Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What do working stiffs do for extra income?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a fishing boat for my girlfriend.

Pretty good trade, huh...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

well, I work a 9-5 in finance.

Then I go work on the rehab I jus tbought (soon to be a rentsl. The next rehab should be in my hands within a month or 2)

I also started an air duct cleasning business 5 months ago. IT's rolling smoothly enough to bring me in 1200-1500/month with NO overhead except labor at 50/job. $1200 is about 3 jobs. I havent advertised in2 months

I also sell air filters on ebay....make about 300/month
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
well, I work a 9-5 in finance.

Then I go work on the rehab I jus tbought (soon to be a rentsl. The next rehab should be in my hands within a month or 2)

I also started an air duct cleasning business 5 months ago. IT's rolling smoothly enough to bring me in 1200-1500/month with NO overhead except labor at 50/job. $1200 is about 3 jobs. I havent advertised in2 months

I also sell air filters on ebay....make about 300/month
What kind of air filters? $300 in profit each month? Here's what I don't get about Ebay...how can someone possibly sell something for less on Ebay than say Walmart can in their stores as they would get such a huge discount for purchasing in bulk. I"m just curious as I know one guy who quit his full time job to sell pro sports jerseys on Ebay and he makes over 100K a year doing this. He gets his stuff from Asia for dirt cheap.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
I also started an air duct cleasning business 5 months ago.* IT's rolling smoothly enough to bring me in 1200-1500/month with NO overhead except labor at 50/job. $1200 is about 3 jobs. I havent advertised in2* months
You ARE fully bonded, insured, and licensed by the state, right? Haha, just kidding.

But seriously, why didn't you post about your other previous part-time career?

Quote:
HS DIPLOMA 3.55 gpa
Marijuana Farmer
Free pot
OHIO
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks
What kind of air filters?* $300 in profit each month?* *Here's what I don't get about Ebay...how can someone possibly sell something for less on Ebay than say Walmart can in their stores as they would get such a huge discount for purchasing in bulk.* I"m just curious as I know one guy who quit his full time job to sell pro sports jerseys on Ebay and he makes over 100K a year doing this.* He gets his stuff from Asia for dirt cheap.
I believe P.T. Barnum had something to say about that... :P

Old 05-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #26

Buy the unlicensed sports jerseys from China for $3 a pop. Sell 6 a day on Ebay for $55 each. Net $45 after expenses per sale. $100,000/yr profit.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:41 AM   #27

I actually putter on Ebay for fun. I love yard sales and fleamarkets and nothing tickles me more than to buy something for 25 cents and have it sell on Ebay for $30 to $50. Since I'm still working and my time is limited I do it to off set my Ebay purchases. I use a separate checking account for Paypal and was quite surprised to find that my balance would cover our vacation to FL for two weeks this past winter.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 07:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Buy the unlicensed sports jerseys from China for $3 a pop.* Sell 6 a day on Ebay for $55 each.* Net $45 after expenses per sale.* $100,000/yr profit.
Does this include the cost of the civil suit...

Old 05-03-2006, 07:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Does this include the cost of the civil suit...
Nope. Just saying how easy it would be to make $100,000. Just a little bit illegally.

I'd never do it though, due to the potential civil and criminal liability.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountingsucks
Here's what I don't get about Ebay...how can someone possibly sell something for less on Ebay than say Walmart can in their stores as they would get such a huge discount for purchasing in bulk.
How about:
- no bricks or bulk-shipping logistics
- no employees
- no healthcare, workman's comp, or insurance
- no sweatshop monitoring oversight
- no serious effort to collect state or federal taxes
- free storage in your garage
- buyer pays your shipping charges
- no "big box" stigma

I know plenty of woodworkers & other crafters who've extended their local advertising to eBay at no additional expense... and in many cases cheaper than a local newspaper ad.

A Navy Reserve friend in his 50s got bored accompanying his spouse to garage sales one day. He noticed that barely-used kid's clothing (newborns-age 5) was selling for 25 cents an article, and he started researching eBay sales. Today his spouse is the one tapping her foot while he loads the car, and he nets $25K/year buying with one hand and selling with the other.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
You ARE fully bonded, insured, and licensed by the state, right? Haha, just kidding.

But seriously, why didn't you post about your other previous part-time career?
I have 2 mil liabilty insurance, and there's no bonding or licensing requiremnt for my line of work in my sate or county.

And FYI my mini farm has been shut down. I now have a child to care for, and that's not the best environment.
Thats why i didnt post it. It was fun run though, i must say. Made about 300/day for the last few months...PROFIT

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

thefed, you might consider deleting your last post.
You never know who is watching.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:37 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

"Clean this mess up else we'll all end up in jail. Those test tubes and the scales, just get it all out of here..." Steely Dan

Old 05-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

And don't forget to pay the grass tax.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a topic I've really debated.* I've considered working an additional part-time job to pad the savings that much more, but I guess I feel like it doesn't make sense to work more when the whole goal of my life is to work less ( at least in cubeville ) .* I have a coworker I somewhat envy who was, at one point, working 3 part-time jobs in addition to a full-time job.* Basically, he did it for employee discounts to buy one-time big-ticket items like home theater and a telescope.* If only I didn't like my free time so much...
dunc0029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I am constantly amazed at the opportunites for making money without trying very hard.

I've mentioned my friend who collects old computers. You wouldn't think there's much opportunity for a computer collector to make money, but he's turned his hobby into a business by renting machines out as movie props, prior art for IP cases, etc.

I just sold my house to a mountain climber. This guy managed to parlay his love of mountain climbing into lucrative sponsorships and speaking gigs.

Do what you love, and the money will follow. Worst case, you'll be doing what you love.

I used to like bicycle racing a lot. I thought about turning pro until some no-talent cowboy named Lance Armstrong showed up on the scene.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #37

There have been a lot of little side businesses I've considered, but when you're working as a software engineer the amount you could earn from them seems pretty small and not worthwhile

But now that I'm doing the ER thing, I am getting psyched up to try some of these kinds of businesses out. I particularly like the idea of finding small niches that are underserved, and selling expensive products there. The key to doing this seems to be keeping your overhead small so that if someone bigger and more efficient finds the niche and starts competing you can just close up and move on to something else.

One of the niches I'm considering is making a particular thing (won't tell you what) to well heeled amateur photographers. There are already many low quality versions of this product but none high quality enough to meet the prosumer's desires.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:36 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw this programme about a House wife who set up a cam corder and made a lot of money stripping for guys??
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I love boating (but hate the expense) so we are working on this plan.

BURIALS AT SEA!
We can depreciate the boat and write off the boat expenses. We are in the max tax bracket so the tax savings could be substantial - even if we don't have much business.

We would offer ashes scattered on the Gulf of Mexico - or a full Pirate funeral with a plank that the deceased slides off into the Gulf. My wife does not like the idea of the pirate funeral - but it is nice to offer options.

scubamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamonkey
My wife and I love boating (but hate the expense) so we are working on this plan.

BURIALS AT SEA!
Interesting idea. I would assume that there wouldn't be a huge market for this, but probably some people would be interested.

However.....if I were the IRS, I would be very curious about your 'business' and depreciation. If you only had a few clients per year, how would you explain to the IRS why there are 1,000 hours on your boat's motors?