Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Minimum wage out of high school was $1.25/hour. Big bucks was $2.18/hour on the green chain at a Weyerhaeuser lumber mill. Boeing paid 8k/yr for newly minted engineers back in the day.

All praise to time in the market not market timing. And of course ST. Jack and 'Bogle's Folly'.

heh heh heh - love dryer sheets and Yorkshiremen! Got a Monty Python Tee shirt at a thrift sale the other day.

What I find incredible is the wages that were available back in the day for union teen hires. While I was making my $2.30 an hour, teenagers who got hired at the local brick refractories were making $10 an hour back in the late 70s for summer help. Many people 30 years later still cant get a job that pays that much. Of course those local plants are long closed and moved overseas or below the border.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:41 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Enterprise business to business software sales.
Vagabond2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial planning, then pension consulting. Great to have your hobby as your job!
Pbkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not yet...

My starting wage was $1/hr.

Now, bring them on!
0.50 an hour sanding sheetrock for my father. ( Good money for a 10 year old.)
Now the Yorkshiremen can come out.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #185
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had some pretty poor paying jobs also

Worked my way through high school as a corn de-tassler and Target store retailer. Worked my way through undergrad putting in piers one summer (yuck), McDonalds, YMCA camp counselor, and bartender.
Became a teacher in the 1980's, earned two Master's Degrees in the 90's and 2000's. Been a school principal for a while and am planning on retiring after this school year.
Having some not-so-great jobs as a youth truly motivated me to get a good education. I regret none of it (well, maybe pier installing).
erkevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #186
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post

We're in our early 40s but we're concentrating on the FI rather than the RE. I've got plenty of flexibility working for myself so I don't see much changing when I retire.
I love this idea and it's how I've been thinking about our savings. DH and I have jobs we love; I'd be hard-pressed to quit because it brings so much pleasure to me. But I'm not averse to being FI, so that's what we are working toward.

We are 41/42. DH is a software engineer in the embedded systems field and has worked for the same company since graduating from grad school.

I work 2 part-time jobs: I am a regulator (health inspector) for our county, and I also teach at our local community college, in the culinary arts department. I love the teaching job so much I'd probably do it for free. It's the best job I've ever had and I can't imagine how it could ever be better than it is.

We have 2 school-age children (hello, PTA & Girl Scout & Cub Scout & AYSO volunteer jobs, plus I'm president of the HOA at our rental property, which I manage as well).

We save about 45% of our take-home pay in retirement and home-equity. We save another 2% or so in college and emergency accounts. This comes out to about 32% of our gross income.

My goal this year is to get our after-tax savings rate to 50% or higher. Since I just came up with this goal we won't make it this year, but we will in 2016.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

Air traffic controller for the Federal Aviation Admin. Did ATC for about 4 years in the USAF and got out and was immediately selected into the FAA. Gross about $82,000/yr now with shift differentials but accepting a transfer soon closer to family at a much larger airport. Should start around $137k with differentials after certification.

Pension eligible at age 50. Mandatory separation at age 56. Will begin maxing the TSP once I make the move. For now I contribute to the match, and pay into the pension plan.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Computer guy. No side jobs. No bonuses. Savings rate this year was over 80% of non-taxed income.
orangehairfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Guy View Post
Air traffic controller for the Federal Aviation Admin. Did ATC for about 4 years in the USAF and got out and was immediately selected into the FAA. Gross about $82,000/yr now with shift differentials but accepting a transfer soon closer to family at a much larger airport. Should start around $137k with differentials after certification.

Pension eligible at age 50. Mandatory separation at age 56. Will begin maxing the TSP once I make the move. For now I contribute to the match, and pay into the pension plan.
ATC Guy, as a pilot using flight following, I just want to thank you for all that and your coworkers have done for us. I fly missions for Angel Flight and you people are a great help.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #190

I spent 50 Years in aerospace. i was a field engineer all over the world, a Project Engineer, a Program Manager, and a Contract Administrator.
I have dealt with Boeing, Airbus,Cessna, Raytheon, and many other manufacturers.
I am now retired, and fly for Angel Flight, Civil Air Patrol, and Pilots & Paws.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #191

DW and I are mid 50's. She just stopped working. I still work as a chemical engineer for a paint co. My job is to support our customers' industrial paint systems. I have about 1.5 years to RE, but am really FI now. I currently save about 20% of my pay, but in past years that has been as high as 30%. Also was in the market over some very good periods. We could save more, but just don't need to. We are enjoying a lot of travel and some home improvement with the $ instead.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #192

Not counting jobs before college, AF Pilot, Commercial/Residential Real Estate Appraiser (independent, and manager for bank department), MIS director, retired.

Participated in each retirement systems. However, the military was key. Not only do you participate is SS, the pension is COLA'd, and healthcare for life. For the most part job security, I know, nothing guaranteed, but it allows you to save more. Our emergency fund evolved into our retirement funds. You grow rich slowly.

LBYM, fund pension/saving plans, enjoy life!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #193

DW and I have spent our 23 year careers to date as a lobbyist for conservation nonprofits and government (her) and a fundraiser for conservation nonprofits and higher education (me). No kids. 50 now and we'll FIRE in 5-9 years, if plans go right. We've been saving well all the way and last year socked away about $60,000 aiming for $75,000 this year since we added makeup provisions, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #194
Confused about dryer sheets

My partner and I have semi retired by selling our property and teaching English online, after a year working in China. We invested the money from our property but it is not nearly enough to support us through full retirement.

We now work 15 hours a week each (through choice) and earn 2000 UK pounds between us. I don't mind telling you what we earn - it may seem a very small amount to some but it works for the lifestyle we currently want to live.

We house sit long term which keeps our living costs to a minimum. Right now we are looking after a luxury six bed house with pool in the Alpine region north of Melbourne, Australia and next month we'll be looking after a beach side property in Fiji. So the travel side of our life now fully meets our original expectations. (not all house sits are this luxurious!!)

While supporting ourselves in this way we are trying to figure out a way to make more money online for the future - that's the harder bit! Like many others I think, we have been through a number of courses to develop our skills and it's a slow process.

But we have any amazing freedom lifestyle and have plenty of time now to brainstorm and tryout ideas. The teaching does provide a great way to supplement our income and we can decide exactly when and what hours we want to work.
vanessaanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #195

You have a very cool, adventurous and unique lifestyle Vanessaanderson. Hats off!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #196
Dryer sheet wannabe

Anesthesiologist

Former grocery bagger, bone marrow donor, lawn mower, etc...

I've attained FI, will consider RE when I have 50x expenses in the nest egg, 5x expenses in the DAF.
PoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #197
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoF View Post
Anesthesiologist
Interesting. I was also a professional gas-passer:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KC-135_refueling.jpg (52.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting. I was also a professional gas-passer:

I got the opportunity to ride along on one of those once to watch that happen off the coast of Korea, was great!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #199
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely nothing for the last 22 years of ER.

I really really do not understand how 'doing nothing in particular' can have been so busy.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I really really do not understand how 'doing nothing in particular' can have been so busy.
I know what you mean. Lately I've been so busy doing nothing I hardly have time to do anything.