Join Early Retirement Today

What do you desire?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do you desire?

Was curious to hear people's opinion of this short 3 minute video.

The message is a great one.

Makes me appreciate that I do something I love... and [luckily] get paid well for doing it. I'm not gonna lie, if money were no object I'd probably do something slightly different (many things to be exact), but on the happiness scale with 10 being I'd do it for free... my job is a 9
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Interesting philosophy...
If I were a younger person, this might have applied, and been good advice.
Now that I'm a wee bit older, perhaps not so much.

Coincidental with watching the clip, I just came from article that offered a slightly different bit of philosophy that is now more appealing to me... I kinda like being just "ordinary".

charles hugh smith-The Benefits of Being Ordinary

A small excerpt from a larger blog that hit a nerve...

Quote:
Now for the benefits of being ordinary. The temptations to
stray are few for the ordinary; those of us with ordinary
looks, brains, talent and wealth are not beset with the
temptations of impossibly beautiful women/handsome men, nor do
dealers approach us with offers of cocaine or other costly
illegal substances. No one is willing to give themselves to us
for access to our power, because we have no power beyond that
residing in our bodies and souls.

Lacking power and prestige, we are not tempted to lie to
protect our power and prestige.
Since everything we own is also ordinary, there isn't much
worth stealing (except if we own older-model Japanese cars
that are worth more in parts than as whole vehicles), so
ordinary security measures are sufficient.
As ordinary people, nobody expects extraordinary results or
behaviors from us. Expectations of us are also ordinary, which
means that good work and politeness will go a long way to meet
or exceed expectations.
l
The piece also deals with the burdens of being extraordinary.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's the kind of message that truly resonates with me. Still, money is an inevitable medium of life. Blessed are those who can find a lucrative career they are truly passionate about.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not always practical for everyone to do exactly what they want for a career, but they can always spend their time away from work doing what they like. I do think that it's important to spend at least some of your time doing something you love.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #5

The real problem is, most are driven by our consumerism based society, keeping up with and out doing the Joneses, the goal to acquire and have stuff. It has been ingrained in our DNA almost from the day we are born. Unfortunately it makes for much unhappiness and frustration for many. It took me the better part of 60 years to realize, stuff ain't important. Doing what you like and enjoying family and friends is what life is all about. At least in my way of thinking.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think he is completely right, but he is never going to persuade anybody of that.

If one chooses a particular line of work because they love it and have a passion for it - - and then in reality it doesn't turn out to provide a wonderful day-to-day experience that they love as well, they have to shoulder the responsibility themselves rather than passing it off onto the evil realities of life. But if one doesn't pursue one's passion, one will never know what could have been.

Many of us can cite ways in which our occupations had an undesirable side that we didn't foresee. In my case, I worked for a while as a research scientist, and found that it is most definitely NOT all intellectual stimulation and creativity, and that even with a research assistant to help, there is plenty of repetition and tedium to go around, as well. It also isn't the most lucrative use of engineering and science degrees. But how would I have known all of this had I not followed my passions and interests in career choice?

I am sure there are many other stories of the reality of certain occupations that sound better than they live.

We only live ONCE, and I suspect one of the worst ways to live one's life is in regret for what could have been.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #7

And now for something totally different.

Naval gazers like this guy annoy the hell out of me. Who is he to tell people they shouldn't have a 9-5 office job? Paying the bills is 90% of living a comfortable life, forget retirement. What if we all ran away and joined the circus or were Peter Pan. What BS.

I did the opposite of everything he said and I am perfectly happy with how my life was and is in retirement. I have no desire to scale mountains, swim with sharks, para glide into a cavern in some hellhole of a jungle or any of the other dangerous video displayed. I went through life following the schedule and calendar doing the non exciting boring things he has such disdain for and I turned out just fine thank you very much. I have no desire for adventure, I desired security that a well paying job with benefits provided. I put in my time and would not change it if it could be replayed.

Naval gazers and their inability to conform.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Wonder what the guy posing the question is doing for a living and who is paying him?

He is advocating living the wet dream. Reaility has way of intruding, like food, shelter and other diddly stuff.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Reaility has way of intruding, like food, shelter and other diddly stuff.
What? You mean they're supposed to take responsibility for their own support? Sacrilege!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Well, there are all kinds here at ER.org aren't there...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #11

Not so long ago, you worked or you starved. Work might not have looked so bad then.

I have always tried to make my life what I wanted it to be. I don't see why anyone would "settle" for anything less.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Not so long ago, you worked or you starved. Work might not have looked so bad then.

I have always tried to make my life what I wanted it to be. I don't see why anyone would "settle" for anything less.
+1

The only score that matters is the one I keep...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

He kinda glossed over the point where you have to do a bunch of things that you don't like to do in order to get to the part you like to do.

If "money was no object" when I was working, then I would have spent all of my workday doing the things I enjoyed... and paying someone else to go to department head meetings for me.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
Was curious to hear people's opinion of this short 3 minute video.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
The message is a great one.
IMO, the message is a stupid one, and dangerous to boot. What I particularly dislike is the all Black & White view - that's not helpful. According to the speaker, you either do something you love (and magically, money will follow, life will be grand), or you follow the money and end up hating your life? Let's not forget that many of those 'dream careers' can't be done once the body gets a bit older.

No in between? Like maybe getting an education and having an career in engineering? That provided a pretty good income, and I found it interesting and challenging. I think that was a better decision for me than 'following my dream' of being a rock star. Even if I gave it my all, what were the chances I would really enjoy my life? Chances would be high that the best I would do is play dreary little clubs and always be struggling to meet the rent. Fun. Better for me to keep music as a hobby, that I can pay for from my in-demand, reasonably paying day job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
And now for something totally different.

Naval gazers like this guy annoy the hell out of me. Who is he to tell people they shouldn't have a 9-5 office job? Paying the bills is 90% of living a comfortable life, forget retirement. What if we all ran away and joined the circus or were Peter Pan. What BS.

... I went through life following the schedule and calendar doing the non exciting boring things he has such disdain for and I turned out just fine thank you very much. I have no desire for adventure, I desired security that a well paying job with benefits provided. I put in my time and would not change it if it could be replayed.

Naval gazers and their inability to conform.

You forgot to criticize the awful, mushy, obnoxiously 'pretty' music in the background, that seems to be 'de rigueur' for these 'navel gazing' videos!

Hey, the OP asked! And yes, I seriously hated it! But thanks for posting! It's interesting to see what turns other people on.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think that was a better decision for me than 'following my dream' of being a rock star. Even if I gave it my all, what were the chances I would really enjoy my life? Chances would be high that the best I would do is play dreary little clubs and always be struggling to meet the rent. Fun. Better for me to keep music as a hobby, that I can pay for from my in-demand, reasonably paying day job.

-ERD50
Count your blessings, if you made it big you may have joined the 27 Club. Besides who needs all those groupies!

27 Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #16

Simplistic nonsense that is typical of 60's counter-culture. Tune in, turn on, drop out ... etc.

I agree with Nords.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Who is he to tell people they shouldn't have a 9-5 office job? Paying the bills is 90% of living a comfortable life, forget retirement. What if we all ran away and joined the circus or were Peter Pan. What BS.
Exactly...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Is the messenger dead yet? Jeeeeeez...

Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Is the messenger dead yet? Jeeeeeez...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...