Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Wharton: "Giving Employees What They Want: The Returns Are Huge "
Old 12-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Wharton: "Giving Employees What They Want: The Returns Are Huge "

Here's stunning news, unless you happen to be in General Motors' management-- happy employees do better work.

"... far too many managers stifle employee enthusiasm across the board by using bureaucratic or punitive techniques that should be reserved for a troublesome few. Yet [author Sirota] finds that firms where employee morale is high -- such as Intuit and Barron's -- tend to outperform competitors. The authors' research is based on the results of 2.5 million employee surveys taken since 1994."

Judging from their stock performance and their customer service, I think he needs to take another look at Intuit!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wharton: "Giving Employees What They Want: The Returns Are Huge "
Old 12-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, thanks for the information! I live in Philly, and I didn't even know that Wharton offers such a wealth of information for free.

BTW, I wish I can afford to take two years off to go to Wharton, but Philly is a very expensive city to live in, and Wharton's tuition is heart-stoppingly expensive, but you do get what you pay for though. The facilities are first rate. The study rooms for business students are better than the meeting rooms at my workplace.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Their degree is 'bankable'. Borrow the $ if necessary. Anyone who can get in and graduate should have a very good return on their education costs.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:10 PM   #4

My colleague took two years off to get his MBA from U of Michigan. He said that the return on investment was great.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Go to Costco and talk to employee, then do the same at Sams Club. Costco is one of the most employee friendly companies, while Sams, as part of walmart, allegedly gets about the worst.

Never worked at either or known anyone that worked at either.

My impression of the Costco employee is that they seem to be reasonable people with a brain in their head that try to be as helpful as possible. My impression of the Sams employee is a marginally employable person who couldnt give a #$%$#$.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have a nephew who works at a Costco tire shop, he sings their praises and loves to give world class customer service. Their employee training program is outstanding.

Contrast that with the employee relations practices of rail roads (BN. SP are brother and cousin's former employers) where employees and managers play head games with each other and customer service happens only in the course of other events.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Go to Costco and talk to employee, then do the same at Sams Club. Costco is one of the most employee friendly companies, while Sams, as part of walmart, allegedly gets about the worst.

Never worked at either or known anyone that worked at either.

My impression of the Costco employee is that they seem to be reasonable people with a brain in their head that try to be as helpful as possible. My impression of the Sams employee is a marginally employable person who couldnt give a #$%$#$.
I got the same impression. People at Costco seems nicer. I also like Costco's store layout. Its isles are wider than those of Sam's club.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Only thing Sams has over Costco is that Sams sells their own returns and closeouts; Costco sells theirs for salvage. I get a lot of good Sams Club closeout deals. This week they have fresh turkeys for 38c a lb and very nice 1lb boxed chocolates for $4.50 a pop.

If they put any more televisions on closeout i'm gonna go broke though.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Their degree is 'bankable'. Borrow the $ if necessary. Anyone who can get in and graduate should have a very good return on their education costs.
The thing is I already have an M.S. from the University of Michigan. I don't want to go back and do the same thing again 10 years later.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote