Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
...You can always find a job once u failed as an entrepreneurs...
Finding one may be easy, but working it would not be.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:45 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Finding one may be easy, but working it would not be.
LOL! Even after being away from work for 1.2 years to be a student, I find returning to work difficult. It isn't the amount of work. Heck, I worked way more as a student because I was crazy enough to do my MBA, the CFA, the student council, and a big case competition all in the same year. However, I was never subject to other people's random BS because nobody had any pre-ordained positional power over anyone else. Leaders emerged of course, but leaders emerged because of their competence and people skills not because they happened to have landed on Plymouth Rock earlier than you.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
It doesn't seem like we have too many entrepreneurs that post. Am I wrong?
They are very busy with their grand master schemes.

I have tried to make some extra bucks a lot of ways any they all pretty much failed or are not worth the time.

My best bet, like it or not, is working for the man.

-Raymond
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone asked for good books for entrepreneurs:

E-Myth (the entrepreneur myth): When I read this book I almost cried because the business I had built immediately looked like a prison. Super long days, and not enough process oriented tasks... the business was destined for failure from the beginning because of lack of experience and poor goals from the outset. I thought I was a hotshot entrepreneur, but sadly that wasn't the case at all. Thankfully I learned these lessons early.

The E-Myth will really help you to see business in a new light as something you can create and release yourself from - an idea that I now hold dear to my heart. Basically unless you can step away from it at some point, you have created a job, not a business. Think about it.

4 Hour Work Week
Another great book that focuses on building processes and releasing yourself from your business. I have read this book 3 times now, and refer to it often. If you have read 'The world is flat' this is like a 'how to' version of that, targeted at your personal life - if you are an entrepreneur or employee you can benefit from the lessons in here.

I have started to implement some of the ideas in this book to my current venture, and though it has been a bit of a rough ride getting going, the business is now starting to pick up speed as more tasks become automated by my virtual team.

Good to Great

Build to Last

2 other great books which I haven't been able to get to just yet, but continue to be at the top of 'must read' business book lists posted all over the place.

Cheers guys

Mitch
Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I still don't get it, though.

The fact is, if you are working you are always a tool for someone else. Although an entrepreneur doesn't have a boss per se, he or she still has clients/customers (whose whims must be attended to).

Well, you're only truly your own master when you're not working.

Assuming equal expenses, an annual income of $80,000 would lead to FIRE sooner than $50,000. And fewer hours of work (35-40 per week) obviously provides increased leisure time in pre-retirement.
BUT, if you are a GOOD entrepreneur, you are working those 50 hrs/week to better your business which could/should take you to the 'next level'. Perhaps you gradually work less hours and/or make more money. If not, and you prefer the business to 'stagnate', it better be where you want it.

For example: over the last 2 years, I've had a 'self-sufficient' airduct cleaning company. I advertised the same for those 2 years, worked about the same hours, and netted a similar profit (although for 6 yrs straight I've increased net earnings by 10% or more). BUT, I was content with that as I grew my other businesses during those 2 years. It took me 4 yrs to get it to the point where I said.."Okay,self....this isn't bad. You can plan on about $50k net this yr,and plan on working about 400 hours...just by leaving everything on auto-pilot" That was wonderful while I started another company and groomed my real estated investments. Now, I am in the process of expanding to a different market area in an effort to increase profitability. But it's being done on MY schedule...not somebody else's.

Also, I beg to differ on only being my own master when I'm not working. My customers seek ME. They seek my services. I tell them what they will pay,and what I will do. If they agree, AND I LIKE THE SITUATION, I proceed. If not, I tell them to take a hike. Try that with your boss! I never put myself into a situation where the customer controls things...this is MY business and this is how it IS. Period. Sure, we sugar coat things for the picky people, but never are they in control...whether or not they know that. Sure, they can 'not' pay me...but the contract they signed before I began has resolved that issue 99% of the time...plus, we do what we agree to do...so that limits issues.

My guess is that you are an employee? nothing wrong with that.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #86

I deal with business owners as part my job talking design, contracts, etc., and even though I'm the customer, I don't presume for one moment if I behave like a pain in the ass, I won't get kicked out the door. It's because the owners know that I'm not their only customer. Your boss is your only customer. There is a difference.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
I deal with business owners as part my job talking design, contracts, etc., and even though I'm the customer, I don't presume for one moment if I behave like a pain in the ass, I won't get kicked out the door. It's because the owners know that I'm not their only customer. Your boss is your only customer. There is a difference.
Luckily, I've had mostly good clients in my business, but I've done it a few times.

Sometimes a client is a slow payer, too demanding, or just takes up too much of your time.

Any one of those traits could be cause for me telling them to go elsewhere. When they have all three, I give them the hard boot.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #88

Just gave a guy the 'hard boot' this evening.Felt great,although he didnt take it so well. Figure I'll be seeing him in court fo rmy $$ in about 60 days.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote