Join Early Retirement Today

Transfer money back into 401k?
Old 06-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

So I had this thought this morning. Went looking on the internet and did not see what I was looking for. Maybe someone here in the forum knows.

So… my goal is to retire at 55. And to avoid penalties where I can for early withdrawals. I should have enough personal contributions in my Roth 401k at my current employer, that when I retire, I can move that money over to my Roth IRA, and combine that with my personal contributions there, to easily have enough to make it to 59.5 when all the penalty “chains” come off.

But then I got to thinking, I actually have a large amount of money in my Traditional IRA. Could I not transfer this money back into a traditional 401k at my current employer and then apply the rule of 55 to get to it without penalty when I retire?

Just a thought I was having. Always nice to have more options when the time comes. Not sure if you are allowed to do this?
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need to check with your plan administrator. Legally it can be done, but your plan may or may not permit it.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
You need to check with your plan administrator. Legally it can be done, but your plan may or may not permit it.
+1

armor99, there are two things the IRS allows but your plan may not:
1) accepting an incoming rollover from your IRA
2) allowing partial withdrawals from the 401k after you retire
SevenUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
+1

armor99, there are two things the IRS allows but your plan may not:
1) accepting an incoming rollover from your IRA
2) allowing partial withdrawals from the 401k after you retire

I got on their website… seems like they do. It is listed as a “conduit IRA” thst they will accept? I am assuming that means I can do this. Will find out more next week…
Old 06-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor99 View Post
I got on their website… seems like they do. It is listed as a “conduit IRA” thst they will accept? I am assuming that means I can do this. Will find out more next week…

A “Conduit IRA” means the funds in the tIRA originated from an employer sponsored retirement account. Did the funds in your tIRA come from a 401k?
Old 06-27-2021, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
A “Conduit IRA” means the funds in the tIRA originated from an employer sponsored retirement account. Did the funds in your tIRA come from a 401k?

A lot of it did, plus contributions of mine for years…
Old 06-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A lot of it did, plus contributions of mine for years…

Since you’ve mixed funds, check with the plan administrator. Hopefully they’ll accept the funds you transferred out at a minimum.
Old 06-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

OP, I transferred my tIRA back into my Fido work 401K. My work plan allowed it. I did a direct transfer of the fund where the check got sent directly to my 401K plan. I recalled having to answer some question in some online form and stating that my ira was a conduit ira. That was good enough for my 401k plan to take in the $. Pretty painless. Good luck
ut2sua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut2sua View Post
OP, I transferred my tIRA back into my Fido work 401K. My work plan allowed it. I did a direct transfer of the fund where the check got sent directly to my 401K plan. I recalled having to answer some question in some online form and stating that my ira was a conduit ira. That was good enough for my 401k plan to take in the $. Pretty painless. Good luck

Well thanks much for the info. Not something I will do now, but probably down the road maybe 6 months before retirement.. For someone that reasearches this stuff as much as I do, I cannot believe this maneuver did not occur to me sooner… [emoji3]
Old 06-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Well thanks much for the info. Not something I will do now, but probably down the road maybe 6 months before retirement.. For someone that reasearches this stuff as much as I do, I cannot believe this maneuver did not occur to me sooner… [emoji3]

For whomever might find the info useful. So you can in fact do this. And my 401k plan allows this. They did mention there is some complication of some of the IRA is made up of personal contributions. In my case it is 100% rollover from former companies 401k plans.
So basically what this means for anyone out there that has money in their IRA. You can move all of that money back to your company 401k, (provided your companies allows this), and have access to all of it at 55, no early withdrawal fees at all! Nice…