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #5

No, never had a bucket list. Extensive travel was never high on my list of priorities - if I'd wanted to see the world I would've joined the Navy - but we do like shorter day or overnight trips.

Right now I'm just trying to get through the next two months and keep my sanity. I hate cold weather. This time of year I go outside to go to work and buy food. That's it.

When the weather warms up I'm going to get a helmet camera and take some photos/videos from the motorcycle, probably take another photography class, and get the boat in the water more often than I did last year.

Also on the list is to get to the Baltimore Railroad Museum again (Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum) and this time take a camera. I haven't been there for about ten years and want to see it again.

I guess that's sort of a bucket list, but it's kind of like using a trim tab to steer in that general direction rather than setting a hard-set rudder course.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am retired. A "Bucket List" just seems like way too much w*rk to me. Besides I don't have time for "plans"; life presents me with plenty of (arguably too many) challenges to choose from each day.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have one in my head, to attend every major sporting event (grand slam tennis and golf events, major sporting chanpionships, etc). Have done a few (US Open (tennis), Wimbledon, Daytona 500, Olympics, President's Cup (golf)) but more catch as catch can - I would hope to do it in a more structured way in retirement.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #8

I want to see my favorite NFL team (the Steelers) play a game in every NFL stadium, with plans to spend several extra days to explore whatever each of the cities has to offer. I think Cleveland might be a very short trip
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Right now I'm just trying to get through the next two months and keep my sanity. I hate cold weather. This time of year I go outside to go to work and buy food. That's it.
Same here. I am mentally counting down to March (when at least there is some HOPE of spring). Last year I really enjoyed Goonie's messages with the "# of days to spring" notations, especially during a particularly awful winter!

As for the Bucket List, I made an informal list of goals before I left megacorp, thinking that it might be nice to refer back to from time to time. What I do now is review the list and every year and select one or two items to focus on. This year I am focusing on being more goal-oriented with my workouts (been doing the same workout for years and I think it's time to change things up a bit) and to re-learn Spanish (took it in school years ago and really would like to be fluent again).

I have "become a Master Gardener" on my list, too. I am waiting for a good friend who will retire in a year and a half - I'd like to go through the program with her. The local program requires public service/presentations, etc. and I think it would be more fun to satisfy that requirement together with my friend.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #10

One in my head for not, but it does seem pretty wise to write it down. Maybe I should do that, too.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
I have one which has been built up over a number of years. It began a number of years ago when I had to sit in the office all night on a Saturday proof reading documents for about the fifth weekend in a row. While waiting for the secretary (who was at least getting paid overtime) to turn the documents I started writing up a list of all the places I would rather be. It was a long list and travel still features a lot on the current version. Syria and Turkey currently occupy the top two places.
Turkey looks breathtaking. I would love to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
As an aside, wouldn't E9 on your list take all the fun out of retirement?
Words of wisdom. . .
BizzyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

When I had about 8 years left before retirement, I made a list of things that I knew I would absolutely love to do, if I had the time in retirement. The idea was that I could pull out the list and pick one should I ever get bored.

I am in my second year of retirement, and haven't even looked at the list. Each day is so enjoyable and so far, I have not been bored at all. Life is a bowl of cherries.

It was nice to know that I had that list, though, on the day I retired. It's a little scary to leave w*rk for the last time, but the list was like a security blanket to ensure that I wouldn't regret my decision.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have done most of whatever I am going to do. My body and mind are deteriorating right on schedule. Just hope to find a small place to live with decent broadband and a housekeeper.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
To answer your questions I have never had a "bucket list" and do not intend to design one. It is something just in my head, as I happen to be pretty good with numbers (or at least better than with English grammar and spelling ).
Same here. Bucket lists sound like work .

But I do figure that we'll pass through tons of great retirement experiences -- just won't know what many of them will be til I get close to them.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

I never had a bucket list until last year when a good friend died and another was gravely ill . This made me realize that if I wanted to do something now was the time . The number one item on my list is take my grandson to Disney World and spoil the heck out of him . Number 2 is Alaska which I am doing in May .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I never had a bucket list until last year when a good friend died and another was gravely ill . This made me realize that if I wanted to do something now was the time . The number one item on my list is take my grandson to Disney World and spoil the heck out of him . Number 2 is Alaska which I am doing in May .
Alaska in May!! Looking forward to hearing about your trip. And how wonderful of you to take your grandson to Disney World Moe. He's a lucky little fella for sure

My bucket list? Live simple and find small ways to make the world just a bit better. Of course you know homeless animals will be involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peggy Sue.jpg (23.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

No bucket list here-- we're good. There are things we enjoy doing, but we're not going to force ourselves to do them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I want to see my favorite NFL team (the Steelers) play a game in every NFL stadium, with plans to spend several extra days to explore whatever each of the cities has to offer. I think Cleveland might be a very short trip
Especially when thefed reads this post!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Your bucket list had some good stuff on it.

Here's mine:

1. FIRE!
  2. Do what I want when I want
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've always had a bucket list though I didn't call it that. I posted it in an earlier thread, but I'm not sure why anyone would care about someone else's list. I've completed 69 milestones/experiences so far, many more to go, always adding to it - seems key to me, I'd hate to ever complete my list - then what?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... I'd hate to ever complete my list - then what?
I believe its called "Waiting for God."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote