Join Early Retirement Today

Toyota v. Honda (and new v. used)?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Toyota v. Honda (and new v. used)?

Thus far I have kept up the family tradition of buying only used cars and driving them until they die. I have had a decent run with my mid-90s Toyota compact, but now the tally in my growing household stands at 4 (2 adults, 2 little kids) and we're in need of more space. Plus, the Toyota is showing its age as it approaches 200K miles.

So we're looking into minivans, basically narrowed it down to the Honda Odyssey or the Toyota Sienna. Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with either of these?

I haven't found the prices of used vehicles for these models to be very enticing, so for the first time in my life I'm contemplating buying a new car. It feels wrong. Talk me out of it!

(If past habits hold true, we'll probably hang onto this minivan for at least the next 10 years.)
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since the Japanese cars depreciate so slowly, especially Toyotas and Hondas, I could recommend buying them new. The discount for a used model just isn't enough in my opinion.

I would suggest the opposite for a domestic car if you have any interest there. They depreciate so fast that I would recommend buying a late-model used domestic car.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #3

Shop around, buying either one of these 2 cars new is not a bad thing. If buying American you are better off buying a 2 or 3 year old one but with the 2 you are wanting and the length of time you keep them I wouldn't worry, you can't go wrong.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Either is great. I'd go new also, no one else's cooties to worry about.

Ha
Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I had a couple Chrysler minivans before I got my 2006 Odyssey in 2007. I am a big Honda fan, I think the styling and handling are better than the Sienna, although both seem to have stepped their game up on the 2011s.

You can't go wrong with either one. I will say this, I have driven my neighbor's Sienna a couple times and although it is a little quieter than my Odyssey, the handling is floaty and numb, whereas my Odyssey drives like a CAR, but with the room of a minivan....YMMV.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
+1

I haven't had any experience with the Sienna or the Oddysey, but Toyota and Honda are both good brands. Go for a test drive or two, and buy whichever appeals to you. Have fun choosing your new minivan!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I'm sure people would pay extra for your second-hand cooties, Ha.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Since the Japanese cars depreciate so slowly, especially Toyotas and Hondas, I could recommend buying them new. The discount for a used model just isn't enough in my opinion.

I would suggest the opposite for a domestic car if you have any interest there. They depreciate so fast that I would recommend buying a late-model used domestic car.
Agreed. The "buy 1-2 years old" strategy still works to some degree for some makes, but Toyotas and Hondas depreciate in so close to a straight line that I'd prefer buying new there.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

you'll be fine either way. we ended up going with a nissan and have put a ton of miles on it with only brakes and one power window motor gone bad since 05 and 180k ish miles. and its peppy....but i think its ugly

stay away from domestic and you'll be fine imho
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #10

We had a 98 Accord and a 99 Camry. The Accord was a stiffer car. The Camry a much softer ride. Also the Camry's interior did not hold up as well as the Accord. Could be the Camry was parked outside, but the head liner was pulling loose, the visors were wrinkled, and the vinyl was pulling away around the door handles. Both cars were mechanically sound. We now own a Pilot and have had it for 3 years. Nothing but tires and oil change required.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #11

Have a '96 Honda Odyssey. Still going strong. Don't think you can go wrong with either brand, IMO.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #12

Luistan:

BE CAREFUL. I own a 2001 Odyssey. Bought new. 2000-2002 bad transmissions. Some owners have gone thru 3 already.

2003 + had recalls on transmissions.

Newer Odyssey's seemed to be Ok,

Check out this website: Very informative.

www.odyclub.com/index.htm

Quality of Honda's and Toyota's not what they used to be.

Friend bought a new Sienna a couple of years ago. Very dissappointed in the, I forget if she said the "sound level of the radio" or if it was the road noise in the van.....

Anyways, be careful of used Honda Odyssey. Handling is good. Major issue with Transmissions. (transmission problem also affected the accurra's for the same years).

Good luck...
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #13

I would go with the Toyota. We had a Honda with transmission problems at 120K. I think it's fairly uncommon but it left a bad taste. On the other hand, our 1999 Lexus is still going strong.

Buying new seems to make sense since both brands depreciate slowly. (This is a case of "do as I say, not as I do," since I have never bought a new car, either.)
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Toyota is not exactly having a great quality control time these days. In their fast pace to unseat GM, they have had several major recalls in the past couple of years. I think their race to be number one took somewhat of a toll on QC............

Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #15

If you are really planning on holding the vehicle for 10 years, I would go new. I am in the market for a new car this summer....used good cars of the Honda/Toyota/Subaru just aren't much cheaper than new.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #16

I bought a Honda Accord new in 2006 and haven't had to do much more than standard maintenance (oil changes, brakes, etc...) It's been a great car and well worth buying it new - both for the price I paid and the peace of mind.

Instead of limiting yourself just to Hondas and Toyotas, you might want to consider the new Hyundai Sonata:

Hyundai Sonata Review - Edmunds.com
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #17

We test drove both the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey before settling on the 2009 Odyssey (bought new).

The Honda Odyssey had more "pep" than the Sienna and was funner to drive (it is pretty quick for a mini van ). In addition, the Odyssey came with a sunroof (this was not an option on the Sienna; not sure why). Plus, I liked the body style of the Odyssey better than the Sienna.

I don't think you can go wrong with either; we just preferred how the Odyssey handled itself much better than the Sienna.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
I bought a Honda Accord new in 2006 and haven't had to do much more than standard maintenance (oil changes, brakes, etc...) It's been a great car and well worth buying it new - both for the price I paid and the peace of mind.

Instead of limiting yourself just to Hondas and Toyotas, you might want to consider the new Hyundai Sonata:

Hyundai Sonata Review - Edmunds.com
I think OP wants a minivan, maybe an Entourage?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #19

Not quite answering your question, but thought I offer an alternative. You could save quite a bit on the purchase price if willing to consider a 2005-2007 Ford Freestar with low miles. Not as up to date as the Toyota/Honda but can be had for a good price. Just did a quick check on cars.com (Boston area )and saw a 2005 Limited version with 36K miles for $14K. May not be as reliable as T/H (hint: change tranny fluid every 30K per owner's manual) but you'd save a bundle up front. I've got two of these vans. Though may have to look at replacing in 5 years or so rather than 10.
Agree with other posters that if I was looking for Sienna/Odyssey I'd buy new. I've been leery of Chrysler QC to consider one of their vans, know too many folks that have had troublesome Chrysler vans.

Good luck on your search.

RE2Boys
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We own a 2005 Toyota Sienna. And it has a sunroof (I don't know why Calgary Girl could not get the Sienna with sunroof).
We had 1 issue so far: the stereo display would act up (not readable). It seems to reset when the car is turned off. This happened a few years ago and seems to be self-correcting? No problems within the last 2 years. Maybe they fixed it at the dealership when I had it there for oil change. I don't remember.
2good is offline   Reply With Quote